The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544 (approaches and research methods) - 27th Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Ffs… I went straight to section B, saw the world ‘social’ and then spent about 10 minutes staring into space hoping a giant hole would come and swallow me up. Section A was okay but it could have gone better. For section B I did the experiments one because I hadn’t even looked at social during revision. Everyone was in absolute shock, every lesson we’d been going over behaviourist, psychodynamic and individual differences and were told it’d be very unlikely for one of them not to come.

Original post by Kalv
messed up a little bit in the designing an experiment and on section B on experimental method I kept going on about lab experiments and then I realised its field and natural aswell fml :frown:

I did that too, I think that’ll be a common mistake. I only realised I’d forgotten about field experiments when I saw the compare lab and field experiments question, I had to quickly go back and add in a few things about field experiments.

I think I did okay considering the circumstances but I’ll definitely have to resit if I’m to get an A* :frown:
I'm actually really happy social came up, it was the only one I really revised! Not happy about the correlation, but I think I did alright
What did everyone choose for the correlation? I chose intelligence's relationship with academic achievement because they seemed easy to measure, unlike aggression and etc!
Reply 123
Original post by seventwoseven
What did everyone choose for the correlation? I chose intelligence's relationship with academic achievement because they seemed easy to measure, unlike aggression and etc!

chose the same thing too! what did you choose for section b?
Reply 124
i finished 10 minutes early! lol for me finishing early is bad sign, so i must have ****ed up somewhere :P
Just totally bossed this exam.
flicked to B saw social and was soo happy!
Original post by sasha165
chose the same thing too! what did you choose for section b?

Experiments, I preferred my chances :smile: also because I was keen to do the 'psychology as a science' question because I'd spent so long revising debates!
You?
I found the section B of this exam incredibly easy! Could not believe social came up. In the core studies resit the other day Milgram came up on section B as well, both the easiest possible questions in my opinion. Did anyone else find section A really hard though!?!? What did people write about for their experiment?
Reply 128

I chose happiness with friendliness, and said I’d get participants to rate themselves for each one on a scale of 1-5.
Reply 129
Original post by bethanysmith_

I loved the fact the Social approach came up in section B!!! Just for the fact of Milgrams study, so easy to talk about. Bummed about psychodynamic/behaviourist not coming up, could have bet a lot on the fact they'd be section B! :/ Sneaky OCR...

How did everyone find section A? That was the one I found hardest... correlation was used AGAIN!!!
What did people do for their procedures?! > I hate that question.

Hope it went okay for you all!
For section A:

I did the relationship between intelligence and academic achievement and I measured this through a standard IQ test (intelligence) and GCSE results (academic achievement). Did anyone do anything similar?
I found the section B of this exam incredibly easy! Could not believe social came up. In the core studies resit the other day Milgram came up on section B as well, both the easiest possible questions in my opinion. Did anyone else find section A really hard though!?!? What did people write about for their experiment?

To be honest I didn't really find it that hard, I did struggle with one of the questions and was stuck with what it meant until the very last minute when I finally understood what to write haha! The one about 'participant variable bias'.

For the correlation I chose the relationship between "intelligence and academic achievement". I said I'd get 30 college students to do an IQ test, and then correlate their IQ test result with their amount of GCSE's acquired at a C or above.
I felt silly because I kept explaining random things like, "this is my hypothesis", "this data is ordinal", and "the method is self-report", "I'd use the spearman's rank test", "my controls are"... I wasn't sure if I was meant to do that...
To be honest I didn't really find it that hard, I did struggle with one of the questions and was stuck with what it meant until the very last minute when I finally understood what to write haha! The one about 'participant variable bias'.

For the correlation I chose the relationship between "intelligence and academic achievement". I said I'd get 30 college students to do an IQ test, and then correlate their IQ test result with their amount of GCSE's acquired at a C or above.
I felt silly because I kept explaining random things like, "this is my hypothesis", "this data is ordinal", and "the method is self-report", "I'd use the spearman's rank test", "my controls are"... I wasn't sure if I was meant to do that...

Yes - I struggled with this question as well! And I'm not sure either, I didn't really put that sort of stuff. My teacher told me to remember a simple 'who what where when how' as a guideline of what to put so I just stuck to that :smile:
Yes - I struggled with this question as well! And I'm not sure either, I didn't really put that sort of stuff. My teacher told me to remember a simple 'who what where when how' as a guideline of what to put so I just stuck to that :smile:

Ha, I probably forgot to put enough info about "who, what, where, when, how" because my teacher said to remember MCPASSED, being:

Method
Controls
Practical
Allocation of participants
Sample
S ... unfortunately I've never been able to remember this S! :P
Ethics
Design

So I put that at the top of the page and crossed it off as I went
Is 'participant variable bias' stuff like gender?
Ha, I probably forgot to put enough info about "who, what, where, when, how" because my teacher said to remember MCPASSED, being:

Method
Controls
Practical
Allocation of participants
Sample
S ... unfortunately I've never been able to remember this S! :P
Ethics
Design

So I put that at the top of the page and crossed it off as I went

Oh dear - seems we've both been taught two completely different ways to answer the question haha! We were also told to give NO evaluation at all because we would get no marks for it (in the 19 mark question.) Let's just hope the mark scheme isn't really specific...
Oh dear - seems we've both been taught two completely different ways to answer the question haha! We were also told to give NO evaluation at all because we would get no marks for it (in the 19 mark question.) Let's just hope the mark scheme isn't really specific...

Yes it really concerns me when you realise we're told different things for the exact same paper! :/
Yes it really concerns me when you realise we're told different things for the exact same paper! :/

I'm sure we'll both have done fine - we probably covered all the content. I wrote about debriefing and giving them the right to withdraw for example in mine which covers ethics, so I'm sure it'll be fine :smile:
Original post by lushaholic693
Is 'participant variable bias' stuff like gender?

I'm not entirely sure... haha, I put that my sample were all in a college and therefore likely to have at least 5 GCSE's which would skew my variable... I was really, really stuck on it
hi friends! how did we all find the exam today? did anyone do 'good humour correlated with popularity'? want to see what you did for it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending