The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gales
Almost as bad as making the choice to become a devout muslim :rolleyes:

Nope
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
bestiality is also a choice..

You seem to be missing the fact that sexual orientation is not a choice. :confused: or do you not understand that? There being a 'gay gene' has nothing to do with it being a choice.

Bestiality is a paraphilia completely separate from sexual orientation.

You also failed to address my question.
Original post by Jester94
Do you have any evidence whatsoever to back that up? And why, might I ask, is it disgusting?

I can assure you, I did not choose to be gay, it is just the way I am. Being gay is a sexual orientation, just as being straight is - did you choose to be straight then? Did you consider that you might be gay? No, you knew you were straight because it was not a choice, just as being gay is not a choice. If it were, why are there gay people in countries that are incredibly intolerant towards gay people, such as some countries in Africa and Asia; surely, if we could choose, they would choose to be straight so they wouldn't have to deal with all the crap they will undoubtedly get from being gay.

Please do not try and compare homosexuality to bestiality, that is ridiculous and you will only embarrass yourself.

You are gay? :s-smilie:

Why is it ridiculous to compare the two?
Reply 183
I agree that peadophilia and incest should be dealt differently than they are now. I think you're saying that homosexuality should not be given the freedoms it currently has whereas I believe that views on incest & paedophilia should be brought up to date with the relatively new acceptance of homosexuality.

Of course, padophilia cannot be freely legal as a child cannot give consent. But perhaps treating it as a disorder rather than a crime would be more suitable.

Also with incest, you also must have consent.

Rape and child molestation should have the same legal status.

You're basically saying we should take a step back, when I beleive we should take further steps forwards.
Original post by tufc
All implications considered, yes, I suppose I am.

But what basis do you have to say this?
Original post by konvictz0007

Many people have tackled my negative gene issue about human continuity by stating homosexuals will promote a negative population growth and will help issues of over crowding. I cannot express in words how offended I am by that statement. So because we want to control the population does that mean we should abandon research and development in preventing cancer and other forms of life threatening illnesses? By that logic we can say we should have more illegal wars as it will bring down the mortality levels and help control population?

Any counter arguments to this point?
Nope

Wow. the amount of logic used for this argument was astounding :colonhash:
Reply 187
Nope

Loony.

Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Wow. the amount of logic used for this argument was astounding :colonhash:

Nicked what I wanted to say, so I had to turn to petty insults. :frown:
Original post by blueray
Any counter arguments to this point?

It's a blatantly false point so it's not really relevant. Homosexuals can and do reproduce therefore you can't necessitate that the population will go down. But even asserting that it is does not imply the rest of his argument, considering it was merely a point to show that homosexuality could be an entirely natural orientation.
Reply 189
What did everyone get for easter?
Original post by Gales

Nicked what I wanted to say, so I had to turn to petty insults. :frown:

I apologize for stealing your thunder :s-smilie:
Reply 191
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
I apologize for stealing your thunder :s-smilie:

It's okay, I was kidding anyway. I'm not really bothered about debating with whomever xxxxkillxxx (or w/e the user's unpleasant name is). I just have the urge to comment when I know someone is purely using their religious beliefs to justify something.
Reply 192
Homophobia, more often than not it's caused by ones own supressed feelings about the topics. Some of the most homopobic people i've met have later come out... read into this what you will
Reply 193
bestiality is also a choice..

You are gay? :s-smilie:

Why is it ridiculous to compare the two?

Homosexuality is not a choice, one does not choose their sexual orientation. You didn't make a choice to be straight, you just are, just like some people are gay - nobody chooses their sexual orientation, that is just something that is part of them.

It is ridiculous to compare the two because, as you have been told many, many times, homosexuality is a sexual orientation whereas bestiality is a paraphilia. They are two completely different things, thus cannot be compared.

Yes, I am gay, would have thought that was pretty clear from my post. Why the smiley?
I am not comparing homosexuality and paedophilia, of course they are very different. I am comparing society's reasoning to accept one and not the other.

If you can accept one on the basis that it is not of choice, then why is the other being punished on that same basis as it is not their choice?

Someone who is gay can't help this more than I can help being left handed :-/ it's in my genes. At the end of the day can't believe this thread was even started how does being gay make any difference to that person. How would you feel if one of your own children told you they were gay? Would you not love them any more?
While I do doubt the claim that sexuality is something you are merely born with. I believe a wide range of environmental genetic and hormonal factors are at play.

I do however believe that homosexuality is not a choice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 196
Original post by limetang
While I do doubt the claim that sexuality is something you are merely born with. I believe a wide range of environmental genetic and hormonal factors are at play.

I do however believe that homosexuality is not a choice.

http://www.pnas.org/content/89/15/7199.long

"Morphological differences have been identified in homosexual men in nuclei
of the brain that are in regions that influence reproductive
physiology and behavior: the volume of the suprachiasmatic
nucleus may be larger than in heterosexual men and women
(17); and the interstitial nucleus of the anterior hypothalamus
3, which we found to be larger in men than in women (11), is
smaller in homosexual men than heterosexual men (1)"
(edited 12 years ago)

Some argue homosexuality is not a choice, one does not choose their sexual orientation. I disagree with that statement because this can also apply to other situations. A lot of people including some scientific researchers also say paedophilia is not chosen by an individual. My issue with this is if society is to accept homosexuals on the basis that they have no choice, then why punish and criminalise paedophiles as they also have no choice?

Most people don't believe in persecuting paedophiles for merely being paedophiles. If they act on their desires then yes, of course they should be punished, but are you telling me that you don't understand the difference between a child not being able to consent to sex with a paedophile and consensual sex between two adults of the same gender?

Humans are limited in their choice, we 'cant' decide what we want. We are designed in a way, this information is stored in our DNA. Society can also have a strong say. Two siblings, a brother and a sister, cannot have a sexual relationship because it goes against etiquette of society and science. He cannot just say 'oh I love my sister, its not affecting you so whats your problem if i go out with her'. I therefore believe choice alone is not justification for homosexuality.

Actually we are neurologically programmed not to commit incest. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westermarck_effect

That's not to say that I believe that consenting adults in incestuous relationships should be persecuted, but there's your answer as to why it's so uncommon...

Furthermore if we are to accept the argument 'gays are born gay' we must investigate that claim and examine what it means for humanity. Under the assumption that the argument that they are born gay holds, then it is something which is affecting their ability to reproduce (as they are not attracted to the opposite sex). Then, it is in my belief that by definition of continuity of the human race we must find a way to prevent it as it is, technically speaking, a negative genetic mutation and must be addressed by doctors and medical researchers to preserve continuity.

Characteristics, even those present at birth, don't have to be genetic :facepalm:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 198
Original post by Steezy
I agree that peadophilia and incest should be dealt differently than they are now. I think you're saying that homosexuality should not be given the freedoms it currently has whereas I believe that views on incest & paedophilia should be brought up to date with the relatively new acceptance of homosexuality.

Of course, padophilia cannot be freely legal as a child cannot give consent. But perhaps treating it as a disorder rather than a crime would be more suitable.

Also with incest, you also must have consent.

Rape and child molestation should have the same legal status.

You're basically saying we should take a step back, when I beleive we should take further steps forwards.

No I am not suggesting either, I am outlining the differences, maybe even contradictory elements of how society and the law sees each cases. There must exist consistency if we are are to move forward in a methodical, systematic and correct approach.
Reply 199
Original post by adamski92
http://www.pnas.org/content/89/15/7199.long

"Morphological differences have been identified in homosexual men in nuclei
of the brain that are in regions that influence reproductive
physiology and behavior: the volume of the suprachiasmatic
nucleus may be larger than in heterosexual men and women
(17); and the interstitial nucleus of the anterior hypothalamus
3, which we found to be larger in men than in women (11), is
smaller in homosexual men than heterosexual men (1)"

Seems like an interesting article, can you elaborate on it's findings? What is it exactly trying to say about the relationship between the physical size of a person's brain and their sexual orientation?

Latest

Trending

Trending