The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Postgraduates 2012-2013

Just thought I'd create this thread - nothing seems to really hit on it anywhere else on TSR. Hopefully this is the right category.

Anyway!

Program: MSc Palaeopathology
Dept: Archaeology
College: St. Chad's (hopefully...), or Hatfield, but Ustinov if all else fails. Decision to be made in March/April.

Anyone else attending Durham next year for postgrad?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can give you info about the Colleges if you like - I've lived in two of them as an undergrad and postgrad, and was in Durham for 7 years :biggrin: it's fab.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by pikaboo
I can give you info about the Colleges if you like - I've lived in two of them as an undergrad and postgrad, and was in Durham for 7 years :biggrin: it's fab.

Oh yes please! We don't have the collegiate system at the universities I've attended, so I don't know much about the system - if I join one, can I live at another? Where have you lived as a postgrad? :smile: Any information is welcome!
Reply 3
Applied for Msc in Sustainability, Culture and Development.

Now waiting for a decision!! Hope to get in...always wanted to study there!

x
Reply 4
Original post by pikaboo

Which one would you recommend for someone interested in proximity to the classics library and to nice accommodation?
Reply 5
Original post by *Corinna*
Which one would you recommend for someone interested in proximity to the classics library and to nice accommodation?

The accommodation in Chad's, John's, Hatfield and Cuth's seems all pretty much the same from what I've seen, and along with Castle they are closest to the classics library.
Reply 6
Thanks :smile: and in between them, which one would you recommend? Also, do colleges have their own libraries?
How much does accommodation cost approximately?
Reply 7
Thanks :smile: and in between them, which one would you recommend? Also, do colleges have their own libraries?
How much does accommodation cost approximately?

If you poke around the descriptions of the colleges, you can find information on costs and their facilities. :smile: http://www.dur.ac.uk/colleges/
Reply 8
Original post by caligulina
If you poke around the descriptions of the colleges, you can find information on costs and their facilities. :smile: http://www.dur.ac.uk/colleges/

yeah but none has sufficient pictures etc, so it's always better to know from someone who's actually been there
Reply 9
I might be. I have an offer for the part time MA in Education (Grey College) for 2012 entry but may be deferring it to start in 2013 instead.
Reply 10
Ahh. I posted a similar thread in the Durham forum before I noticed this one! I'll suggest on my thread that people should post on this one instead. Perhaps looking before leaping is something I should do in my future. :-p

Program: MSc Defence, Development, and Diplomacy
Dept: Government/Int'l Affairs
College: Ustinov or St. Chad's (most likely)
Reply 11
yeah but none has sufficient pictures etc, so it's always better to know from someone who's actually been there

Oh, that's true. I suppose I just meant for cost charts, is all.
Reply 12
Original post by CNUkid
Ahh. I posted a similar thread in the Durham forum before I noticed this one! I'll suggest on my thread that people should post on this one instead. Perhaps looking before leaping is something I should do in my future. :-p

Program: MSc Defence, Development, and Diplomacy
Dept: Government/Int'l Affairs
College: Ustinov or St. Chad's (most likely)

Oh, no worries. How exciting! I'm trying for both colleges, too. (I really, really want St. Chad's. Ustinov is my fall-back plan.)
Program: MSc Anthropology
Dept: Anthropology
College: Don't know yet! (Maybe St Chad’s or St Johns)

Also, I am an overseas student so I need to pay a deposit by March 14. But, I have yet to be assigned a login and I am unsure about how I am supposed to pay it. I have emailed them about it but I have not gotten a response yet. Has anyone else had to deal with this?
Reply 14
Original post by Hopefully2013

Also, I am an overseas student so I need to pay a deposit by March 14. But, I have yet to be assigned a login and I am unsure about how I am supposed to pay it. I have emailed them about it but I have not gotten a response yet. Has anyone else had to deal with this?

Here's a link! http://www.dur.ac.uk/international/apply/fees/deposits/

It should take you from there. I'm coming from overseas as well, so I feel your pain. :-p
Reply 15
Original post by CNUkid

It should take you from there. I'm coming from overseas as well, so I feel your pain. :-p

I am coming from overseas as well. It was very easy to pay the fee. Just got my receipt today.

You just have to fax/email Mrs. Peacock (Peacock? I think that's her name... I can't remember...) with a statement of how much you want to spend, and what it is for, and your student number, name, program. Then I added my credit card information, and hey presto. Though, you should've by now received an email with an attachment explaining how to pay. Dead easy once you've actually started the process - just daunting when you haven't. :wink:

Our departments are in the same building! Exciting!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by CNUkid

Thanks so much! I searched for it on Durham's website and it always brought me to a broken link. I'm paying my deposit on my lunch break!

You guys are all going to study such awesome things. Yay for social science people, there seems to be a lot of us. Durham_ and CNUkid, part of my MSc will entail looking at developmental anthropology. Caligulina, that is awesome that you are going for paleopath. I studied bioarchaeology for a while and went on a dig for it. Paleopathology was my favorite part of the entire experience.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17

Yay for social science people, there seems to be a lot of us. Durham_ and CNUkid, part of my MSc will entail looking at developmental anthropology.

Why, Hopefully2013, it's because we social science people are awesome. :-p

Developmental anthropology? That would be pretty interesting actually. I liked my undergrad anthropology course, but I never delved into much depth unfortunately. What do you think is the most interesting part of anthropology, out of curiousity?
CNUkid,

I love anthropology because it is field of study where I can examine how culture affects a person, group or situation. I can look into how it impacts illness, safety, equality, gender… everything pretty much and then I can apply that knowledge to try to cause positive impact. At least that is what I am shooting for in the future. It is one of those majors you can do many things with and I want to apply my research to real world problems and not just be an academic. The exact thing I am going to study at Durham is Medial Anth. I want to travel and study culture and medicine. I find the research aspect interesting but I think most interesting part of anthropology to me is in the application of that research. I’m hoping to work in a nonprofit of NGO later.

What was it that made you (and any other international postgrads) pick Durham for postgraduate study? I got a rec from a professor who said they had an amazing anthropology department. I honestly didn’t think I would get in because everyone talked it up so much!
Reply 19
Hopefully2013,

Original post by CNUkid
it's because we social science people are awesome. :-p

Yeah, pretty much. :3

What was it that made you (and any other international postgrads) pick Durham for postgraduate study? I got a rec from a professor who said they had an amazing anthropology department. I honestly didn’t think I would get in because everyone talked it up so much!

Palaeopathology is just so insanely exciting. Disease + archaeology + bones = endlessly fascinating to me. I found the program at Durham in December 2010, but by then it was too late for me to scrounge together an application to Durham (I had already applied to a Canadian institution for MA History as a way to increase my credentials in case I wanted to go abroad.) So I've been sitting on this idea for the better part of a year and a bit. I talked to a bunch of professors here, and some PhD students already there, and it seemed to me like it was the best option. I'm told it has probably the best archaeology department in the UK. I'm still a little surprised I got accepted, really. So, my decision is a blend of the right course material, the right department name/institution, the right geographical location (I don't want to "do" archaeology in North America, unless it's on a foreign-origin collection, or I can dig elsewhere) and above all it feels right. I'll likely be able to be employed/get into a PhD program more easily with a degree from the archaeology department at Durham than from almost anywhere else in the English-speaking world. It's hopefully as cozy as I think it is.

Quick Reply

Latest