The Student Room Group

IGCSE maths E

I got an E in my IGCSE Maths and right now I’m doing A-levels and it’s past retaking time…can I retake it after A levels or it’s over for me and I can’t get in any university? Please I need serious advice?
Original post by Noshynats
I got an E in my IGCSE Maths and right now I’m doing A-levels and it’s past retaking time…can I retake it after A levels or it’s over for me and I can’t get in any university? Please I need serious advice?

Are you saying that you're took late to opt to retake it in May/June 2024? If so, then that's your school's internal policy. The exam board's deadline for entries is normally February, if I remember correctly.

Have you considered taking it as a private candidate (i.e. studying independently and just taking the exams themselves at a local school)?

What subject were you hoping to study at university? Have you actually checked that your target universities need a particular grade in GCSE Maths? Or are you just guessing they'll want better than an E?

You can retake GCSE Maths whenever you like - even into adulthood.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Are you saying that you're took late to opt to retake it in May/June 2024? If so, then that's your school's internal policy. The exam board's deadline for entries is normally February, if I remember correctly.

Have you considered taking it as a private candidate (i.e. studying independently and just taking the exams themselves at a local school)?

What subject were you hoping to study at university? Have you actually checked that your target universities need a particular grade in GCSE Maths? Or are you just guessing they'll want better than an E?

You can retake GCSE Maths whenever you like - even into adulthood.

I want to study Biomedical and in most universities in UK they require C or above in maths. My school told me that it won’t matter and that I can still apply but when I checked it literally says “A grade of C or above in mathematics” so can I take it in June with my A levels or Feb/march?
I want to study Biomedical and in most universities in UK they require C or above in maths. My school told me that it won’t matter and that I can still apply but when I checked it literally says “A grade of C or above in mathematics” so can I take it in June with my A levels or Feb/march?

Your school were wrong, and you were absolutely right to check!

I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to resit it in June 2024, alongside your A levels. Talk to your school about your options. (If they can't help, you might have to retake it independently - still in June 2024).

Which exam board are you and your school using for IGCSE Maths?

So if they require a C or above in GCSE Maths then that is normally a "hard" requirement and if you don't meet it, you won't be accepted. However unis are normally happy to make conditional offers students who are retaking but don't yet have a result - you just need to list the qualification again as a pending grade.

You should definitely look at retaking it, I would recommend doing it sooner rather than later - see if your school is able to register you for the earlier exam session rather than the later one (it might be too late for that one now though). Of course you will then need to prepare for it alongside your A-levels.

If you aren't able to do that this academic year (or retake it and don't get a C or above) you can look at retaking it during a gap year and reapplying in the gap year. Retaking in a gap year is not uncommon for students applying to UK unis.
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
Your school were wrong, and you were absolutely right to check!

I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to resit it in June 2024, alongside your A levels. Talk to your school about your options. (If they can't help, you might have to retake it independently - still in June 2024).

Which exam board are you and your school using for IGCSE Maths?

Can I take a foundation year before starting uni? I’ve heard that this is also an option.

And it’s CIE
Can I take a foundation year before starting uni? I’ve heard that this is also an option.

And it’s CIE

As you've done for the standard degree course, you'll need to check the entry requirements for each university in which you're interested which offers Biomedical Sciences with a Foundation Year. The first one I just checked (Salford) says, "English language and mathematics at grade C or 4 or above. Equivalents are accepted." :frown: Other universities may have different requirements.

The key dates for CIE are here, which you will note say that the final deadline for registration for their IGCSE exams in June 2024 is 21 February. If you can arrange this through your existing school, then that will be much easier than having to do it independently.

Hello @Noshynats

All of our courses do require a Level 3 qualification in Mathematics and English, we would require the qualification to be being studied or completed by the time you are applying to our institution.

The majority of our courses (with some exceptions) will allow GCSE/IGCSE or equivalents. If you would like to study a functional skills level 2 qualification that will be accepted at out institution. For more information on which specific courses allow this, search up our course page on our website and double check the standard entry requirements by scrolling down.

It is also worth noting that our foundation year courses would still require a Level 2 Maths and English qualification in order to obtain a place on those courses with a foundation year.

If you have any questions or need further advice do not hesitate to get back in touch or even call/ email our course enquiries team.

Hope this helped
Matt - University of Salford Representative

Quick Reply

Latest