The Student Room Group

Urgent help - Edexcel DiDA 201 crazy moderation!

Hey,

Along with the re-take results I got on Thursday, I received the moderated mark for my DiDA 201 coursework.

At the first I was confused. The UMS was 54 and the grade listed was a "C". However as other people received a "P" grade, we assumed that P = Pass (C) and C = Credit (B).

The problem is that the marks I received before moderation were, I was told, 2 marks off 100%. A solid A* grade.

Now I know generous marking does exist. But there's generous marking and then there's two whole grades.

I'm appealing to anyone that can help, or has themselves done D201 and had a similar situation with their moderation. The head of department has already contacted the exam board but who knows.

Thanks.
Reply 1
The head of department will have the moderator's report which will say why it was marked down. The only way to change it is for the whole lot to be re-moderated which is expensive.
Reply 2
The marks before moderation are done by your teacher, no? So I wouldn't be that surprised if the grade changes that much. Teachers, that aren't examiners, can be off the mark quite a bit - especially if they're inexperienced

The moderator's report will explain why you were marked down
Reply 3
You're correct, the marks are done by our teachers before moderation. We were told that the school had some sort of status with the exam board that meant they trusted the marking of our teachers. There are 3 classes taking the qualification and all teachers have taught it at least once before.

I did some comparing of the grade boundaries both raw marks and UMS. Someone I know was marked 35/42 before moderation but, and I'm only estimating here because we only have half of each data (raw un-moderated and UMS moderated) got moderated marks of 19/42.

When I quizzed the head of department he didn't mention the examiner's report. All he said was "they think we have marked a bit generously" "but I'm going to challenge that".

Is there any way I can request to see the moderator's report?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I don't do the DiDA myself, but all the IT classes at my school have had the exact same problem! Highest before moderation was a distinction, now highest is a credit. I don't know anything about remarks, but at least you're not alone!
Reply 5
Original post by AboveTheLine
You're correct, the marks are done by our teachers before moderation. We were told that the school had some sort of status with the exam board that meant they trusted the marking of our teachers. There are 3 classes taking the qualification and all teachers have taught it at least once before.

I did some comparing of the grade boundaries both raw marks and UMS. Someone I know was marked 35/42 before moderation but, and I'm only estimating here because we only have half of each data (raw un-moderated and UMS moderated) got moderated marks of 19/42.

When I quizzed the head of department he didn't mention the examiner's report. All he said was "they think we have marked a bit generously" "but I'm going to challenge that".

Is there any way I can request to see the moderator's report?

I would suspect that your teachers were just too lenient, imho :dontknow:

Your teacher/head of department should be able to give you a copy of the moderator's report if you ask them

Hope the appeal goes well for you, though. Good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks for the good words man. Without sounding too bigoted however, I so honestly think I deserved an A at the least. I've compared my project with one that last year's Year 11 did and I think it's even better than it, but it got an A*?

I hate sounding big headed, but I do not think a B is fair at all.
Reply 7
Original post by AboveTheLine
Thanks for the good words man. Without sounding too bigoted however, I so honestly think I deserved an A at the least. I've compared my project with one that last year's Year 11 did and I think it's even better than it, but it got an A*?

I hate sounding big headed, but I do not think a B is fair at all.

I completely agree with u. my dida mark was a mark off perfect at the start and for some reason it went down to a B. complete sh**! i deserved at very least a high A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending