The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

StaVix
gerbils grrrr cant stand the small fury things... they make my spine shiver

lol, fair enough :smile:
loser88
HEHEHE :wink: Glad that Dawn's on the mend properly now!! I like gerbils- it's best if you have two or more though as they're sociable animals. Nb. that they're at their most active in the night- so if you just have one room they'll keep you up all night. Also I can imagine it being a bit smelly in just one room....but I don't know your living arrangements :biggrin: Also, if you're in halls or whatever I don't know your Uni's policy on the keeping of pets. But I do like gerbils- much more fun than hamsters!! Mice too are nice..:biggrin:

I jsut happen to have a friend from primary who is a year older than me who has a flat that she shares with her boyfriend, it has a free room so she rents it to me :biggrin:
i read that they weren't nocturnal. never mind. Although i have just my room i can roam round the flat as i please and i'm sure they won't mind if i put the gerbils in the same room as their hamster if it does start keeping me awake all night :tongue: shhh, don't tell my friend they're nicer than hamsters :biggrin:
arghhh, off to maths
Reply 1002
Why is there not a TSR horse soc? as there seems to be every other kind going?

Coss.. maths poor you!!
Reply 1003
Hey guys, I've got a massive favour to ask....

For my personal study in art I'm studying futurism. The artists that formed the movement mainly concentrated on movement of animals and people. So, for the observation element (where I have to record obversations... ) I've been taking photos of my pooch and friends horses. However, because mums camera isn't great and the batteries were low on the day I went to the yard (first time for about 6 weeks as I've been working so hard) I'm a bit short on photos of moving horses. I also don't have my own horse so don't have access to horses whenever I like which is a bit of a pain.

I'm after sequences really, a few photos in a matter of seconds type thing.

If any of you have the chance this weekend, is there any chance you take photos please?

Or, if there's any of you who already have photos, please could I borrow them?

I'm after side on views, not really head on.

Any at all would be a great help.

By the way, riders (if the horse is ridden) will not be included, I'm air-brushing them out! Feild shots would be ACE....

Thank you so much in advance.

Love, Kat xx

P.S. If possible, please could any photos be PMed to me as then I won't have to hunt through this thread.

I know it's asking a lot but please please please. Thank you ever so much. :rolleyes:
Sorry K@ I don't really have any....most of mine are videos.

Squee, had my first ride in about 2 months yesterday as part of the uni society taster! Was only 15 mins but a ride is a ride. I was put on a cob which was a bit of a shock as I normally ride smaller ponies or narrower horses! I was expected it to be a plod but I got tanked away with in the first canter :smile: and the second time was ready for the battle to get it into the corner. I wasn't too impressed with the riding school but apprantely we're also looking at some others.
Reply 1005
silens_fatuus
Sorry K@ I don't really have any....most of mine are videos.

Squee, had my first ride in about 2 months yesterday as part of the uni society taster! Was only 15 mins but a ride is a ride. I was put on a cob which was a bit of a shock as I normally ride smaller ponies or narrower horses! I was expected it to be a plod but I got tanked away with in the first canter :smile: and the second time was ready for the battle to get it into the corner. I wasn't too impressed with the riding school but apprantely we're also looking at some others.

Videos are good as I can take stills from them....

Hurrah for riding! I rode when I went to the yard t'other day too and I'm still aching as, like you, I'm used to riding ponies and rode a very wide cob! Whereabouts are you at uni? the New rider website is useful for looking up riding schools.
Reply 1006
Anyone else hate cleaning tack?
I have 3 bridles, 2 saddles and various other bits and pieces all on my kitchen floor... I can't be bothered, it doesn't help matters when I have really bad skin so the saddle soap makes my skin horrid and itchy :frown: !

...Give me a stable to muck out anyday...but cleaning tack! Argh!
Hanski
Anyone else hate cleaning tack?
I have 3 bridles, 2 saddles and various other bits and pieces all on my kitchen floor... I can't be bothered, it doesn't help matters when I have really bad skin so the saddle soap makes my skin horrid and itchy :frown: !

...Give me a stable to muck out anyday...but cleaning tack! Argh!

i actually enjoy cleaning tack :smile: if the saddle soap reacts with your skin then wear plastic/rubber/latex gloves. i find warm oil helps get the grease off then saddle soap gets the sheen back, uses less water on the leather too.

StaVix
Why is there not a TSR horse soc? as there seems to be every other kind going?

Coss.. maths poor you!!

There is a horse soc, i created "the horse fanatics soc" but this thread go more people viewing and everyone posted here instead so its kinda a dead soc:frown:

Whats weird is i actually like maths but just not at 9am when i could be on the internet instead :biggrin:
K@
Videos are good as I can take stills from them....

Hurrah for riding! I rode when I went to the yard t'other day too and I'm still aching as, like you, I'm used to riding ponies and rode a very wide cob! Whereabouts are you at uni? the New rider website is useful for looking up riding schools.

Im at Chester. The schools are being sorted out through the society. I've got the bug now...just want to have a proper ride and a jump.
I'll attempt to pm you the videos but my internet is really slow in my dorm so it may not work. I've got some of us loose-jumping a horse, and me going x-country. Just don't look at me on the x-country one, I'm awful and they're not big jumps either. I just bumble over little things :p:
coss
I jsut happen to have a friend from primary who is a year older than me who has a flat that she shares with her boyfriend, it has a free room so she rents it to me :biggrin:
i read that they weren't nocturnal. never mind. Although i have just my room i can roam round the flat as i please and i'm sure they won't mind if i put the gerbils in the same room as their hamster if it does start keeping me awake all night :tongue: shhh, don't tell my friend they're nicer than hamsters :biggrin:
arghhh, off to maths

AHA!! And I just happen to have a best friend who has a flat in London :wink: Do you get a deal on your rent?? Oh, maybe I'm wrong but I thought they were...GERBILS ARE MUCH NICER THAN HAMSTERS!!!! NAHNAHNAHNAHNAH!!!!
I HATED and was rubbish at maths- but then I LOVE Geography- just not at 9am either!! :wink: :rolleyes: :biggrin:
i have a good deal for rent as it includes my tv liscense, broadband internet, weekend and evening calls. i do have to pay for food on top of rent but thats about all i pay extra. we go and do a big shop once a month and we pay a third of the food bill each, then we do other mini shops so we work well together. She nearly forgot to collect her rent the other day, it was so funny when i said "by the way i have your rent at the flat". I HATED and was rubbish at geography :biggrin:

Dawn's leg is so much better (although very purple). the purple spray went through my cheap latex gloves today so i now look as if i have a bruise on my palm. :rolleyes: dawn has become the stroppy mare but i love her for it :biggrin:
Harry is getting his quirky cold thing back again, as the weather gets colder he gets more tense through his back and we end up in the air with canters to halt and various other things :frown: i now have to go back to a quick lunge before riding just to get him warmed up before i mount, then i have to do lots of sprials and circles to get him swinging through his back, horses... :wink::biggrin: :smile:
coss
i have a good deal for rent as it includes my tv liscense, broadband internet, weekend and evening calls. i do have to pay for food on top of rent but thats about all i pay extra. we go and do a big shop once a month and we pay a third of the food bill each, then we do other mini shops so we work well together. She nearly forgot to collect her rent the other day, it was so funny when i said "by the way i have your rent at the flat". I HATED and was rubbish at geography :biggrin:

Dawn's leg is so much better (although very purple). the purple spray went through my cheap latex gloves today so i now look as if i have a bruise on my palm. :rolleyes: dawn has become the stroppy mare but i love her for it :biggrin:
Harry is getting his quirky cold thing back again, as the weather gets colder he gets more tense through his back and we end up in the air with canters to halt and various other things :frown: i now have to go back to a quick lunge before riding just to get him warmed up before i mount, then i have to do lots of sprials and circles to get him swinging through his back, horses... :wink::biggrin: :smile:

Nice!! I have discouned rent and bills, I half the food and get the little bits like fresh bread etc. my flatmate mainly eats at her restaurant (I do when I'm working there) so any cooking at home it eaten by me anyway- risotto last week- yum!! I pay the phone bill that I've clocked up and half the internet/tv etc. hehehe...fair enough!! That would be why YOU'RE doing MATHS and I'M doing Geoggers!! :wink:

Getting flack on NR AGAIN for saying that clipping HEARTS into your horse's arse is wrong as they are not fashion accessories...:rolleyes: CHRIST!!

Is good to head her leg is getting there. The pony I used to ride, Rosie sounds V much like Harry. If it was a cold morning and I mounted- she'd most likely run off and try and buck me off repeatedly until she was warm!! (Not able to lunge as riding school, but I often arrived early and just walked or trotted her in hand for a bit). She also used to have a Happy Mouth- i.e. putting the bit in at least 10 mins before riding to give it a chance to 'warm-up'!! She would also periodically PRETEND to be lame (the RS had EVERYONE out, x-rays the lot but she was just bored and wanted a holiday of box rest!! :rolleyes: ) Until she was ready to be jumped again- normally 1-4 weeks!! Funny little girlie...then she's be back as good as gold (well insane but you know what I mean!!) Silly mare, but GOD I loved her- rode solely her, every week (nearly) for 6 years and knew her inside out, I was the only one she would jump properly for. :biggrin: Then she was retired due to actual back/leg problems and not enjoying life as much as she should at the yard. :frown: No pics on here but I'd show if I did...:frown:

In case you were wondering I am up at this time becasue after trying to do coursework ALL day, I was hit with inspiration and the ability to type at about 12:30 so here I am....:wink: great....:rolleyes: :biggrin:
loser88
Nice!! I have discouned rent and bills, I half the food and get the little bits like fresh bread etc. my flatmate mainly eats at her restaurant (I do when I'm working there) so any cooking at home it eaten by me anyway- risotto last week- yum!! I pay the phone bill that I've clocked up and half the internet/tv etc. hehehe...fair enough!! That would be why YOU'RE doing MATHS and I'M doing Geoggers!! :wink:

Getting flack on NR AGAIN for saying that clipping HEARTS into your horse's arse is wrong as they are not fashion accessories...:rolleyes: CHRIST!!

Is good to head her leg is getting there. The pony I used to ride, Rosie sounds V much like Harry. If it was a cold morning and I mounted- she'd most likely run off and try and buck me off repeatedly until she was warm!! (Not able to lunge as riding school, but I often arrived early and just walked or trotted her in hand for a bit). She also used to have a Happy Mouth- i.e. putting the bit in at least 10 mins before riding to give it a chance to 'warm-up'!! She would also periodically PRETEND to be lame (the RS had EVERYONE out, x-rays the lot but she was just bored and wanted a holiday of box rest!! :rolleyes: ) Until she was ready to be jumped again- normally 1-4 weeks!! Funny little girlie...then she's be back as good as gold (well insane but you know what I mean!!) Silly mare, but GOD I loved her- rode solely her, every week (nearly) for 6 years and knew her inside out, I was the only one she would jump properly for. :biggrin: Then she was retired due to actual back/leg problems and not enjoying life as much as she should at the yard. :frown: No pics on here but I'd show if I did...:frown:

In case you were wondering I am up at this time becasue after trying to do coursework ALL day, I was hit with inspiration and the ability to type at about 12:30 so here I am....:wink: great....:rolleyes: :biggrin:

They really do take things the wrong way and don't READ the posts properly so they see bits and put them together and are in horror at what they have read. if i think something sounds bad i read it a few times and then realise i missed out a crucial word or something. At least the original poster didn't seem too bothered. I am in agreel (how do you spell that?!) with you though! hearts are just not meant to be clipped into horses bums. the most i do to my horses in the effort to make them "look pretty" is to plait the mane but that also has a fuction - keeps it from getting caught in the reins! i don't understand why anyone would think it looks "cute", ok, i'm ranting too :p:

I know what you mean about getting a connection with a horse at a riding school. there was a welsh section D (i am not a welshie person) but he was an exception and he jumped really well for me and we did the tightest jump offs, no one else would put him to the fences in the same way but he did have a sparkle. unfortunately there were so many horses that would play up that i couldn't ride him all the time as i ws put on the horse that was most likely to play up! it was fun but sometimes i just wanted something sane :p:

I think the combination of rich grass and colder weather has gone straight to Harry's head! i lunged him yesterday and he just took off on the lunge, flying changes everything round a 15m (max) circle. eventually got him to do some trot, walk, trot, walk, trot, walk transitions then walked a bigger circle so although the lunge line wouldn't give too big a circle he was still on a big circle (if that makes sense) and i asked for a short canter, he went nuts again. i must have lunged for 20-30mins with him taking off and being naughty/innatentive and it was just so frustrating because it wasn't as if i was asking to work really hard, i was quite happy to have him do a short canter but he wasn't! so after half an hour-ish on the lunge i ride him and i can feel he's a little puffed but he is still bopping! we cantered as that was the sanest pace. in trot he was going much too fast but was still behind the leg and he kept taking every opertunity to buck/take off or plain stop so he was a nightmare. have a riding lesson fri so probably take him and let RI help me through it, i had run out of ideas!
I did leg yield, shoulder in, haunches in, spirals, turn on/about the forhand, turn on/about the haunches, all to try and get his attention but he just did what i asked and continued looking for things to spook at :mad:

ok, another rant over:p:

Dawn on the other hand worked beautifully yesterday and was a little angel:smile: still can't do much lateral work as she gets tense but she has finally calmed down and accepts the contact (she's only 29!):biggrin:
Also our ground is quite wet so i can't work too hard on it.
Will have to get some more up to date piccies of my two (maybe just the angel dawn :biggrin:)

i'm off back to NR... see if i can find some people that don't jump down people's throats :biggrin:
i have gerbils for uni life!!! miss the horses loads but i now have something soft to stroke (they don't like cuddles) Am riding later so am excited as rides alway seem so far apart now
I had a lesson on Wednesday with my Uni riding club (not seen Conny for 4 weeks). Anyway, whenever we stopped the horse's heart was beating really heavily. It was only a lesson doing light canter work and a few small jumps. I was really quite worried about him but I thought that the stables did not seem very nice. He was muddy during the lesson. I know that does not hurt him and I do it at home, but I thought that they should have made more effort for visiters to keep the poor love clean.

What causes heavy heart beat?
lack of fitness, that doesn't sound good, is it bhs approved?
God yer I guess lack of fitness. I thought mine had got unfit at times but nothing like that. I don't know whether its BHS approved but the instructor is BHS qualified. One would guess there is a difference
coss
i have gerbils for uni life!!! miss the horses loads but i now have something soft to stroke (they don't like cuddles) Am riding later so am excited as rides alway seem so far apart now

YAY! GERBILS!! My first ever time babysiting- the kids gerbil had died and she wanted to play with it- I was like...ummmm- he's asleep maybe he'll play tomorrow.....:eek: :biggrin:
grrr... it was chucking it down fri so my riding instructor postpone my lesson til tomorrow. fingers and toes crossed!!! rode dawn today and she was a little angel (as always *cough cough*). then i did ride and lead to give harry a quick walk as if it ride him he's gone back to the lunatic and becomes very backward so i lead him on dawn, fun! have been cleaning tack tonight so am lots happier

Latest