The Student Room Group

Renewal energy...... im not a rocket scientist, but.....

Scroll to see replies

A blog post I wrote on energy sources a while back if you're interested:

http://theyorkshiretyke.com/2011/09/25/nuclear-power-is-the-future/
Original post by kingkongjaffa
nuclear power is the way to go but badly designed old japanese reactors have scare mongered everyone into denouncing them/ look at france they are 77.1% nuclear and have never had a problem.

Damn Greenpeace...
Original post by JamalAhmed
Wind turbines make a lot of noise, take up a lot of space and don't really look that nice.

Some wind turbines actually look pretty cool. The ones near where I live were painted black with red stripes. The blades themselves each have their own colour.
Reply 23
There are a lot of 'Why don't they just...'

Another example is 'Why don't they just put magnetoelectric semiconductors near permanent magnets....?'

Just don't question the almighty physics :redface:
As well as the aesthetic problems with wind turbines, they also cost a fair bit to produce (relative to how much money they save when used, at least).
Economically speaking, wind turbines are useless. As an energy source, they're unreliable.

From an aesthetic point of view, I actually think they add something to our countryside n coastline. Pity they're useless from a practical point of view, otherwise i'd be all for them.
Reply 26
ok consider this idea, a bit far fetched but bare with me...

unemployment, obesity and climate change are major human issues
electricity can be generated by rotating magnets near a coil of wire
so why not employ people to use exercise bikes; as the wheels rotate on the bike it causes the magnet to rotate inside the generator.
and this will generate power while creating more jobs and encouraging people to lose weight because they can get paid for it.
its just a thought
Original post by jfranks

so why not employ people to use exercise bikes; as the wheels rotate on the bike it causes the magnet to rotate inside the generator.
and this will generate power while creating more jobs and encouraging people to lose weight because they can get paid for it.
its just a thought

That is a very good idea. I will email this to DVLA to let the government know about it.
Geothermal is pretty good, but you have to be careful how much energy you take out of the ground as you can end up freezing the ground if you take too much heat out. Its also quite dependant on your geographic location as some areas of the earth are hotter than others.
Wind turbines make a lot of noise, take up a lot of space and don't really look that nice.

Cars take up space, don't look nice and make a lot of noise thus cars should be illegal.
Original post by internetguru
Cars take up space, don't look nice and make a lot of noise thus cars should be illegal.

But cars do not disrupt the nice scenery in England so if they don't look nice, who cares. Cars also have roads made for them so the are not taking up space. I live in London and I have never felt that noise was a big problem, nor was it a small problem. Cars cause pollution which is the only negative I see... And wind turbines need to placed in massive fields.
"To obtain 10% of our electricity from the wind would require constructing around 12,000 mega wind turbines of wind energy capacity" - And that is just 10%. If wind turbines were the future, then we would need 120,000 mega wind turbines to give the energy the UK needs. This is not considering the fact that in the future we may be more reliant on energy thus we may need more energy therefore we may need more 120,000 mega wind turbines.

The future is nuclear in my opinion. They create a lot of energy within a single kilogram but they aren't being used correctly by some countries (Iran!)
But cars do not disrupt the nice scenery in England so if they don't look nice, who cares. Cars also have roads made for them so the are not taking up space. I live in London and I have never felt that noise was a big problem, nor was it a small problem. Cars cause pollution which is the only negative I see... And wind turbines need to placed in massive fields.
"To obtain 10% of our electricity from the wind would require constructing around 12,000 mega wind turbines of wind energy capacity" - And that is just 10%. If wind turbines were the future, then we would need 120,000 mega wind turbines to give the energy the UK needs. This is not considering the fact that in the future we may be more reliant on energy thus we may need more energy therefore we may need more 120,000 mega wind turbines.

The future is nuclear in my opinion. They create a lot of energy within a single kilogram but they aren't being used correctly by some countries (Iran!)

I don't want wind power but I'm just saying that it is a ridiculous myth that they are really loud or that they look ugly. I think they look fine they are just wind turbines. Also nuclear can only be the short term future as it is not renewable.
Reply 32
Original post by jfranks

its just a thought

Charlie Brooker already came up with this idea :wink:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/black-mirror/4od#3327867
Original post by Daniel_R
Rubbish

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300

Not at all, I've just finished a module on renewable energy, if you take more heat out of the ground then the sun can put into it the ground WILL freeze and then you can get nothing from it at all.
Y Not This?

[video="youtube;qmCu1WC7uts"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmCu1WC7uts&list=UUk4V_DncYmu-u7l-1HfGUxg&index=8&feature=plcp[/video]

Got Problem?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by theyorkshiretyke
Not at all, I've just finished a module on renewable energy, if you take more heat out of the ground then the sun can put into it the ground WILL freeze and then you can get nothing from it at all.

I thought the heat came from the planets crust? Maybe im wrong then..
Need a mix. Not rocket science.
Reply 37
This probably is going to sound dumb, but why can't we carry on mining coal (which will create jobs in this climate) and then store the by products underground a la land fill site, because technically the carbon there in millions of years will turn into diamonds - sustainability bitches! :P
Original post by Daniel_R
I thought the heat came from the planets crust? Maybe im wrong then..

There are different types, the one i was meaning is more of a per household basis and isn't used directly for electricity production its used for heating of the home (Still saves energy).

Geothermal when you dig deep enough yeah its brilliant, there are solutions to all the energy problems its just getting governments to splash out on the schemes rather then spending money on stupid stuff.
Reply 39
Original post by theyorkshiretyke
There are different types, the one i was meaning is more of a per household basis and isn't used directly for electricity production its used for heating of the home (Still saves energy).

Geothermal when you dig deep enough yeah its brilliant, there are solutions to all the energy problems its just getting governments to splash out on the schemes rather then spending money on stupid stuff.

Al right I didn't know that :tongue:

Binary cycle geothermal plants look promising

Also

Thorium reactors are a good alternative to Nuclear reactors.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending