The Student Room Group

If you are against the Queen, you are against the UK

Scroll to see replies

I'm a fan of the queen, but the recent celebrations have put me off being militant about it, they're just so naff.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 81
Original post by Mendeleev's Table
She 'lives off' money provided by the private Duchy of Lancaster and taxation revenue used to civer the costs of a head of state. Where is the problem?

Well you've completely missed my original point and tried to take it off on a tangent. Go back and read. I can't really be bothered to explain again.
Original post by Steezy
Well you've completely missed my original point and tried to take it off on a tangent. Go back and read. I can't really be bothered to explain again.

So, I assume you are against most heads of states, considering they do most of the same core jobs?
Reply 83
So, I assume you are against most heads of states, considering they do most of the same core jobs?

I didn't say I was against anybody. I said the Queen doesn't envoke feelings of pride, reverence or respect for me.

It seems you either have a problem with reading or you want to steer me in the direction of your argument.
She 'lives off' money provided by the private Duchy of Lancaster and taxation revenue used to civer the costs of a head of state. Where is the problem?

The Duchy of Lancaster is not 'private'. The position of Duke or Duchess of Lancaster, which is merged with the position of monarch, is an office of state. It's state property.
Original post by Steezy
I didn't say I was against anybody. I said the Queen doesn't envoke feelings of pride, reverence or respect for me.

It seems you either have a problem with reading or you want to steer me in the direction of your argument.

Do heads of states not envoke respect from you, seeing as you wish to be pedantic?

Original post by anarchism101
The Duchy of Lancaster is not 'private'. The position of Duke or Duchess of Lancaster, which is merged with the position of monarch, is an office of state. It's state property.

There were supposed to be inverted commas around private, but I typed it up on my phone and it's extremely awkward to do so.
Reply 86
Do heads of states not envoke respect from you, seeing as you wish to be pedantic?

There were supposed to be inverted commas around private, but I typed it up on my phone and it's extremely awkward to do so.

No they don't, seeing as you can't ****ing read.
Original post by Steezy
No they don't, seeing as you can't ****ing read.

Pick up the toys and put them back in the pram, there's no need to swear on the internet. It doesn't make you look cool :rolleyes:

Can't read? You said you have no respect for the Queen because of what she does, then I asked if you have the same feelings towards all heads of state (because there was nothing in your post for me to read that explicitly said you did or didn't)
Reply 88
I agree

Reply 89
The monarch is symbol for the UK and I agree binds people above the politics, but people have the right to an opinion

Original post by Dobermory
The Queen is a symbol of inspiration, a figure above the politics, who can unite the nation. The Queen is in a way the national mother. She is also a safeguard against corrupt Prime Ministers. In my view, actively opposing The Queen is arguably a form of treason, and should be treated as such. Long live The Queen!

Yes lets have more conformity and less of that free thinking and democracy type thing. It's all a bit too new age anyway. :rolleyes:
Original post by PointyElbow
I agree with OP. She's 86 yet she continues to travel and act as the best ambassador we have. If that doesn't earn your respect, I don't know what will.

So because of that we should respect her or get out the country? Yeah that sounds logical...
Original post by thunder_chunky
So because of that we should respect her or get out the country? Yeah that sounds logical...

Wow if you'd actually read what I've written, you'd know that I never said to get out of the country? Your argument is baseless.
Wow if you'd actually read what I've written, you'd know that I never said to get out of the country? Your argument is baseless.

You did say however that you agreed with the OP, who said those who don't like the Queen should be deported.

What Alofleicester said. You are agreeing with what hte OP said hence why I said what I said. I disagree with the OP and I disagree with you, after all it's a daft line of reasoning.
The Queen is a symbol of inspiration, a figure above the politics, who can unite the nation. The Queen is in a way the national mother. She is also a safeguard against corrupt Prime Ministers. In my view, actively opposing The Queen is arguably a form of treason, and should be treated as such. Long live The Queen!

I'd rather be against the UK than for hereditary power, codified in law.

Yep, this is true. This is why countries have revolutions.
Original post by Alofleicester
You did say however that you agreed with the OP, who said those who don't like the Queen should be deported.

Original post by thunder_chunky
What Alofleicester said. You are agreeing with what hte OP said hence why I said what I said. I disagree with the OP and I disagree with you, after all it's a daft line of reasoning.

My comment was regarding the people saying she's done nothing to earn her respect, and placing it in context I was agreeing with OP in terms of national mother etc, I said nothing about deportation. That's not the only thing the OP said.
A safeguard against corrupt Prime Ministers? I really don't think so. Unfortunately, in this day and age, Her Majesty is merely a ceremonial figurehead. Really, she holds no power or authority. Occurrences such as the Royal Assent and the opening of Parliament and whatnot are merely convention and not actually established constitutionally (there being no written constitution).

In short, the Queen, Prince and whatnot of England and Wales (and Britain, if you will) are merely remnants of a bygone era, where the King or Queen of England was greatly important and was even an Emperor or Empress of the Empire.
Reply 99
Original post by Duncan123
Out of interest, when does the Queen stop corrupt Prime Ministers? She's bound by law to accept what the people choose and legitimise all legislation that parliament sends for royal accession? x)

That's complete, unadulterated rubbish. I'm beginning to think people should be flogged for presuming to give legal opinions without at least a bachelor's degree in law.

Original post by javmafia
Yeah right she didn't protect us from the EU (Maastricht Treaty, treaty of nice).

Nutter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending