The Student Room Group

If you don't revise you'll end up..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
In GCSE exams, not on TSR forums -- bad SPaG hardly ever makes the post unreadable; but some people aren't prepared to accept that people don't want to have constantly to check SPaG like they're writing an exam or a university dissertation piece.

Corrected. See, is that so hard?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Miracle Day
"It's a sacrifice.. I am willing to make" ~ Lord Farkward

Fawkwaaaaaaaaaaard

Academically elitist joke meets spelling error.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Corrected. See, is that so hard?

semi-colons before but and how does "some people aren't prepared to accept that people don't want to have to constantly to check SPaG like they're writing an exam or a university dissertation piece."

I have corrected your corrections with the added bold text.
Reply 163
losing about 40 years of your life because the life expectancy of homeless people is about 30-40 years.If you want to live a shorter life,then carry on not revising and that means for GCSE too.

Not revising =/= homeless.
Revision is not a factor contributing to life expectancy.

being thrown out by your parents because you won't have enough money to support them.

We have a welfare system.

having no idea of what careers you are capable of doing and be bewildered as to what direction you want to take in life/knowing which direction would be best for you.

Just because you revise doesn't mean you know exactly what direction you want to take in life. There are many people at top universities approaching their final years who are not sure what they want to do with their life.
semi-colons before but and how does "some people aren't prepared to accept that people don't want to have to constantly to check SPaG like they're writing an exam or a university dissertation piece."

I have corrected your corrections with the added bold text.

The semi-colon is the most appropriate piece of punctuation there -- a comma would have given bad flow in that position.

Re: your query: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_infinitive

All of this could have been avoided had you properly spagged/ not opposed SPaG! See what your signature hath wrought.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
The semi-colon is the most appropriate piece of punctuation there -- a comma would have given bad flow in that position.

Re: your query: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_infinitive

All of this could have been avoided had you properly spagged/ not opposed SPaG! See what your signature hath wrought.

I thought adding but means that you don't need punctuation I have never added punctuation before or after the word but because it is a connective and acts in a similar way to punctuation like in the same way as a semi-colon replaces and:confused:I am not that good at SPaG,got 4/8 in my exam but after redrafting my latest writing controlled assessment and writing it up from memory in the controlled assessment i got 8/8 for SPaG,giving me a to be moderated grade of A* for English Language.
If you don't revise you'll end up seriously depressed. Obviously you care about education, as you're looking at this thread. So get revising! (including myself aswell- :frown:) Depression-and-alchocol.jpg
Original post by Besakt
Not revising =/= homeless.
Revision is not a factor contributing to life expectancy.

We have a welfare system.

Just because you revise doesn't mean you know exactly what direction you want to take in life. There are many people at top universities approaching their final years who are not sure what they want to do with their life.

You'd be surprised because revision prevents exam failure and stress from both thinking you are going to fail your exam and failing them.It has been proven that stress affects life expectancy and being homeless does as well,which could happen if you didn't revise but isn't very likely but the whole point of tyhe thread is to motivate people into revising not to criticise clkaims of what could happen if you don't revise.
I cant believe the number of people mocking london met, I know someone who graduated from there with a degree in Accounting and Finance, and now works for one of the biggest accounting firms in the US. Meh thats probably a one-off

funny thread though lolll
Reply 169
You'd be surprised because revision prevents exam failure and stress from both thinking you are going to fail your exam and failing them.It has been proven that stress affects life expectancy and being homeless does as well,which could happen if you didn't revise but isn't very likely but the whole point of tyhe thread is to motivate people into revising not to criticise clkaims of what could happen if you don't revise.

Revision does not necessarily prevent exam failure. Stress is caused by a variety of factors, even if you do well in your exams does that mean you will never encounter stress?
This is why these sorts of threads are stupid. There is nothing wrong with motivating people, but motivating people by undermining others is not nice. If you want to motivate others show them something to strive towards not by insulting others.
I thought adding but means that you don't need punctuation. I have never added punctuation before or after the word but because it is a connective and acts in a similar way to punctuation like in the same way as a semi-colon replaces and:confused:I am not that good at SPaG,got 4/8 in my exam but after redrafting my latest writing controlled assessment and writing it up from memory in the controlled assessment i got 8/8 for SPaG,giving me a to be moderated grade of A* for English Language.

Where did you get the idea that "but" makes punctuation unnecessary in all contexts? It can at times, yes, but leaving out punctuation wherever there's a "but" can leave sentences with bad flow, the bad flow arising from a lack of a pause between great chains of words; and the semi-colon doesn't always have to replace "and", but can in some contexts go with it, as I hope I'm demonstrating.

Congrats on your GCSE. Tbh the whole grammar argument idea seemed a lot more funny when I started it than it's turned out to be.
Original post by Besakt
Revision does not necessarily prevent exam failure. Stress is caused by a variety of factors, even if you do well in your exams does that mean you will never encounter stress?
This is why these sorts of threads are stupid. There is nothing wrong with motivating people, but motivating people by undermining others is not nice. If you want to motivate others show them something to strive towards not by insulting others.

undermining others motivates them-trust me:biggrin:If you get a D and someone says thats terrible then you will try hard to impress them-to be honest I always boast my grades and sort of wind people up who did badly.
[INDENT]
undermining others motivates them-trust me:biggrin:If you get a D and someone says thats terrible then you will try hard to impress them-to be honest I always boast my grades and sort of wind people up who did badly.

lmao you keep cropping up, do you like red gems? Going by your sig, you haven't actually achieved much academically yet apart from your key stage SATs, no GCSE's, no A levels, and no university place, who are you to wind people up who "did badly?"
not cool bro.. nothing wrong with working in ASDA to earn a living.
Original post by swaggiee
I cant believe the number of people mocking london met, I know someone who graduated from there with a degree in Accounting and Finance, and now works for one of the biggest accounting firms in the US. Meh thats probably a one-off

funny thread though lolll

Are you a Belieber?

That's probably why you have so much neg rep. And why you're a member of the school council and the 'youth parliament or any other reject groups your school offers.

People like you get on my nerves.
Original post by Miracle Day
Are you a Belieber?

Indeed. He is my Boyfriend

Lol
Original post by swaggiee
Indeed. He is my Boyfriend

Lol

High five.

Only a Belieber could use the word 'Swaggie'' :biggrin:
Original post by hockeyjoe
[INDENT]

lmao you keep cropping up, do you like red gems? Going by your sig, you haven't actually achieved much academically yet apart from your key stage SATs, no GCSE's, no A levels, and no university place, who are you to wind people up who "did badly?"

I have 1 completed GCSE(Grade A German) and a to be moderated (Grade A* English Language) and quite a few completed modules of other GCSEs.

Too bad you look like a slapped backside.

Quick Reply

Latest