The Student Room Group

Shoud I take a Foundation year

Context:

I am a 17-year-old UK student in his first year of Sixth Form currently studying a BTEC extended national diploma in applied science course. I spend most of my day either progressively working through the assignments I have been set for my course or experimenting with coding and developing my knowledge in computer science via online YouTube videos or by means of conducting my own personal research into specific aspects I don’t fully understand. Had I more time in my day, I would spend it developing my practical understanding of the programming language I’m currently focused on, that being python.

I am certain that I would like to do a bachelor’s degree in computer science at university, as having a career path in software engineering is the only thing, I’m interested in. I have reflected over how, although having taken Computer science for my GCSE and achieving a passing grade coupled with a grade 5/C for both Maths and English, I am unlikely to meet up to the requirements most universities will have for the course. I am concerned as to whether or not I should take up an A-level as an online course such as Math or Computer science or develop my knowledge in IT by means of online coding courses.

Applying For University:

After careful consideration of which university, I intend to apply for during the years 2025-2026 ideally, I have narrowed my options to:

1. University of East London

2. University of Queen Mary

3. The Open University

The University of East London requires that their applicants for the BSc (Hons) in Computer Science have either a “C-C-C” grade in their A level or a “M-M-M” in their BTEC extended course, both ideally in a relevant Computer/Engineering subject (UCAS Tariff 96 points). I would prefer applying for this university as it would mean a significantly shorter travelling distance from home to campus as I live nearby in comparison to Queen Mary University.

On the other hand, The University of Queen Mary requires that their applicants for the same course achieve either a “A-A-A” grade in their A level or a “D*-D*-D” in their BTEC extended course with a grade 5 in GCSE Mathematics alongside the BTEC course (UCAS Tariff 160 points). On one hand, this university seemingly does not require me to do a BTEC course related to computer science, however the requirements are higher and I’m unlikely to be accepted when my application is matched against those who completed their requirement for the A level offer.

My last option is to do the same course on the Open University online, which does not seem to have any requirements yet advices their applicants to have some prior knowledge in the subject for their own personal benefit when deciding to take the course. The perks of this option are that I will be able to complete the same degree without having to physically attend a campus, which allows me to consider taking on a part time job alongside completing the degree full time.

Consideration of a Foundation Year:

Both the University of East London and Queen Mary offer the choice of a foundation year for students who need to gain a basic understanding of the subject they have chosen to study, which from one perspective, would be beneficial for the individual student who literally has no prior knowledge on the subject, however from another perspective, that would mean spending possibly an extra 1-2 years maybe even 3 for the same course that could be done in a total of just 3.

I would prefer completing my course in the least amount of time possible, that being just 3 years and moving on to a Master degree as I already have knowledge in the subject of Computer science and intend to do any further work for the 1 and a half years I have left to complete my BTEC course at Sixth form.

I would argue that I am capable of learning content at a rather fast and consistent pace, as just within a span of 6 months of dedicating myself to developing my knowledge in Python (which is my goal to learn as much as I can before the year ends and subsequently move on to learning JavaScript) I have been able to write up to 100+ lines of code for both a basic Restaurant Management System and a user-friendly Dice roll game.

The Questions:

1) Should I complete an additional A level alongside my BTEC course while I am still in my first year of sixth form in either Mathematics or Computer Science to boost my chances of meeting entry requirements which will cost money?

2) Should I take an online course related to programming/coding to use as a certificate of knowledge in the subject which I might be able to accumulate a couple before applying for university?

3) Should I apply for East London University as it is the closest to my area of residence and will mean I can travel to and from the Uni the days I need to without much difficulty and the requirements are generally lower?

Please feel free to share your experiences when answering, I am very much intrigued to hear from those who have either faced/facing a similar situation to me or have knowledge in this field.
Original post by Kayz0473
Context:
I am a 17-year-old UK student in his first year of Sixth Form currently studying a BTEC extended national diploma in applied science course. I spend most of my day either progressively working through the assignments I have been set for my course or experimenting with coding and developing my knowledge in computer science via online YouTube videos or by means of conducting my own personal research into specific aspects I don’t fully understand. Had I more time in my day, I would spend it developing my practical understanding of the programming language I’m currently focused on, that being python.
I am certain that I would like to do a bachelor’s degree in computer science at university, as having a career path in software engineering is the only thing, I’m interested in. I have reflected over how, although having taken Computer science for my GCSE and achieving a passing grade coupled with a grade 5/C for both Maths and English, I am unlikely to meet up to the requirements most universities will have for the course. I am concerned as to whether or not I should take up an A-level as an online course such as Math or Computer science or develop my knowledge in IT by means of online coding courses.
Applying For University:
After careful consideration of which university, I intend to apply for during the years 2025-2026 ideally, I have narrowed my options to:
1. University of East London
2. University of Queen Mary
3. The Open University
The University of East London requires that their applicants for the BSc (Hons) in Computer Science have either a “C-C-C” grade in their A level or a “M-M-M” in their BTEC extended course, both ideally in a relevant Computer/Engineering subject (UCAS Tariff 96 points). I would prefer applying for this university as it would mean a significantly shorter travelling distance from home to campus as I live nearby in comparison to Queen Mary University.
On the other hand, The University of Queen Mary requires that their applicants for the same course achieve either a “A-A-A” grade in their A level or a “D*-D*-D” in their BTEC extended course with a grade 5 in GCSE Mathematics alongside the BTEC course (UCAS Tariff 160 points). On one hand, this university seemingly does not require me to do a BTEC course related to computer science, however the requirements are higher and I’m unlikely to be accepted when my application is matched against those who completed their requirement for the A level offer.
My last option is to do the same course on the Open University online, which does not seem to have any requirements yet advices their applicants to have some prior knowledge in the subject for their own personal benefit when deciding to take the course. The perks of this option are that I will be able to complete the same degree without having to physically attend a campus, which allows me to consider taking on a part time job alongside completing the degree full time.
Consideration of a Foundation Year:
Both the University of East London and Queen Mary offer the choice of a foundation year for students who need to gain a basic understanding of the subject they have chosen to study, which from one perspective, would be beneficial for the individual student who literally has no prior knowledge on the subject, however from another perspective, that would mean spending possibly an extra 1-2 years maybe even 3 for the same course that could be done in a total of just 3.
I would prefer completing my course in the least amount of time possible, that being just 3 years and moving on to a Master degree as I already have knowledge in the subject of Computer science and intend to do any further work for the 1 and a half years I have left to complete my BTEC course at Sixth form.
I would argue that I am capable of learning content at a rather fast and consistent pace, as just within a span of 6 months of dedicating myself to developing my knowledge in Python (which is my goal to learn as much as I can before the year ends and subsequently move on to learning JavaScript) I have been able to write up to 100+ lines of code for both a basic Restaurant Management System and a user-friendly Dice roll game.
The Questions:
1) Should I complete an additional A level alongside my BTEC course while I am still in my first year of sixth form in either Mathematics or Computer Science to boost my chances of meeting entry requirements which will cost money?
2) Should I take an online course related to programming/coding to use as a certificate of knowledge in the subject which I might be able to accumulate a couple before applying for university?
3) Should I apply for East London University as it is the closest to my area of residence and will mean I can travel to and from the Uni the days I need to without much difficulty and the requirements are generally lower?
Please feel free to share your experiences when answering, I am very much intrigued to hear from those who have either faced/facing a similar situation to me or have knowledge in this field.

Hello @Kayz0473,

Having read your post, I think that you would be interested in considering our BSc Computer Science course. You mentioned quite a few factors that would indicate flexibility is important to you, which is a huge focus for us at LIBF.

Our online BSc and MSc courses are designed to allow you to allow you to study at your own pace and adapt your learning to your personal schedule. Furthermore, our platform is mobile-friendly, you can engage with your learning material from anywhere eliminating any commute related worries. Our courses fit around your life, not the other way, which means you're free to do things such as have a part-time job, like you mentioned.

You can learn more about our BSc Computer Science course here - https://bit.ly/3vlZF3u

Another way we focus on flexibility is entry requirements, which you mentioned is a worry for you. At LIBF, we understand each individual's journey is unique and take a holistic approach to each application. We factor in personal statements, backgrounds, work experiences, and other qualifications, including BTECs. Therefore, I recommend speaking with one of our study advisors who can provide tailored advice based on your qualifications and experience. You can find their contact details, and more about our entry requirements, here - https://bit.ly/49W9pA7.

Finally, we have a study guide on our website which is designed to help students prepare for a computer science degree and to imagine what their career could look like after one. I think that this might be useful for you in preparing for your next steps, no matter where you decide to study 😊 - https://bit.ly/3TrrFLd

I hope that this helps 😊 Good luck!

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending