The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr M
Mr M’s Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A Higher Linear Paper 1 Answers June 2011

1. Questionnaire

a) Suitable table (2 marks)

b) Sample too small OR not representative (1 mark)

2. Paving slabs

a) Yes (he needs 30 slabs) (3 marks)

b) £276.16 (3 marks)

3. Parcels

a) £10 (1 mark)

b) Ed is cheaper than Bill for distances under 20 miles and more expensive for distances over 20 miles. The cost is the same for a distance of 20 miles. (3 marks)

4. Stem and leaf diagram

2 | 9
3 | 1 3 5 6 9
4 | 2 3 3 4 6 8 9
5 | 2 4 5

Key: 2 | 9 = 29 mph (3 marks)

5. Medicine

8 (2 marks)

6. Shortcakes

a) 30 (2 marks)

b) 60 (2 marks)

7. Buses

11.00 a.m. (3 marks)

8. Algebra

a) 6y156y-15 (1 mark)

b) 4x(2x+y)4x(2x+y) (2 marks)

c) h=10tgh=\frac{10t}{g} (2 marks)

9. Rotation

Rotation 180 degrees about (3, 3) (3 marks)

10. Train tickets

Railtickets (65p cheaper) (4 marks)

11. Parallelogram

39 (3 marks)

12. Orange juice

4 (3 marks)

13. Hexagon and octagon

105 degrees (4 marks)

14. Lighthouse and harbour

a) 35 km (1 mark)

b) 110 degrees (1 mark)

c) Position marked 4 cm away on correct bearing (2 marks)

15. Cumulative frequency

a) 170 g (1 mark)

b) Correct box plot (3 marks)

c) Median of group A is higher than that of group B and interquartile range of A is bigger than B or other correct comparisons (2 marks)

16. More algebra

a) m10m^{-10} (1 mark)

b) (x+5)(x2)(x+5)(x-2) (2 marks)

17. Standard form

a) 1 (1 mark)

b) 0.000067 (1 mark)

c) 2.7×10142.7 \times 10^{14} (2 marks)

18. Area of enlarged shape

1.5 (3 marks)

19. Probability tree diagram

a) Missing numbers: 0.6, 0.7, 0.3, 0.7 (2 marks)

b) 0.12 (2 marks)

20. Simultaneous equations

x = 3 and y = -2 (4 marks)

21. Circle theorems

Radius and tangent are perpendicular so angles OBA and ODA are 90 degrees

Angles in a quadrilateral sum to 360 degrees so angles DOB = 130 degrees

Angle BCD = 65 degrees as angle at circumference is half the angle at the centre of the circle (4 marks)

22. Histogram

a) Correct bars (frequency densities 3, 5, 3.6, 1.2) (3 marks)

b) 18 (2 marks)

23. Algebraic fractions

a) x+42x3\frac{x+4}{2x-3} (3 marks)

b) 7x2x24\frac{7x-2}{x^2-4} (3 marks)

24. Recurring decimal

31110\frac{31}{110} (3 marks)

25. Cylinder and sphere

r = 3x (3 marks)

26. Graph transformations

a) Translation 3 units in the positive x direction (2 marks)

b) Stretch scale factor 2 in the y direction (2 marks)

Could Q8b) be 2x(4x+2y) and Q16a) because its now m^-10 shouldnt then be 1/m^10 because anything to the power of a minus goes into a fraction like 1/m^10 and the probability tree diagram then second part where you had to put you the probability of wendy winning those two games, i converted the decimals into fractions and found the probability that way i know its the right answer but would i still get the mark if my answer was in a form of a fraction? :smile:
I found the test ok i was happy there was no surd or vectors on the test and no hard last question the transforming graphs is such easy marks for a last question, i reckon i got between mid A-A*
Original post by Freddy-Francis
I am expecting a 70 or above. What did u think about the 1st question. I did a questionnaire. what did u guys do?

I got 80 for the paper :cry2::cry::cry: i'm gonna go jump off a cliff man...

And i did a tally chart for the first question. I think that's a suitable whatever you call it..?
Reply 1363
Original post by lebron_23

And i did a tally chart for the first question. I think that's a suitable whatever you call it..?

That's an A* stop crying :tongue:
next paper is usually easier also..
Reply 1364
Original post by MathsMind
Thanks Mate, bit of a schock to me too. 85% is the usual, but this! Wow!

Hi Maths Mind

Pls post the Unit 3 papers which u said will be in the exams particularly the vectors portion - I can't find them - thanks
Original post by Mr M

Thanks Mr M, you're wonderful. Seeing as you seem to be very knowledgeable, i was wondering if you could come up with an estimation of what the grade boundaries will be for an A*? Obviously an educated guess or something...

And i got about 80 +/- 2 in the paper, so, according to your estimation, what would i need to roughly get in the calculator paper to ENSURE i get an A*?

Thanks again :biggrin:
Original post by ColdKant

Don't lie...? :eek: OMG, but still though, imma still jump off a cliff because of the stupid mistakes i made. Like, c'mon man i forgot to put a key in the stem and leaf ffs :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Wait, how do you know that's an A* you banana, no one knows what the grade boundaries are yet :facepalm2:
Reply 1368
Don't lie...? :eek: OMG, but still though, imma still jump off a cliff because of the stupid mistakes i made. Like, c'mon man i forgot to put a key in the stem and leaf ffs :angry::angry::angry::angry:

LOL! plus you probably got higher because of your working outs and all.. most examiners are lenient :tongue: especially with maths!
It's possible to score 90+ though in calculator, so aim for that :wink:
on the calc i hope there's actual maths rather than trickery
Reply 1369
Wait, how do you know that's an A* you banana, no one knows what the grade boundaries are yet :facepalm2:

Ms chugtai said it would probably be similar to the most recent one and maybe lower because it's a new spec, highly doubt it would be above 80 for a paper full of tricks :s-smilie:
does anyone know any questions or answers for the OCR Mathematics Linear exam which was yesterday?
Please PM me because I want to know how everyone generally found it.

Yeah i did a tally chart too. And what you sad about? 80'r amazing - i'll be lucky if i got 50 lol.

Insha Allah next one will be better
Ms chugtai said it would probably be similar to the most recent one and maybe lower because it's a new spec, highly doubt it would be above 80 for a paper full of tricks :s-smilie:

Fair enough. Dude, if i get an A* in maths i swear to god imma kiss you. Idk why, but imma kiss you :colondollar: and i added up wrong LOL i got 81, so if anything i can RIP knowing i got an A i guess.. But i don't want an A.

Yo, you still on jumping off the N block if we get an A in maths. And we'll do the same if we don't get 5 A*'s minimum?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by bookworm786
Yeah i did a tally chart too. And what you sad about? 80'r amazing - i'll be lucky if i got 50 lol.

Insha Allah next one will be better

Insha Allah bro, that's all i've been saying for the last 2 months... :colondollar: I just really hope i get an A*, coz if not, the 8+ hours a day maths revision would have been for absolutely nothing :s-smilie:
Insha Allah bro, that's all i've been saying for the last 2 months... :colondollar: I just really hope i get an A*, coz if not, the 8+ hours a day maths revision would have been for absolutely nothing :s-smilie:

Insha'Allah you will get it.
I will make du'a for all Muslims and Non-Muslims alike in every one of my prayers from now until the maths exam on Wednesday. May Allah (and if you're not Muslim, whosoever you believe in) shine his mercy upon all of us and make this exam easy for us. Ameen.

Peace out dudes, i now go to revise for my surgery paper :smile: so :goodluck: to everyone in your revision :biggrin:

Having said i'm going to revise, expect to still see me posting, as history is as boring as **** :tongue:
Reply 1376
Fair enough. Dude, if i get an A* in maths i swear to god imma kiss you. Idk why, but imma kiss you :colondollar: and i added up wrong LOL i got 81, so if anything i can RIP knowing i got an A i guess.. But i don't want an A.

Yo, you still on jumping off the N block if we get an A in maths. And we'll do the same if we don't get 5 A*'s minimum?

Since it's the first question you could really do anything 'suitable' so it could be boxes with ticks or tally charts or whatever :tongue: and LOL off the n block :wink:
Original post by InvertedLayman
Insha'Allah you will get it.

Likewise brother, may Allah bless us all with good grades. All in agreement say AMEEN.. :biggrin:

Which questions did you think were 'tricks' ?

The juice carton was unusual but not hard and the enlarged (shrunk) triangle was a new take on a straightforward problem but otherwise it seemed like a pretty standard set of questions to me. Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
They WILL be easier than the practice papers. I was speaking to someone who went to the exam board meeting and they said that the practice papers were slightly harder than what the exam was going to be. So i would get too down about it. Although i hope the papers are hard (they're still do-able) so the grade boundaries will be low and then an A* is more or less guaranteed :smile:

Omg, reflecting upon this and thinking: WTF WAS I THINKING ?!?!?

That's how you know everyone that works for edexcel are kuffar mother******s :angry:

Latest

Trending

Trending