The Student Room Group

Does the welfare system cause you "huge resentment" ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by WelshBluebird
Because:
1 - Not everyone under 25 can stay with their parents.
2 - Staying with their parents may mean having to quit their job. Not a great idea.
3 - Staying with their parents may make getting a job an awful lot more difficult because of location.
As for rent, that is what HB is for. duh.

So the taxpayer should fund this?
Original post by Iron Lady
Diddums! They have to share rooms with siblings! ZOMG, my heart bleeds.
Or do they have to rearrange their home so that cannot fit their home cinema in?

This has been such an eye-opening post, thank you WelshBlueBird!

Have you not read anything in this thread?
Sometimes the parents are dead.
Sometimes the parents are abusive.
Sometimes there is not enough room full stop.
Sometimes the people have a job, and moving to their parents will mean they have to give it up and go on the dole instead.

Oh, and can we please stop this assumption that everyone on benefits has bloody home cinemas and stuff? Because it is not true for everyone.
So the taxpayer should fund this?

Why not?
You think people should be forced to move in with abusive parents?
Or forced to sleep on their parents floor?
Or forced to give up a job?
Or forced to spend even longer on the dole by moving to a place where job prospects are even worse?
What if the parents are dead?
Or what if the parents simply say no?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 383
Original post by ForKicks
Boom, that is the reason why they want to cut it. There is no entitlement.

Bravo!
Reply 384
Why not?
You think people should be forced to move in with abusive parents?
Or forced to sleep on their parents floor?
Or forced to give up a job?
Or forced to spend even longer on the dole by moving to a place where job prospects are even worse?

I was challenging how you feel that under 25s are so entitled.

To answer some of the questions:
1. Sofa-bed.
2. Live with a nearby relative.
rofl. This has got nothing to do with the Daily Mail though.
The "solutions" this government has WILL affect genuine cases aswell as the benefit cheats, unless there are some serious changes to the ideas.

FFS, stop ignoring what Cameron said at the same time as this proposal. Just because you don't believe him about protection for special cases, it doesn't mean that the reforms will be a straight axe. You are still straw manning the hell out of this through speculation.
Reply 386
Or what if the parents simply say no?

I highly doubt a good parent would do that.
Reply 387
As I said, it isn't about skills. Its about getting ANY job.
In many places, the jobs just simply are not there. You can retrain as much as you like. It still will not help you.

How about making tea for people?
Reply 388
And if the megabus does not go to where your interview is?

On your bike.

Why should someone who is 24 be forced to live with their parents but not a person who is 25?

1. Sofa-bed.

1 - Not a very good solution to a long term problem.
2 - You assume there are other relatives.
And you have ignored the other issues.

I highly doubt a good parent would do that.

So?
Some parents do say no to their kids living with them after 18 / moving out.

On your bike.

I'd like you to cycle to the other side of the country!
How about making tea for people?

Please live in the real world.
Someone is not going to be able to afford rent by making tea for people.
FFS, stop ignoring what Cameron said at the same time as this proposal. Just because you don't believe him about protection for special cases, it doesn't mean that the reforms will be a straight axe. You are still straw manning the hell out of this through speculation.

So you genuinely think EVERY SINGLE genuine case will be fine?
God you are naive.
People are falling through the gaps now, so I fail to see why you think everything will be fine in a few years time.
Reply 392
Original post by StarsAreFixed
Benefits are much higher in ROI. The full dole is €198 a week. On top of that you get child benefit, rent allowance, fuel allowance, school books and uniform support, family income support...etc. There is a sliding scale if you are under 25, and if you haven't paid enough stamps, the dole you get is lower again. But it's not going to go below €120 unless you live at home and your parents have decent incomes. And you can still get rent allowance etc.

A report has been published which states that 44% of people currently working in Ireland are better off on the dole. That's insane.

However, the self-employed are not helped if they lost their businesses (i.e. the hard-working).
Reply 393
Original post by Left Hand Drive
No why would I?

Have you benefited from it then?
Why should someone who is 24 be forced to live with their parents but not a person who is 25?

1 - Not a very good solution to a long term problem.

Just because I never got a response to those questions, I shall reiterate my replies.

Why can you drink alcohol at 18 and not 17, why do you have a whole host of statutory age limits where a month makes a difference? It is because it has to be drawn at a square age based on the statistics available.

Hopefully they wouldn't be unemployed too long! Who could go years without even getting a sniff at a cleaning job? Besides, you do what you can!
Reply 395
Original post by original_username
I don't resent legitimate claimants, those that exploit the system are the only people that deserve to be resented.

I also don't subscribe to the fact everyone must be punished as a result of the exploitation of the few.

I am fed up of reading about how these people need to get jobs and buzz phrases like incentive to work. If there aren't enough jobs to go around then there will be unemployed, in a climate where people are getting laid off because companies are going bust then those that have experience will jump ahead of the longer term unemployed when it comes to getting new jobs. It's far easier to target these people and brandish them scroungers than to actually resolve the issues leading to people being unemployed, or certain families thinking they can play the system.

But they can always try to find a job.
Yes, but they are still a safeguard for those unable to get housing, which is a GOOD thing.

What are you on about? I never said that and it appears you trot this out for everyone who disagrees. Shelters are good to keep people off the street.

I don't agree with me by the sound of it, haha. You have not only missed the point, but I have no idea what you are ranting about. I said that the special circumstances of individuals who would be left homeless would probably have provisions made for them.

Your agreeing with removing HB for a large amount of these homeless people (under 25s), so no one can pay for their shelter, so they dont get it

Do you get it now?

That hasnt been confirmed, and at the moment we can only presume its more Tory lies. I mean what have they been honest about so far, apart from the fact they were going to cut benefits?
Reply 397
Original post by thebruciebonus
why would you get a low paid job when you can sit at home doing nothing and play xbox for a similar amount? Those who really need income support deserve it, thought I've heard of people turning down jobs since its easier on the dole.

But there is a lot of pride in working, even if it is a low-paid job. It just depends on their morals, I suppose.

1. Sofa-bed.

Sofa bed where? The street?

Again, your presuming everyone has relatives, and nearby ones at that

WRONG
But they can always try to find a job.

The overwhelming majority are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending