The Student Room Group

Sticky situation

Need help! I’m currently studying alevel history and alevel business at 6th form and for my 3rd option I have taken multiple subjects like economics media studies chemistry etc but nothing has stuck so I was thinking of talking finance but as finance isn’t technically considered an alevel I was worried it would hamper my chances at going to a top university,is this the case.help is appreciated
Original post by Lfg272727
Need help! I’m currently studying alevel history and alevel business at 6th form and for my 3rd option I have taken multiple subjects like economics media studies chemistry etc but nothing has stuck so I was thinking of talking finance but as finance isn’t technically considered an alevel I was worried it would hamper my chances at going to a top university,is this the case.help is appreciated

What do you want to study at uni and what career do you want?

I think your career and degree choice would have a bigger bearing than what you actually think you would do better in (even though it's a big factor).
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
What do you want to study at uni and what career do you want?

I think your career and degree choice would have a bigger bearing than what you actually think you would do better in (even though it's a big factor).

If I had it choose today as I may change my mind in the future it would have to be something business related or law related
Original post by Lfg272727
If I had it choose today as I may change my mind in the future it would have to be something business related or law related

Unless you're specifically telling me that you want to study finance or economics in business or do a joint degree with a modern European language, then your subject choice means very little because they generally otherwise don't care which subject you do so long you get the grade.
Generally speaking though, if you intend to go for the top end law degree courses, you would be doing essay based subjects in a wide range of subjects to show that you have the ability. Whilst there are strictly no specific subjects they require, the more academic essay based subjects are usually favoured e.g. English Lit, any European languages, Economics, Geography, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Politics.

In terms of career requirements, there is absolutely no need to do a degree to go into anything related to business. If you want to become an economist, it's recommended that you have an undergrad and a postgrad in economics, but economics is generally considered a separate discipline.
If you want to go into law, you can generally become a solicitor via SQE with a degree in any subject, although there are rumours going around that you still should do a PGDL or an LLB (law degree) for some reason. If you want to become a barrister, you would need an LLB or a PGDL.

If you have no clue of what you want to do, you can give me an idea based on the following:

What can you do day in day out without getting bored?

What can you stand and what can't you stand?

Where have you felt the most passionate? - I presume you can't answer this yet

What's important to you in a job?

Which subjects you did the best in with little to no effort?

What are your values?

What would you not shut up about in front of your friends and family?

What do you know the most about like the back of your hand?

What makes you jump out of bed and can't wait to get on with the day?

What will immediately kill all of your motivation?

What will you walk away from even if every box was ticked?

What would you keep doing even if everything was against you?

Quick Reply

Latest