The Student Room Group

Racist Woman On Tram - Charged.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nmds
There are many.

No Indian ethnic group is predominantly Negroid. All ethnic groups indigenous to India are of Indian ethnicity -- by definition.

With regard to Gandhi, he specifically resisted Westernisation and made efforts to reinvigorate traditional Indian customs and occupations. No civic nationalist he.

Actually Indians are caucasian, one's race is determined purely by their bone structure and not by the colour of their skin
Original post by martine araka
Actually Indians are caucasian, one's race is determined purely by their bone structure and not by the colour of their skin

Caucasian is an outdated, pseudoscientific racial classification. On a gennetic map you will see that Indians are very different to Europeans. And Indians are closer to sub sharans blacks than Europeans are.
Reply 82
Arrested and held?

I wonder if the young man featuring in "Real N**** Response to My Tram Experience" was arrested.
Reply 83
Original post by martine araka

I don't know why you're directing this at me?

Indians are generally caucasoid where that term is used; caucasian generally means 'White' i.e., European. The great continental race divisions, more often these days 'continental population groupings' - they pretend race does not exist while studying it and identifying it in ever more detail - are usually defined by genes these days, although forensic anthroplogists among others can identify most people's race from skull shape.
Reply 84
Original post by nmds
I don't know why you're directing this at me?

Indians are generally caucasoid where that term is used; caucasian generally means 'White' i.e., European. The great continental race divisions, more often these days 'continental population groupings' - they pretend race does not exist while studying it and identifying it in ever more detail - are usually defined by genes these days, although forensic anthroplogists among others can identify most people's race from skull shape.

Yeah Caucasian refers to the northern European so the english, Russians, Polish, Georgian etc. I'm not sure about Spanish and Greek though, as ike myself their hair and skin is much darker in comparison. But at the same time the Bone structure thing does make sence
Reply 85
Original post by n.latham
Yeah Caucasian refers to the northern European so the english, Russians, Polish, Georgian etc. I'm not sure about Spanish and Greek though, as ike myself their hair and skin is much darker in comparison. But at the same time the Bone structure thing does make sence
Caucasian is synonymous with White in most places where it's still used to denote race. It never excludes southern Europeans. In older text books you'll sometimes see the term used synonymously with caucasoid where south and central asian populations morphologically similar to Europeans are also included.

Obviously it also means someone or something from the Caucasus region.
Reply 86
Original post by Mr_Deeds
He's dead. Moreover, if you "really do" then, like Mill, you accept the need to impose some restrictions on freedom of expression. The latter is wholly contrary to everything you have said in this thread, hitherto. You seem confused...
It's generally understood that all the major political freedoms, of speech, association, to own weapons, etc., extend only to adults. It wouldn't occur to anyone used to discussing these issues to highlight that fact.

Now you're just embarrassing yourself. Mill was clearly prejudiced towards a class of people who he viewed as being more "civilised" or "cultivated" but he certainly wasn't racist. In fact, Mill almost worshipped French society in his essay entitled: Considerations on Representative Government (1861). That's unfortunate for you because France was then, as it is now, a highly multicultural society.

Mill was not talking about social classes within Britain but about other societies less politically developed than ours. Consult your own referee, Nigel Warburton:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=lE-ZwlvlENYC&pg=PA311&lpg=PA311&dq=%22backward+states+of+society+in+which+the+race+itself+may+be+considered+in+its+nonage%22.&source=bl&ots=k4rZneWwii&sig=r-QGPCgaw17JogQXFxo5IR2bliA&hl=en&ei=l5rcTt2BI4fRhAe4pvXxBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22backward%20states%20of%20society%20in%20which%20the%20race%20itself%20may%20be%20considered%20in%20its%20nonage%22.&f=false

or for another confirmation,

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=I54ncNr3v9QC&pg=PA149&dq=%22backward+states+of+society+in+which+the+race+itself+may+be+considered+in+its+nonage%22.&hl=en&ei=Op3cTqHiHcvxsgam6oHfCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=%22backward%20states%20of%20society%20in%20which%20the%20race%20itself%20may%20be%20considered%20in%20its%20nonage%22.&f=false

And I would love if England were as multicultural as France c.1861.

Have a read of Nigel Warbuton's (short) book on Free Speech, of Mill he says: "John Stuart Mill, the most celebrated contributor to debates about the limits of individual freedom... set the boundary at the point where speech or writing was an incitement to violence.
Who wouldn't? I said to you earlier in this exchange that speech designed to bring about harm was outside the boundary of what is acceptable.

On that note, I am no longer having this highly futile conversation with you. You don't seem to know what you believe; it's quite clear, as a matter of fact, that you and Mill have completely different ideas about the extent of free speech but yet you persist in using his writing to advocate your own backwards stance. :rolleyes:

I agree with Mill entirely on the matter and value of free speech -- and my posts have been entirely consistent and in accord with Mill. I have also pointed out that this case provides a perfect example of what Mill warned against regarding radical diversity of race, ethnicity, language and culture.
Original post by Vikki1805
I know a thread was created relating to the fact this woman had gone off on a racist rant on a London tram, but I'm not sure if anyone had created a thread about the fact she has now been charged.

"Police have charged a woman after footage of a racist rant on board an east London tram was uploaded to YouTube.

34-year-old Emma West of New Addington, Croydon, has been charged of a racially aggravated public order offence in connection with the video. Ms West will appear before Croydon Magistrates Court on Tuesday. "

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/woman-arrested-after-racial-outburst-goes-viral.html

Here's my views on this.

Frankly, I can't justify the public outrage at this, all because one women voiced her racist and uneducated biased facts on the tram - Either we are very ignorant as a nation or we choose to ignore the fact that this kind of thing happens every single day. To say that we ignore things like this, is most probably true, I mean... There was a video posted in relation to the women, taken a few weeks before which shows EDL members publicly attacking members of different races in similar situations i.e. on buses and trams etc. I mean, the women has every right to voice her opinions otherwise we are going against freedom of speech however, in that specific context in a RACIST context... I think the women should be publicly hanged, and made an example off... to show that

This nation of freedom of speech and equal humanitarian rights, will not tolerate such disgusting abuses and racial intolerances witnessed.

The women? Have you noticed during the first 10 seconds of the video, her child is wearing a Burberry Cap? A BURBERRY cap on a 3-4 year old? Are you kidding me? Even if you had no audio on, you would quite clearly tell that whatever this women was going to say would of been total and utter ****e anyway (sorry for Burberry stereotype but let us face the fact)

In addition to this, the ironic fact is that... without diversity in this country, we wouldn't be the advanced nation that we are with the legal protections that we have. I mean, diverse ethnic origins make up a big portion of our mainland workforce, and there she is telling other ethnic people to go back to their homeland... it brings into context the famous slave song " ZION WE WANA GO HOME, " It's ridiculous.

I hope she is hung. I really do. There should be a law that states people like her should not be allowed out to the general public... regardless of if she has mental issues, if she has mental health incapacities then please for the love of all things good, why the heck is she allowed on a crowded tram? We have to not use health as an excuse, she made the decision to go on that tram, she made the decision to say those words, therefore she is fully accountable.

I would have no regrets if she was Hung, because it's people like her along with the EDL that give the UK a bad name - admittedly it is within their rights to say whatever they want but lets face it... racist women on tram? vs. standard peaceful tram journey?

Thank you.

EDIT: You cannot bring Mill into this because what Mill did was essentially set out brief rules, that are then divided up into weak and strong... so to say that this women was following some sort of ideological misfit perhaps would be true however, that misfit isn't likely to have come from any of our favourite philosophers, Bentham, Kant, Nietzsche etc. The fact that people think what she is speaking is some kind of universal truth is another point that is ridiculous. All because 1 women spouts some utter bull**** about how ethnic diversity is wrong for Britain, we all go mad. Who cares what that bitch thinks? It's not a universal truth (Kant + Mill out the window) Indeed Nietzsche said that our truth falls to perspectivism.

If you really have to rely on other philosophers to justify what a complete waste of space this women is to Humanity then I think you need to re-evaluate your ethical foundations. To allow this women to live would be to take a liberal stance on racism and public disorder. If we make an example out of one, then others who want to participate in this tom-foolery hokey pokey of dragon fire games, then fine... they will meet their end the same way she would.

P.s. I don't condone murder or capital punishment at all, I am very leftist on the humanitarian side, but people like that women... just prove what a pig ignorant ****ing nation of ****ers we are supporting with our taxes. At the least, we can leave her on the street to die. I am not paying my taxes to support people like her.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 88
Who wouldn't? I said to you earlier in this exchange that speech designed to bring about harm was outside the boundary of what is acceptable.

I don't believe that you did. It's rather interesting that you've now contradicted yourself entirely. To take but a few classic examples:

nmds
You are not free if you may not express yourself freely.

nmds
I do not agree. All speech, all writings, all art should be permitted.

nmds
One cannot abuse one’s rights they’re yours to do whatever you want with otherwise they are not rights.

nmds
It's ony a right if you are free to do with it whatever you want. The 'rights' you talk about are better termed limited privileges.

nmds
if it’s a qualified right] then it’s not a right.

Your arguments are non-sesnsical and you don't seem to know where you stand. One minute you state that a right is not a right unless it's an absolute right and then the next minute you say that "speech designed to bring about harm [is]... unacceptable". I'm going to lie in a dark room now. Thanks for the headache.
Reply 89
I don't believe that you did.

Post 35: you asked about some hypothetical case and whether he should enjoy the right to say certain things. I replied:

Sounds like he means to ... harm people

(so, no!)

Even before that my very first post in this thread said 'no harm, no crime.'

It did not occur to me -- as it did not occur to Mill -- that when discussing the principle of free speech I should always include a coda reminding the mindless that it could be quite appropriate to deny free speech to children, lunatics, and advocates of violence. The harm principle is kind of a given in these discussions. But still, twice in the same thread should have been sufficient!

Less bluster, more modesty and study please. I take no pleasure in embarassing you -- I would much prefer to keep the discussion to just the ideas and leave aside all personal comments.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 90
To be honest I feel quite sorry for her now. She was only voicing her opinion - yes, it was very offensive and doing it in a public area wasn't the best place, but she is still entitled to it. Racism happens a lot, and she was just unfortunate enough to be caught on camera. Obviously I think she deserved to have some form of punishment but national humiliation is a bit far.
Reply 91
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16051120

Appears to be pleading not guilty...
Reply 92
Original post by nmds
Less bluster, more modesty and study please. I take no pleasure in embarassing you -- I would much prefer to keep the discussion to just the ideas and leave aside all personal comments.

Just :rofl:. I can't even be bothered to have this discussion with you any more. My previous post says it all. You contradict yourself in almost every post; your arguments are unintelligible (not to mention, completely ill-founded). I've finished my studying, thanks. Good luck with yours. Seems you still have some distance to go. :smile:
Reply 93
Just :rofl:. I can't even be bothered to have this discussion with you any more. My previous post says it all. You contradict yourself in almost every post; your arguments are unintelligible (not to mention, completely ill-founded). I've finished my studying, thanks. Good luck with yours. Seems you still have some distance to go. :smile:

Who do you think you're kidding? You haven't identified any contradictions - there are no contradictions in the orthodox defense of free speech I have made - and I haven't made any difficult to understand arguments. You got caught up in arguing the man instead of the idea and lost focus is all that happened.

I quoted Mill’s line about the 'fullest liberty' because this represents my viewpoint (I suppose it’s necessary to say ‘with the usual caveats’). You obviously googled the phrase and rather than reply to the point I was making you responded with a further quotation from Mill that you took to mean he would not grant free speech to immature not terribly bright people like Tram Lady, but which in fact concerned children and the congenitally retarded -- as would have been clear to you if you had been reading the work in its original and full context and were not just googling for soundbites. 0-1.

The same thing happened when you turned up another out of context quote that you took to imply that Mill would repress Tram Lady’s speech on account of her social class. In fact, and as I showed, Mill was intending to say that certain foreign societies lacking the advantage of our mature intellectual and political culture ought not to enjoy the fuller freedoms that we can cope with. 0-2.

As an aside I observed that Mill had written about the value of racial, ethnic and cultural homogeneity in maintaining freedoms and functioning political systems but deliberately did not provide the quotation because I already suspected you’d googled the previous passage I provided and wanted to see if you would show any familiarity with this reference -- but obviously it was unknown to you since you came back with a weak and unrelated point about waycism and les Frogs. 0-3.

When you later posted a triumphal note on Mill’s harm principle and its supposed refutation of my comments in this thread, even though my first post in this thread said ‘no harm, no crime’, and in an earlier reply to you I had said that speech which puts people in danger should not be protected, it became clear you were not even reading my posts but were just fulminating righteously against someone whose politics you dislike. 0-4.

Like I said, no hard feelings, but please in future just stick to the ideas if you have any. Everyone comes out of it better.
Reply 94
Original post by nmds
Who do you think you're kidding? You haven't identified any contradictions

Your whole babblings have been a mass of contradiction. In every single post but your most recent you've maintained the absurd argument that free speech is only a right if it's wholly unqualified. Don't make me quote your last gazillion posts again - I did that about 5 or 6 posts above this one and it wasn't pretty.

Now you're telling me that free speech can be qualified if it incites violence?! So what is your position? Thus far everybody has been led to believe that you think one can do, to quote you, "whatever one wants [with their right to free speech]". Now you're telling me you think it's legitimate to impose restrictions in certain circumstances (i.e. the very point I made at the outset to which you took such unreserved exception).

I quoted Mill’s line about the 'fullest liberty' because this represents my viewpoint (I suppose it’s necessary to say ‘with the usual caveats’). You obviously googled the phrase and rather than reply to the point I was making you responded with a further quotation from Mill that you took to mean he would not grant free speech to immature not terribly bright people like Tram Lady, but which in fact concerned children and the congenitally retarded -- as would have been clear to you if you had been reading the work in its original and full context and were not just googling for soundbites. 0-1.

Correction. You missed the whole point of the post but because I was so tired and bored of having this discussion with you I let it pass. My point was, Mill realised the need to impose restrictions on free speech in certain circumstances. Your argument up until that point had been, as abovementioned, that free speech should never be censored. My point was that you and Mill had fundamentally different views about the extent of free speech. That was, of course, until you made a complete U-turn on everything you allegedly stand for.

The same thing happened when you turned up another out of context quote that you took to imply that Mill would repress Tram Lady’s speech on account of her social class. In fact, and as I showed, Mill was intending to say that certain foreign societies lacking the advantage of our mature intellectual and political culture ought not to enjoy the fuller freedoms that we can cope with. 0-2

I don't recall ever having said a word about social class. Again, I suspect, a result of your inability to read.

As an aside I observed that Mill had written about the value of racial, ethnic and cultural homogeneity in maintaining freedoms and functioning political systems but deliberately did not provide the quotation because I already suspected you’d googled the previous passage I provided and wanted to see if you would show any familiarity with this reference -- but obviously it was unknown to you since you came back with a weak and unrelated point about waycism and les Frogs. 0-3.

You say what? In English, please.

When you later posted a triumphal note on Mill’s harm principle and its supposed refutation of my comments in this thread, even though my first post in this thread said ‘no harm, no crime’, and in an earlier reply to you I had said that speech which puts people in danger should not be protected, it became clear you were not even reading my posts but were just fulminating righteously against someone whose politics you dislike. 0-4.

Like I said, no hard feelings, but please in future just stick to the ideas if you have any. Everyone comes out of it better.

May I just highlight the fact that more people have had objections to your comments, in this thread, than they have to mine. To a normal person this would imply that your opinions are either unreasonable, irrational or plain wrong. Go deflate your head and be gone, troll.
Reply 95
The question of free speech as it relates to this thread turned not on incitement or age, but on whether some OPINIONS just shouldn't be allowed.

One may be a defender of free speech AND adhere to the harm principle or consider it a responsibility too much for children while still not considering it necessary to shout about these conditions at each turn. Although, as I have said, I did indeed express my approval of these conditions, even before you entered the thread -- your repeated claim that I hadn't is just getting weird now.
Original post by ChrisBan
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16051120

Appears to be pleading not guilty...

I did think she's being an idiot, but I heard that if you claim to be drunk and Muslim (it is a religion not an ethnicity) you can get away with worse.
Reply 97
Original post by nmds
The question of free speech as it relates to this thread turned not on incitement or age, but on whether some OPINIONS just shouldn't be allowed.

One may be a defender of free speech AND adhere to the harm principle or consider it a responsibility too much for children while still not considering it necessary to shout about these conditions at each turn. Although, as I have said, I did indeed express my approval of these conditions, even before you entered the thread -- your repeated claim that I hadn't is just getting weird now.

OK :yy:
Reply 98
Original post by PendulumBoB
I did think she's being an idiot, but I heard that if you claim to be drunk and Muslim (it is a religion not an ethnicity) you can get away with worse.

Ahh I look like an idiot now... when I posted that link the story said she pleaded not guilty oops
Original post by ChrisBan
Ahh I look like an idiot now... when I posted that link the story said she pleaded not guilty oops

Not your mistske. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending