The Student Room Group

Does car insurance go down after a year?

I’m so stupid when it comes to this stuff. I had a minor car accident 1 month before I got off my R plates (unlucky). I understand my insurance will go up now. But will it go down again after another year providing there’s no issues?
Reply 1
It should do if you can drive accident free for 12 months. These days the UK insurance companies chance their luck
(& profits) and keep putting the premiums up regardless. Somewhere the customer provider trust ethos got lost in fraud and ruthless profit margins.

Shop around and look for the best customer care as well as the premiums. Know what is your best price and look at all the hidden charges (alteration fees, cancellation fees, customer care, human contact etc) Sadly the only way of finding what is good customer care is when you crash. Up to that point the insurance company wants your money and are wonderfully compliant (at a price) and good.

Try at the end of a week, a Sunday, a month end, midnight to see if on insurance search engines you can get the best quotes. Also try to renew at least three weeks prior to the insurance running out. If you leave it till the day before you are deemed 'high risk' and the premiums rocket.

Funny old world in the ruthless insurance world of profiteering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending