The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust Summer School 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kateeeeey
I go to a grammar school too, although I don't think that many people go to Oxbridge.. Hahaha good move! Let me know if you're successful! :smile:

do you know when we find out? yuo too, good luck1 what are you applying for?
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
Have your schools told you that they've received information about your applications? :s-smilie:

no, I don't think my head of sixth form has even checked yet
Original post by kateeeeey
I'm off to Egypt woo :smile: yeahh, I really want to do it, would be such a good experience! Haha :smile:
Tbh I wanted to take like everything (apart from Maths) so I just took a variety :smile: don't know how well that'll work out for me...
That's way too mathsy for my liking!

That's awesome :biggrin: I hear it's really fun there; How long you going for? :smile:
Yh that's so true and also we'll have loads of fun and actually have an oppurtunity to go to Cambridge for a week :biggrin:
As long as you get good grades, it'll work well for you :smile:
Not enough maths for my liking :wink2:
Original post by inyoursystem
no, I don't think my head of sixth form has even checked yet

Lol well tell him to :smile:
Do you know who exactly the email will go to? As in the complete school's email or like a specific person? :s-smilie:
I've applied for Medicine :moon: seeing ifI can get rejected from Cambridge three times in 2012 :colone:
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
Have your schools told you that they've received information about your applications? :s-smilie:

I applied today, I'll let you know when I go school.
Original post by Roshniroxy
I applied today, I'll let you know when I go school.

Yh kl :smile:
What have you applied for? :biggrin:
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding the summer schools.

Firstly, I really want to go to one, it would be a great experience for me and I'm really passionate about my subject(s). I want to study physics at university, so obviously, physics is the course I would be applying for.

I read on the STSS website that only an application to one summer-school is allowed. I really wish I could apply to the lot of them. However, I recognised that Oxford run a separate programme. Would I be allowed to apply to a STSS and Oxford UNIQ? Surely, they wouldn't be able to find out if I was to apply to both?

My second question - is there any statistics that show how many applications per-place are received by the summer school? It may be worth playing strategic and applying for the one with the best success rate?

If I had to choose a summer school to go to, it would be in this order;

1) Oxford
2) Cambridge
3) Durham
4) Nottingham

I'm not really bothered about Imperial, UCL, Bath and St Andrews as much.

Therefore, is it worth applying to Oxford (UNIQ) and Durham (STSS)? I'd assume that the Durham summer-school isn't as popular due to it being new? Therefore it may be advantageous to apply there, instead of Cambridge?

Thank you for reading, feel free to PM if needs be.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 168
Original post by Sagacious
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding the summer schools.

Firstly, I really want to go to one, it would be a great experience for me and I'm really passionate about my subject(s). I want to study physics at university, so obviously, physics is the course I would be applying for.

I read on the STSS website that only an application to one summer-school is allowed. I really wish I could apply to the lot of them. However, I recognised that Oxford run a separate programme. Would I be allowed to apply to a STSS and Oxford UNIQ? Surely, they wouldn't be able to find out if I was to apply to both?

My second question - is there any statistics that show how many applications per-place are received by the summer school? It may be worth playing strategic and applying for the one with the best success rate?

If I had to choose a summer school to go to, it would be in this order;

1) Oxford
2) Cambridge
3) Durham
4) Nottingham

I'm not really bothered about Imperial, UCL, Bath and St Andrews as much.

Therefore, is it worth applying to Oxford (UNIQ) and Durham (STSS)? I'd assume that the Durham summer-school isn't as popular due to it being new? Therefore it may be advantageous to apply there, instead of Cambridge?

Thank you for reading, feel free to PM if needs be.

Hiya! It took me a while to decide which uni to apply to and i broke it down to 2 unis cause i couldnt make the other 2 then went with the number of places against the number of subjects available. Tried to do it mathematically but i doubt it will matter :tongue:

Here's a link for 2011 statistics of UNIQ though :smile: :
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/working_with_schools_and_colleges/uniq/applicant_numbers.html
Original post by Sagacious

I went to both, you're definitely free to apply to both UNIQ and Sutton Trust Cambridge, though as you say I don't think you can apply to more than one Sutton Trust summer school.

Regarding applications, I would say apply for what your interests lie. It does depend on your GCSE grades, if you'd share those it would help as they do seem to give entry almost purely based on those (in the case of UNIQ anyway, where I happened to know the grades of a lot of the people). Generally you're looking at mostly As and A*s, the more A*s the better. Physics shouldn't be too bad number wise, certainly not as bad as medicine, in which case it definitely would be tactical to apply elsewhere. You can check last years figures in the link above though, but I'd recommend you go for physics.

P.S. UNIQ in particular is amazing.
Original post by LaydurrDude
Hiya! It took me a while to decide which uni to apply to and i broke it down to 2 unis cause i couldnt make the other 2 then went with the number of places against the number of subjects available. Tried to do it mathematically but i doubt it will matter :tongue:

Here's a link for 2011 statistics of UNIQ though :smile: :
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/working_with_schools_and_colleges/uniq/applicant_numbers.html

Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but if you've yet to apply and are considering medicine at UNIQ, I'd really recommend you apply for biomedical sciences/biochemistry. Going purely by grades, a large majority of the medics have a high A* ratio in their GCSEs, and medicine gets an obscenely large number of applicants. I was on the biomed course myself, and a few medics applied for it instead of med too, and it was great (and quite similar in content to medicine, as they share the content of the first few years anyway). The grades on the biomed course from a sample of around 10 where a few A*s and As to almost all A*s.
Reply 171
I applied for Law at Cambridge just now. Really anxious. Anyone else here applied for law ?

Ummmm, not at Cambrudge. :colondollar:

I applied for Bristol, though. :smile:
Reply 172
Economics & Maths at Nottingham anyone?
Original post by WIC
Ummmm, not at Cambrudge. :colondollar:

I applied for Bristol, though. :smile:

I really don't thing cambridge is going to accept me for this, but I took a shot. Good luck with bristol.
I did Law at Cambridge for Sutton Trust last year. I really didn't think I would get in, but I applied and I did. It was amazing, honestly, so fun and such a good experience. The lecturers were some of the best in the world, and being able to learn from them, even for one week was incredible.

I could not recommend the summer school enough. The only thing was I didn't enjoy the packed lunches, so make sure you take advantage of the full English breakfast on the morning, as they are very long days.
Reply 175
I really don't thing cambridge is going to accept me for this, but I took a shot. Good luck with bristol.

How come? Have you seen the seven fields that show the university's priorities? If so, try and see how many you fit into. :smile:

Hopefully I get in. I already do Pathways to Law; not sure if that will be a good or bad thing when they see my application. :confused:
Reply 176
Original post by AnyoneOutThere
I did Law at Cambridge for Sutton Trust last year. I really didn't think I would get in, but I applied and I did. It was amazing, honestly, so fun and such a good experience. The lecturers were some of the best in the world, and being able to learn from them, even for one week was incredible.

I could not recommend the summer school enough. The only thing was I didn't enjoy the packed lunches, so make sure you take advantage of the full English breakfast on the morning, as they are very long days.

the packed lunches were pretty rough :L especially the tuna ones...
Original post by wren94
the packed lunches were pretty rough :L especially the tuna ones...

Haha, Jenny, they were! I thought the cheese ones were the worst! I would never have gone near the tuna though. The dinners weren't great either, apart from the roast duck. And Fitz was supposed to have the nicest food!
Reply 178
Original post by AspiringGenius
I've applied for Medicine :moon: seeing ifI can get rejected from Cambridge three times in 2012 :colone:

I'm already on one rejection. :colone:
Original post by Davsters
I'm already on one rejection. :colone:

Same, I got rejected from the Shadowing scheme- apparently I was good enough but I missed out on random selection -_-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending