The Student Room Group

Economics and Business with East European Studies

Hi all! I applied and have received an offer from UCL for Economics and Business with East European Studies! but now i'm regretting choosing this degree...i mean, im asian! I don't want to learn about east europe! Did i make a huge mistake? can i avoid the east european part or can I switch majors or something?

Thanks!
Reply 1
You cannot avoid the Eastern Europe part. The whole course focuses on it and it's administered and taught not by the Economics Department but by the School of Slavonic and Eastern Europe Studies.
Reply 2
I would not say it is focused on that, it's an economics and business course WITH East European Studies and majority of compulsory modules (but not all of them) are economics and business-related.
Reply 3
Original post by shake_it
I would not say it is focused on that, it's an economics and business course WITH East European Studies and majority of compulsory modules (but not all of them) are economics and business-related.

Sorry, but you're wrong there.

The programme is taught by the SSEES, including the core economics and business modules. This means they have an Eastern European slant. I'm doing a straight Economics degree, and given most of the core texts are American, all the examples we cover are to do with the US, and a handful are to do with Western Europe.

In addition, you can see here,
http://www.ssees.ucl.ac.uk/baebees.htm

A quarter of your second year is devoted to studying the economics of emerging markets in Eastern Europe and Russia. Then, in third year, all economics modules have a strong focus on Eastern Europe or Russia.
Reply 4
Now, it's actually a good course, and provides a very applied approach to the discipline, and also gives you a good grounding in a very important topic - as countries in South America, South Asia, and East Asia are experiencing the growth, development, and transition of their economies to full free market economies with strong and stable governments. (Even though the countries I've mentioned may not be emerging economies from communism, they're nonetheless emerging from a previous state of disarray whether it be corruption, lack of political infrastructure, lack of social infrastructure, or any other myriad of reasons.)
Reply 5
Original post by .ACS.
Sorry, but you're wrong there.

The programme is taught by the SSEES, including the core economics and business modules. This means they have an Eastern European slant. I'm doing a straight Economics degree, and given most of the core texts are American, all the examples we cover are to do with the US, and a handful are to do with Western Europe.

In addition, you can see here,
http://www.ssees.ucl.ac.uk/baebees.htm

A quarter of your second year is devoted to studying the economics of emerging markets in Eastern Europe and Russia. Then, in third year, all economics modules have a strong focus on Eastern Europe or Russia.
As long as you are much more knowledgable in this area than me, you are probably right ;]

How does this course compare itself to Economics L100 when it comes to employablity, career prospects and salaries after graduation?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by shake_it
As long as you are much more knowledgable in this area than me, you are probably right ;]

How does this course compare itself to Economics L100 when it comes to employablity, career prospects and salaries after graduation?

In terms of employability, I'm not entirely sure. You'd have to look at the UCL official figures for that. These figures, however, are often misleading.

Generally however as it's still nonetheless a course from UCL, you'll be well prepared for the career market. Salaries will depend on the job you take on, not the university you attend. Additionally a lot of the work is up to you in finding a job; the name of the university may get your application noticed, but you still need to perform in the online tests and in the interviews and group assessment centres.
Reply 7
Original post by .ACS.
Generally however as it's still nonetheless a course from UCL, you'll be well prepared for the career market. Salaries will depend on the job you take on, not the university you attend. Additionally a lot of the work is up to you in finding a job; the name of the university may get your application noticed, but you still need to perform in the online tests and in the interviews and group assessment centres.
I've always thought of Economics BA title as "less attractive" than BSc in terms of employment. Is this difference large when it comes to most desirable branches (such as IB and consulting)?
Original post by sunrainbreeze
Hi all! I applied and have received an offer from UCL for Economics and Business with East European Studies! but now i'm regretting choosing this degree...i mean, im asian! I don't want to learn about east europe! Did i make a huge mistake? can i avoid the east european part or can I switch majors or something?

Thanks!

what are your grades like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending