The Student Room Group

Does the welfare system cause you "huge resentment" ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by curtis871
and the people that don't abuse it but do actually need it?

Well, maybe it would be better if the system only allowed someone to be paid for a certain number of months instead, so they have the drive to find work before time runs out, but that isn't going to happen, unfortunately.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ForKicks
:facepalm: Are you forgetting this huge global recession? You make it sound like the Tories caused it, lol.

There isn't a global recession, the global recession was in 2008-09. Now it's just the UK in recession plus a handful of other struggling Eurozone countries. The US isn't in recession, Germany isn't in recession, these economies are recovering.

The Tories might not have caused the 2008-09 global recession but they took over at a time when there was a brief period of relatively strong recovery in the UK from that, and they first stagnated the economy and then sent it back into recession at a time when other comparable economies have been recovering - and the Tories can't blame anyone else for their record.
I think the welfare system just encourages lazyness and dependancy.. a system should be created to put these people in work and get off benefits. Set up labour camps or chain gangs to clean the roadside and set 2 child policies and food and clothes stamps like in the US! Take away job seekers allowance to people who dont find a job after 1 month. There's so many things they could do, it baffles me how all these MPs went to prestigious schools and universities yet they fail to use logic to find money saving alternatives to the welfare system..
Original post by Steve1654
I think the welfare system just encourages lazyness and dependancy.. a system should be created to put these people in work and get off benefits. Set up labour camps or chain gangs to clean the roadside

Why not use those things to set up jobs instead and pay people to do them instead,

and set 2 child policies

And do what when people exceed them? Allow the kids to starve through no fault of their own? Forced abortions?

and food and clothes stamps like in the US!

MASSIVE admin cost to not really save all that much.

Take away job seekers allowance to people who dont find a job after 1 month.

So people who can't get a job within a month because there aren't enough jobs to go around should just starve then?
My friend with an NVQ Level 3 and experience in childcare and a NVQ Level 2 in food something (can't remember) and 4 years of experience working in bars/clubs as well as 6 months of retail was unemployed for 8 months. She applied for every job she could realistically reach with public transport (even ones where she'd have to get two buses and a train) that she was qualified to do. During the time she was on jobseekers she got a food hygiene certificate and was sent on a leadership course and took an updated IT course, still nothing.
Should she have starved for 7 months?

There's so many things they could do, it baffles me how all these MPs went to prestigious schools and universities yet they fail to use logic to find money saving alternatives to the welfare system..

I don't see any feasible examples.
Take away job seekers allowance to people who dont find a job after 1 month

lol. Clearly you have no idea at all about the real world.
Original post by minimarshmallow
Why not use those things to set up jobs instead and pay people to do them instead,

And do what when people exceed them? Allow the kids to starve through no fault of their own? Forced abortions?

MASSIVE admin cost to not really save all that much.

So people who can't get a job within a month because there aren't enough jobs to go around should just starve then?
My friend with an NVQ Level 3 and experience in childcare and a NVQ Level 2 in food something (can't remember) and 4 years of experience working in bars/clubs as well as 6 months of retail was unemployed for 8 months. She applied for every job she could realistically reach with public transport (even ones where she'd have to get two buses and a train) that she was qualified to do. During the time she was on jobseekers she got a food hygiene certificate and was sent on a leadership course and took an updated IT course, still nothing.
Should she have starved for 7 months?

I don't see any feasible examples.

I don't see why you place much emphasis on the fact that people will starve? We live in a first world country where food is readily available for all in some shape or form. Are you insane? That's not what i'm getting at. I'm saying provide jobs with labour camps and road workers. Food stamps, i dont see that as huge admin.. Printing stamps and posting them to claimants? And as for your friend yes jobs are in short supply but they aren't as hard to get as i think you're making out, you just need to know people and be prepared to start in low level jobs. And as for the two child policy. As has been demonstrated by Japan workers and citizens need licenses to be able to have children and they are heavily regulated and enforced by employers and benefits such as tax breaks and such are available for people who follow these laws. And as alternatives children are placed in orphanages or abortion is used.
Then call up HR and explain the situation. They really are quite good at that kind of thing.

Not really. If it is a day long assessment centre, they cannot change it for you.

You can spread them out.

Err no you can't. If you cannot make an interview, then tough, you won't get another one.

This is based on personal experience and from that of friends. Yes it may be a representation, but hardly naive guess-work.

I don't believe what you are saying is based on any experience at all.

At the end of the day, they want to crack down on the sense of entitlement that has infested many young people.

So then crack down on those who abuse or play the system. Not the genuine people.

The legislation would prevent that and have provisions to make sure those honestly looking for jobs won't lose out.

No evidence that it would though

but I believe what will happen will be for the best.

God you are still stupidly naive!!
Original post by WelshBluebird
lol. Clearly you have no idea at all about the real world.

Lets put it this way. I know numerous people who have found jobs in under a month, and you clearly have no idea about how JSA causes dependancy and lazyness amongst certain members of the public..
Reply 188
Original post by PrismaticCore
I was basically going to say the same thing.

I agree with having benefits for people who genuinely need them, but it's come to a point where living on benefits is actually a better deal than getting a job for people. And that's where we're going wrong. Benefits should only be there for people who seriously can't live without them. I think they should focus more on tracking where the benefits are going. Maybe giving most benefits as coupons or whatnot for them to spend and then maybe a £10 to cover anything that isn't covered by the coupons?
I don't know. But whatever it is, free handouts is leading to people basically taking them and buying themselves stuff they don't really need (as mentioned in the previous post) using money which not only is taxpayer's, but also can be used to fund public services which are crippling, like the NHS.

I know someone whose mother and father are split up. Her mother's on benefits, whilst her father's an investment banker, and she lives with her mother. Therefore this girl is on full benefits (got £30 a week EMA) and also used to come into school in expensive brand clothing and recently just bought herself a brand new pair of Louboutins. It's situations like this which really infuriate me, simply because she'll be basically getting a 'better deal' whilst I'll be offered the lowest grant/loan on Student Finance :rolleyes:

the politics of envy
Original post by CurlyBen
That's an issue that needs addressing - those in full time employment shouldn't need benefits in order to pay for housing, as effectively that means the state is subsidising the employer. My dad knew a guy who worked on minimum wage in a restaurant in London, and got substantial benefits. If he hadn't had those benefits he wouldn't have been able to do the job. Not the guy's fault, obviously, but it shouldn't be up to the state to subsidise living costs because an employer isn't paying sufficient to live and commute within a reasonable distance of the business. Slightly different in the case of part time work, but for full time work it's just daft. My personal preference would be for the benefits to be withdrawn and therefore force the employers to increase the wages to a level where benefits aren't needed, but I realise that would cause a lot of short term problems.

I would like that to happen too. But you can't really force that to happen unless you increase the minimum wage. Something which the right wing tell us will lead to death and destruction!
And you would still need benefits because of those who have only been able to find part time work.

I am sure any removal of housing benefits would take into account people whose parents can't look after them.

How so? The basics (food and bills) can't change that much.

Please stop being so damn naive for gods sake!
"I am sure" - no you are bloody not!
Lets put it this way. I know numerous people who have found jobs in under a month, and you clearly have no idea about how JSA causes dependancy and lazyness amongst certain members of the public..

There are so many more people looking for jobs than there are jobs available. To remove support after just a month would essentially be genocide.
There are so many more people looking for jobs than there are jobs available. To remove support after just a month would essentially be genocide.

Yeah essentially.....:shifty:
Reply 192

That's an idiotic and inappropriate use of a word for nothing more than the purposes of class war.
I don't see why you place much emphasis on the fact that people will starve? We live in a first world country where food is readily available for all in some shape or form. Are you insane? That's not what i'm getting at. I'm saying provide jobs with labour camps and road workers. Food stamps, i dont see that as huge admin.. Printing stamps and posting them to claimants? And as for your friend yes jobs are in short supply but they aren't as hard to get as i think you're making out, you just need to know people and be prepared to start in low level jobs. And as for the two child policy. As has been demonstrated by Japan workers and citizens need licenses to be able to have children and they are heavily regulated and enforced by employers and benefits such as tax breaks and such are available for people who follow these laws. And as alternatives children are placed in orphanages or abortion is used.

Yeah, food is readily available if you have money.

You were proposing we make people on benefits do those things, not make them into jobs.

You print them (costly), have someone sort them out into envelopes (creates a job, but it's still a cost), post them (costly), have to make sure all shops accept them (costly), have to redeem the cost (costs as much as giving them the money, so not actually saving any money at any stage).

Well she struggled for 8 months. The job centre was saying there were at least 10 applicants for each position she was applying for. She's now unemployed again but on some sort of sickness benefit (can't remember which) because she just had surgery on her hand and wrist and is in plaster for the next 8 weeks. Although she's still applying for jobs to start after she gets better, but often the employer won't wait that long.

You don't see any problems in forcing women to have abortions? How lovely of you.
Also, if you put a child into an orphanage, the state still has to pay to feed and clothe them, they just also have to pay to raise them as well; often with poor consequences.
Reply 194
Not really. If it is a day long assessment centre, they cannot change it for you.

Err no you can't. If you cannot make an interview, then tough, you won't get another one.

I don't believe what you are saying is based on any experience at all.

So then crack down on those who abuse or play the system. Not the genuine people.

No evidence that it would though

God you are still stupidly naive!!

All you have done in this thread is insult people, and claim that you are in some way incredibly worldly and enlightened. Does it not occur to you that for every part of you that believes that anyone not sharing your own opinion is "naive", that you come across as a student trot, a typical class warrior?
Reply 195
Original post by minimarshmallow
Yeah, food is readily available if you have money.

You were proposing we make people on benefits do those things, not make them into jobs.

And why is it my responsibility to pay for their food just because they've got none of their own money?

And what's wrong with making people on benefits do those things? It would teach the ****ers the benefit (pardon the pun) of a hard day's graft.
Original post by Otkem
And why is it my responsibility to pay for their food just because they've got none of their own money?

And what's wrong with making people on benefits do those things? It would teach the ****ers the benefit (pardon the pun) of a hard day's graft.

Because that's why you pay tax. And the same service would be available to you if you lost your job.

I disagree with your expletive, people on benefits are not all '****ers', so let's drop that right away shall we. Many of them are people who've fallen on hard times because of the recession and maybe losing their job.
And the point is that if you get someone on benefits to do it for free (or just for their benefits) you're removing the need to create a job and employ someone to do it, and then that person ends up staying on benefits and doing that job that they could be being paid a wage to do.
Original post by Clip
That's an idiotic and inappropriate use of a word for nothing more than the purposes of class war.

Yeah essentially.....:shifty:

Why not?
There are not enough jobs right now.
So cutting support that soon is essentially saying that unless you already have a lot of money, then tough, we will not help you, you can go and starve. I fail to see why that is not a realistic situation

Original post by Clip
All you have done in this thread is insult people, and claim that you are in some way incredibly worldly and enlightened. Does it not occur to you that for every part of you that believes that anyone not sharing your own opinion is "naive", that you come across as a student trot, a typical class warrior?

I am sorry. But the person I was replying to clearly is naive as he:
1 - Does not realise how expensive things are
2 - Thinks everything will work out fine no matter what.
To me, that is pretty much the definition of naive.
Oh, and saying someone is naive is not an insult. It is a statement of fact.
Reply 198
Why not?
There are not enough jobs right now.
So cutting support that soon is essentially saying that unless you already have a lot of money, then tough, we will not help you, you can go and starve. I fail to see why that is not a realistic situation

I am sorry. But the person I was replying to clearly is naive as he:
1 - Does not realise how expensive things are
2 - Thinks everything will work out fine no matter what.
To me, that is pretty much the definition of naive.
Oh, and saying someone is naive is not an insult. It is a statement of fact.

Long time no speak *air kisses*.

I see you're still here supporting the idle. There are plenty of jobs if you're willing to accept whatever comes along or are prepared to make your own job (I've mentioned dog-walking many atime to you).
I would like that to happen too. But you can't really force that to happen unless you increase the minimum wage. Something which the right wing tell us will lead to death and destruction!
And you would still need benefits because of those who have only been able to find part time work.

Well, if you remove the benefits then the cheap labour will evaporate - at which point a number of things may/will happen: the wages increase to make it economically to live within commutable distance, but inevitably the price of the restaurant/shops will have to rise to cover the rise in wages, which may make them uncompetitive. In turn, that may drive down the value of properties etc. in the area. As things stand, the businesses and landlords are effectively subsidised by the state in some areas. I realise that this is by no means universal, and that the short term effects of simply stopping benefits would be unacceptable, but my preference would very much be for the market to set the wage and not the state. As ever, most people will agree broadly on what should be aimed for but disagree on how.
Oh, and I'm very much right wing! (But I do try not to just be reactionary)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending