The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In fact I just thought, it says she pleaded with him for 8 minutes and the second thing she asked was if he would wait while she went to a cash machine. I catch a bus from that line of bus stops to go to Uni and where that particular stop is there is a cash machine literally in the wall on the other side of the road. It would have taken her 1 minute or so to go and withdraw some cash, so if the driver had let her do that he wouldn't have been held up 8 minutes and she wouldn't have gotten raped.

Saying that he'd probably agree to let her go get the cash then drive off as soon as she stepped off the bus, I've seen that happen a few times.
Once going to school one girl was on crutches and was a tiny bit late, the bus had pulled up and she was further down the road hobbling along, would have taken her a minute to get to the bus. We said to the driver oh can you just hold on for her she's on crutches and wants the bus, guy says yeah. The second we go to sit down he closes the doors and speeds off, absolute prick, guy got abuse the entire 20 minute journey.
Original post by TheSownRose
Obviously very tragic and the bastard deserves to be in prison for a long, long time ... but I don't understand the emphasis on the bus fare.

It's not like an automatic assumption of 'walking home in the dark means getting raped' exists; thousands of people walk home in the dark, they don't all end up getting raped. I'd like to think that, if I were that driver, I would have let her on ... but in reality, if my job was potentially at risk if I did so (certainly heard enough tales of red hot pokers in uncomfortable places from Cambridge bus drivers), would I? Perhaps not.

Similarly, there have been many times where I have given people money for bus fare. There's a kid that I paid the entire fare of, not a week goes by when I don't give at least a couple of people something. But there have also been times when I didn't - I've been upstairs, I was listening to music, I just didn't have the change or needed it for something else... If one of those people was later raped whilst walking home, does that mean I'm partially to blame? Of course not.

What surprises me most here is it didn't occur to anyone that she could get a damn sight closer to home with £4.80, then just walk the much shorter distance. :confused:

I agree with everything you’ve said, especially the part in bold. Morons these days are quick to jump onto the bandwagon of biased journalism and finding scapegoats.

None of those passengers did anything 'wrong' by not giving her 20p. As stingy as it may be, it's their money and they can do whatever the bloody hell they want with it. The driver did nothing wrong either. He was simply following basic protocol. If she can’t pay the fare then she can’t get on!

The only person accountable here is the rapist. It wasn’t the passengers or the driver who dragged her into the bush and I’m pretty sure they would never have wished that upon her.
Original post by green.tea
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=white+knight+syndrome

Bad why? Ive been wishing an attractive woman would fall into water and be unable to swim for this reason since i was 12. :daydreaming:

It can annoy people I guess, because its so blatant that you wouldn't treat someone else as nice, obviously your example is different because a life is in danger, but in this case noone on that bus could've forseen what happened later to that lady.
Original post by green.tea
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=white+knight+syndrome

Bad why? Ive been wishing an attractive woman would fall into water and be unable to swim for this reason since i was 12. :daydreaming:

Why, hello... :sexface:
Original post by TheSownRose
Obviously very tragic and the bastard deserves to be in prison for a long, long time ... but I don't understand the emphasis on the bus fare.

It's not like an automatic assumption of 'walking home in the dark means getting raped' exists; thousands of people walk home in the dark, they don't all end up getting raped. I'd like to think that, if I were that driver, I would have let her on ... but in reality, if my job was potentially at risk if I did so (certainly heard enough tales of red hot pokers in uncomfortable places from Cambridge bus drivers), would I? Perhaps not.

Similarly, there have been many times where I have given people money for bus fare. There's a kid that I paid the entire fare of, not a week goes by when I don't give at least a couple of people something. But there have also been times when I didn't - I've been upstairs, I was listening to music, I just didn't have the change or needed it for something else... If one of those people was later raped whilst walking home, does that mean I'm partially to blame? Of course not.

What surprises me most here is it didn't occur to anyone that she could get a damn sight closer to home with £4.80, then just walk the much shorter distance. :confused:

it might have been a flat fare if it was a nightbus.
Original post by Theturnbull9
Well put it this way.. would you rather have the customer paying the £4.80 for the seat late at night which I assume there wasn't that many people on the bus. Or tell her to get off and lose out on the £4.80.. common sense use your brain. I think it was more about the bus driver being awkward more than anything.

You clearly have no understanding of how businesses work.
Original post by TheLastOfUs
Typical non european immigrant. Crimes like these will only rise as more foreign immigrants from the third world countries are brought to the UK by leftist politicians.

Shutup he is HALF WHITE if you can't tell .Dont try and lump mixed race people who commit crime with us blacks . We are not the same
Typical non european immigrant. Crimes like these will only rise as more foreign immigrants from the third world countries are brought to the UK by leftist politicians.

What are you talking about, his name is Joseph Moran

I'm guessing he is British and half-caste/mixed-race

No need to bring immigrants into this
Original post by Craig_D
True, but that's no good to her when the rape's actually happening. If someone is stranded miles from home at 3am it's no good saying 'Tough, it's your own fault that you're stranded, but don't worry, if you happen to be brutally raped we'll do everything to catch them - until then, you're on your own', measures have to be taken to prevent it happening. Rape isn't like burglary where the Police get your stuff back and everything is cool again (an exaggeration, but I'm sure you get my point), rapes leaves very serious emotional and psychological scars. I personally cannot bear the idea of standing idly aside and leaving vulnerable people on the street at night at the mercy of scum like Joseph Moran, and offering help only after they've been attacked, it's way too late at that point.

Yeah, I'm with you to that extent. How a busload of people could have stood idly by for eight minutes while she pleaded with the driver to spare her the 20p is beyond me, frankly.

Where does it say anything about him being an immigrant? Typical troll account I gather!

He is English.

The guy wants putting down or putting to hard labour.

All these should haves been thrown about!

She should have done this, the driver should have done that. Which is all well and good in hindsight.

The only should is, it 'should' be safe to walk anywhere at any time without having to worry about being raped or assaulted or murdered.
(edited 11 years ago)
Obviously the rapist was to blame but I can honestly say that I'd of advised her to just get a £4.80 ticket or give her 20p. It's 3am at night & surely you can't let the women take the risk.
Reply 171
Come on people, you can't blame the bus driver. My friend's dad is a bus driver and they are NOT ALLOWED to let people on the bus if they do not have the right money. Would you risk your job to let some student get on the bus? Cos I know I wouldn't.

Blaming the bus driver is the worst thing you can do. Blame the rapist not innocent people who are only doing their job.
Also the bus driver should be sued because i have just found out something that will make most people change their views on this case and that is that it is ILLEGAL to kick someone off a bus . You have to take their name and address and the money has to be sent within a certain period of time
Original post by cambio wechsel
I don't understand how the Nottingham bus-service now works, then. Is there some kind of flat-fare circumstance?

This girl was refused a ticket on the bus and then called her mum to pick her up as she began walking in the direction of her home, a 12 mile walk in sub-zero temperatures, is how it came to be that the mother was among the first at the scene. My own inclination would have been to say to the driver, "take me as far as I can go for £4:80 " and called mum from the warmth of the bus to pick me up for the last mile or so.

Yeah it's flat fares on Nottingham Night buses. £3 on Nottingham City buses and £5 on the buses that go to the surrounding towns such as Mansfield, Long Eaton, Ilkeston etc.
Only ugly ****ers like him have to rape women. We should get rid of all ugly people in the world to stop rape.
Reply 175
Original post by pinkangelgirl
Theres trolling and then theres just being downright heartless.

In no way was it HER fault to get raped. Yes she should have made sure she had the right amount of money so she could get home safely, but just because she didnt how does that make it her fault? No one asks to get raped.

Maybe she lost the 20p she needed or something.

And yeh its no one else's fault, but at 3am in the morning who would make someone walk home?! I bet that bus driver feels so guilty (though again, its not his fault).

I feel so sorry for the girl, she must be feeling so bad right now. I bet shes blaming herself 'what if id called my parents'' ''what if id had the 20p'' but no one knows whats going to happn or whats just round the corner.

:frown: it really is sad, and people like that scumbag should NEVER be allowed to see the light of day again.

I think I sort of agree with the person who posted that. As an intelligent person she should have thought through the consequences of not having enough money.
Though obviously it is 99% the rapists fault! She shouldn't have been so stupid. Did she ask any of the passengers for 20p?
The poor girl getting raped is not her fault in any way whatsoever. That mother****er deserves to rot in prison. They should torture him for a bit, and then lock him up. Dirty scum bag.
Heart goes out to this strong woman and her family though.
ERgh.
Original post by hajinator
Only ugly ****ers like him have to rape women. We should get rid of all ugly people in the world to stop rape.

Do you find Stephen Hawking ugly? Well by your logic we wouldn't be advancing much in Science and other fields would we! So we kill people because of how they look? Yet another troll account on TSR:rolleyes:.

Rape is a power thing for some people so, well, if you cannot work it out, well, I cannot be bothered explaining it to you.

#EDIT: My days some of you power reppers really are questionable.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jeester
I think I sort of agree with the person who posted that. As an intelligent person she should have thought through the consequences of not having enough money.
Though obviously it is 99% the rapists fault! She shouldn't have been so stupid. Did she ask any of the passengers for 20p?

Well I dont think thats agreeing with me at all as I dont think ANY of it was her fault.

You think 1% of the blame should be given to her just because she couldnt afford her 20p bus fayre? Dont be so ridiculous.

There is only one person to blame here and thats the sick rapist. 100%
Original post by theoferdinand
Also the bus driver should be sued because i have just found out something that will make most people change their views on this case and that is that it is ILLEGAL to kick someone off a bus . You have to take their name and address and the money has to be sent within a certain period of time

Have you got a source for this? Could come in handy.

Latest

Trending

Trending