The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM1: 15th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redmike_f
Totally overthought 5 (c) part i :/ where it said work out the conc of HCL, i worked out the moles of hcl using the moles of the reactant like everyone else but for the volume of the HCL i read the question and it said something along the lines of "the reaction produces 500cm3 of solution" i took that to mean the other aqueous product as well :frown:

becuase there was one molecule of that other product and three of the HCL i divided the 500 by 4 and multiplied by three to give what i thought the volume of the HCL would be, but ive spoke to a few people and noone else has done that :frown:

dont suppose anyone else done this? :P

Yeah i did something similar, on the right hand side the ratio of moles was 1 : 3 (HCL). Therefore volume of HCL was 375cm3.
Work out moles on the left, multiply by 3 to get moles of HCL. c=n/v convert the 375cm3 to dm3 by dividing by 1000. answer i got was 2.95g..
Original post by DisturbingKand0R
isn't it giant metallic

NO! what on earth is giant about it? got to the aqa textbook ?
Original post by williamgao19
5a) Work out total moles of gas on right hand side using pV=nRT. It was (5000cm3) so convert to m3.
Then divide by 5 the get one mole of B2O3.
Mr (69.6) x Mole = 2.81g i believe?

Nope 14.1g.
Reply 783
Original post by TaraBelle
you were up till 4? :O

i stayed up till 6 revising
Reply 784
Original post by noobslayer
me too 2.21 as was to 3sf

yh i got that too ...

unofficial markscheme anyone ? :colondollar:
Reply 785
You just use the number of moles of the reactant u worked out, times it by 3 to give moles of HCL, then divide by (500/1000)

damm thought i was being clever and i completly overthought it :P to be fair though they could of made it more clear that it was the volume of the HCL and not both, ah well at least i got the pv=nrt one right :biggrin:
Reply 786
Original post by Bubbles94
H2BO3 + NaOH -> NaHBO3 + H20

doesnt that make sodium hydrogen borate? :s
i think we're right

i think people forgot to divide 500cm-3 by 1,000,000 to get M-3
Yeah i did something similar, on the right hand side the ratio of moles was 1 : 3 (HCL). Therefore volume of HCL was 375cm3.
Work out moles on the left, multiply by 3 to get moles of HCL. c=n/v convert the 375cm3 to dm3 by dividing by 1000. answer i got was 2.95g..

where on earth did you get 375cm3? just because it states that there is a mole ratio, doesn't mean you can work out the volume of hcl, you can't just divide by the number of moles and multiply by moles of hcl to get its volume... they have different masses
redmike what was your final answer for the pv=nrt one
how many people actually divided by 5 in that pv=nrt question? :L
Reply 791

That was my answer! glad i wasnt the only one!! :biggrin: looks like we might have got it wrong though :/
Original post by Bubbles94
how many people actually divided by 5 in that pv=nrt question? :L

me
Reply 793
Original post by iTwIsTeDmInDx
Nope 14.1g.

I got somthing like 14!!!
Yess why the fk people are people getting '2.' somthing
Original post by DisturbingKand0R
i think we're right

i think people forgot to divide 500cm-3 by 1,000,000 to get M-3

i divided by that and so did the other people on here that got around 2?
also, it was 5000cm-3 not 500
Original post by redmike_f
That was my answer! glad i wasnt the only one!! :biggrin: looks like we might have got it wrong though :/

well thats deffinitely wrong considering the question was about the concentration..... :L
Reply 796
Why are the boiling points of X AND Y similar?
Did you need to divide by 5?

It took enough ****ing working out to smash 14.1 g which i left it at

I think thats the answer
NO! what on earth is giant about it? got to the aqa textbook ?

you may be right, but i think they may accept both as metals have giant structures, that is in the textbook and in google
Original post by king101
I got somthing like 14!!!
Yess why the fk people are people getting '2.' somthing

you musn't have divided the number of moles by 5, thats what i did at first then re read the question and the moles you got from the pv=nrt equation was for all the gases produced, which was 5 moles of them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending