The Student Room Group

Taking my horse to university

I’m currently looking at going to either Bristol or RVC vet school for the 4 year course. I have two horses that I would love to take with me ( obviously not for the first year at RVC) and wondering if anyone has any experience with this at either of these universities so I can get an idea of costs.
Probably not too much help but I live around the Beds/Herts region so know of some liveries etc around the RVC area. For full (even part tbh) livery I think it’d be hard going finding something under £500pcm (and most probably quite a bit above that) especially as you go closer to the London areas, but DIY obviously has a large variance (how far you’re willing to travel, the facilities etc) and I reckon you could find something under £200pcm. I’m not sure whether RVC allows own horses on site like Nottingham does, something you could probably either find on their site or email them about though.
Reply 2
Original post by RambleAmple
Probably not too much help but I live around the Beds/Herts region so know of some liveries etc around the RVC area. For full (even part tbh) livery I think it’d be hard going finding something under £500pcm (and most probably quite a bit above that) especially as you go closer to the London areas, but DIY obviously has a large variance (how far you’re willing to travel, the facilities etc) and I reckon you could find something under £200pcm. I’m not sure whether RVC allows own horses on site like Nottingham does, something you could probably either find on their site or email them about though.

That’s really helpful thank you 🙂
I'm also looking to keep my two horses somewhere! I'm an international student coming from Canada and I've been accepted at both Bristol and Surrey for the VetMed program (haven't decided where I'll go yet). I've found looking for places through the Livery Yard website has been a good resource, but I'm also in the same boat with looking at keeping rates below £500pcm for part/assisted per horse.
Reply 4
Unis dont have stables.
You will have to pay for private stabling somewhere else - probably miles from the Uni.
Leave the horse at home
Original post by McGinger
Unis dont have stables.
You will have to pay for private stabling somewhere else - probably miles from the Uni.
Leave the horse at home

loving this thread 🐎
Reply 6
Unis dont have stables.
Leave the horse at home

Actually the University of Nottingham offers livery spaces to students who want to bring their horses with them to uni. Many unis which offer animal related courses offer stables to students in exchange for being able to use the horses in teaching. I was just wondering what people’s experiences are that these universities. Even if not, there will be livery yards around the uni as they are in rural settings. I was simply asking for people’s experiences in these places, not whether I should or shouldn’t take them, as that matter is already decided.
Reply 7
I suggest you email Bristol and ask them exactly this question :
'Can I bring my horse to University'.
I suggest you email Bristol and ask them exactly this question :
'Can I bring my horse to University'.

when writer Dolly Alderton was studying English at Exeter ( she really wanted Bristol) she claims the most rebellious/activist thing a student ever did was to campaign for the right to ride her horse across campus to lectures!
Reply 9
Original post by MedMama
when writer Dolly Alderton was studying English at Exeter ( she really wanted Bristol) she claims the most rebellious/activist thing a student ever did was to campaign for the right to ride her horse across campus to lectures!

Sums up the ex-public school hoo-rays at Exeter.
Sums up the ex-public school hoo-rays at Exeter.

ah, but in the context of this thread, namely working towards becoming a vet and possibly an equestrian vet, it is not ridiculous to keep a horse or two ( far from it. I love horses.)
I don’t know why anyone would debate whether a student should have a horse lol the limiting factor is usually financial, but that’s not an issue for everyone. In which case a horse can be put on full/part livery which means the stable they’re staying at have people who look after it, and the student can still come up and enjoy riding and time with the horse as a hobby and de-stressor from uni without a massive time commitment. Liverpool doesn’t have a livery stables for students (unlike say Nottingham which does, so obviously students owning horses isn’t an issue for them) but there are plenty in the surrounding areas and I know a few vet students who keep a horse (some I think aren’t even on part/full livery and so will have to care for it daily) and are getting on fine.
Nottingham trent brackenhurst campus does. we saw the stables there, very good 🙂
Reply 13
Pulling up to uni on horseback like you're arthur morgan. Fairs, I rate it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending