The Student Room Group

AQA Physics A Unit 5 - Nuclear and thermal physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Benniboi1
I think I remember my Physics teacher saying that actually, he likes sort of 'Pure' Physics, so the one he enjoys the most is Turning Points which is the only reason he wants to teach it :tongue: I am, to study Physics actually - at Warwick, as long as I get 3A's :smile: yourself? Seeing as you do Maths and Physics I'm guessing its one of the two!

Maths at Lancaster, as long as I get AAB (so actually I only need a B in physics but it would be much nicer to get an A). I actually considered applying to Warwick to do the joint maths and physics degree. What other A2's do you do then?
Reply 21
Original post by SBarns
Maths at Lancaster, as long as I get AAB (so actually I only need a B in physics but it would be much nicer to get an A). I actually considered applying to Warwick to do the joint maths and physics degree. What other A2's do you do then?

Ahh nice one :smile: yeah I'm actually still considering asking to change to maths and physics when I get there, I couldn't decide between maths and physics when I was applying and I think doing a joint degree would suit me. Only Further Maths, Chemistry is taught badly at my sixth form (did it for AS) so I didn't really want to carry on with it this year. What about you?
Reply 22
Ahh nice one :smile: yeah I'm actually still considering asking to change to maths and physics when I get there, I couldn't decide between maths and physics when I was applying and I think doing a joint degree would suit me. Only Further Maths, Chemistry is taught badly at my sixth form (did it for AS) so I didn't really want to carry on with it this year. What about you?

I do further maths, maths and physics. Did music last year but didn't really want to do 5 at A2 level so dropped it. Which modules do you do for further maths then?
Reply 23
Original post by SBarns
I do further maths, maths and physics. Did music last year but didn't really want to do 5 at A2 level so dropped it. Which modules do you do for further maths then?

Last year for the AS I did FP1, M1 and D1, this year I've done S2 and M2 and I've just got FP2 left, that might not be the way its arranged in the end because M1 might go towards the normal Alevel and S3 that I'm doing now might go towards FM :smile: what about you? + which exam board are you on :smile:
Reply 24
Last year for the AS I did FP1, M1 and D1, this year I've done S2 and M2 and I've just got FP2 left, that might not be the way its arranged in the end because M1 might go towards the normal Alevel and S3 that I'm doing now might go towards FM :smile: what about you? + which exam board are you on :smile:

Ah okay, that's pretty much the same as mine. For the AS I did FP1, D1 and S2, and this year I'm doing FP3, D2 and M2. I'm on OCR - what about you?
Reply 25
Original post by SBarns
Ah okay, that's pretty much the same as mine. For the AS I did FP1, D1 and S2, and this year I'm doing FP3, D2 and M2. I'm on OCR - what about you?

OCR MEI, no idea why they need 2 maths exam boards :tongue:
Reply 26
OCR MEI, no idea why they need 2 maths exam boards :tongue:

Ohhh MEI is a weird board! They have weird things like Numerical Methods don't they? What's in your FP2?
Reply 27
Original post by SBarns
Ohhh MEI is a weird board! They have weird things like Numerical Methods don't they? What's in your FP2?

Yeah, and theres a whole module on Differential Equations and Decision Computing or something, I've read that unis dont like people doing them so I steered clear :tongue: Theres things like Hyperbolic Functions, Matricies (continued from FP1, so 3x3 matrices), more complex numbers, that sort of thing. At first I thought I wasn't going to manage it but I feel alright with it, the exam seems pretty straightforward. Did you not have to do FP2 then?
Reply 28
Original post by SBarns
PM me with your email address and I'll send the mark scheme to you.

Hey, I need the mark schemes for AQA Physics Unit 5 June 2010 aswell but I can't seem to PM you. Can you send them to me?

EDIT: No worries, I've just seen the other thread you've made. Many thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Yeah, and theres a whole module on Differential Equations and Decision Computing or something, I've read that unis dont like people doing them so I steered clear :tongue: Theres things like Hyperbolic Functions, Matricies (continued from FP1, so 3x3 matrices), more complex numbers, that sort of thing. At first I thought I wasn't going to manage it but I feel alright with it, the exam seems pretty straightforward. Did you not have to do FP2 then?

Oh yeah I read about the one that you have to do on the computer, seems like cheating to me really...ahhh I wish we'd have done hyperbolics, they sound good. Well we chose to do FP3, which is complex numbers, DE's, vectors/planes and groups. To be honest it's quite nice, especially the vector stuff.
Reply 30
Original post by SBarns
Oh yeah I read about the one that you have to do on the computer, seems like cheating to me really...ahhh I wish we'd have done hyperbolics, they sound good. Well we chose to do FP3, which is complex numbers, DE's, vectors/planes and groups. To be honest it's quite nice, especially the vector stuff.

We have loads of Vector stuff in our C4, I'm still trying to get the hang of it :tongue:

Yeah I like Hyperbolics, its the only Section B question and it feels like the easiest few questions on the paper for me!
As much as I appreciate Einstein's work, relativity is doing my head in :argh:

Does anyone have any good revision material on it?
Reply 32
We have loads of Vector stuff in our C4, I'm still trying to get the hang of it :tongue:

Yeah I like Hyperbolics, its the only Section B question and it feels like the easiest few questions on the paper for me!

It's alright to be honest, I love group theory to be honest, but that's just because it's really abstract and weird.

Ahh see that's in our FP2, which, apart from hyperbolics, is really boring.
Thoughts on possible 6 markers? Teacher seems to think it'll be on Hertz's discovery of radio waves as, it hasn't been asked yet :holmes:
Reply 34
Only issue I have with turning points is that for the electron section there are just so many configurations of tubes and electron deflections etc. that it's quite difficult to differentiate between them without getting too confused!
Reply 35
Also, which papers exactly in the zipped file are applicable to unit 5? Only a lot of them seem to be unit 1 etc.
Reply 36
Original post by SBarns
I have all the papers and mark schemes for all the AS/A2 units from 2000-2007 (the old spec) and 2008-2010 (the new spec). Of course, just PM me your email address and tell me which ones you want and I'll send them over.

Hi, I know you have posted this a very long time ago, but I was wondering if you still have those papers? Can you PM me if you do. Thanks in advance
I know this is a really old thread but im struggling to find them as well would you be able to email them to me as well? :smile:))))
Original post by danielmoreton12
I know this is a really old thread but im struggling to find them as well would you be able to email them to me as well? :smile:))))

hi, do you know how you can access the unit 5 optional topics on kerboodle? it keeps saying its being updated.

i am a gap year student so my teachers dont really care...can you help me? i have no material for unit 5D turning point in physics
Reply 39
Just did chem 6x Empa I need some advice on physics thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending