The Student Room Group

Cambridge Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emma Yan
Hi,I want to apply to this course next year and is this course in St. John's very competitive? I heard that they only gave offer to 1 student out of 15 last year...

Probably your best bet is to look at the statistics - you can see breakdowns of applications:redface:ffers:tongue:ool etc
Original post by Bright_blonde
Probably your best bet is to look at the statistics - you can see breakdowns of applications:offers:pool etc

Thanks, but somehow these days I cannot see the statistics no the website... It is only me or do any other of you experienced the some problem?
Hi all!

Could you tell me, please what it is like to study psychology at Cambridge (as Psychological and Behavioural sceinces) and UCL? Do students have to study mathematics and other science subjects like chemistry and/or physics? Do they take LSAT tests and other analytical reasoning and logical reasoning tests? I am an international student, and I have never studied psychology before.
(Are modules in computer science compulsory?) I prefer a course which is not combined with natural sciences.

Thank you.
Hey, I've moved this to the Cambridge section for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Hey, I've moved this to the Cambridge section for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do apologize if I posted it in the wrong section. (I am a new user)Thank you.
Original post by Evelyn Evans
I do apologize if I posted it in the wrong section. (I am a new user)Thank you.

No worries at all :biggrin: you're welcome :smile: I'd recommend posting it in the UCL section too :h:
Original post by Changing Skies
No worries at all :biggrin: you're welcome :smile: I'd recommend posting it in the UCL section too :h:

I posted it, but it disappeared:s-smilie:
I posted it, but it disappeared:s-smilie:

Is it not this one? :h:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2725769

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! :smile: Looks like a post needs time to show up:colondollar:
Hi all!

Could you tell me, please what it is like to study psychology at Cambridge (as Psychological and Behavioural sceinces) and UCL? Do students have to study mathematics and other science subjects like chemistry and/or physics? Do they take LSAT tests and other analytical reasoning and logical reasoning tests? I am an international student, and I have never studied psychology before.
(Are modules in computer science compulsory?) I prefer a course which is not combined with natural sciences.

Thank you.

Hi there! I'm a PBS student that has been through the first year in Cambridge. :smile: It would be beneficial if you take A level statistics because most of the statistics we learn is a revision of that, with only a little bit of new material. However because the maths portion of the second PBS paper is not so much, you can get away with not having learnt that stuff before. However the pace of the lectures can be quite fast if you're not mathematically inclined, so it would be best to have done some maths before.

Chemistry and physics are definitely not needed. Biology though is very beneficial (again it has to do with the second PBS paper). It would help you immensely if you had biology, especially since you mention that you haven't taken psychology as an A level (I hadn't either!). But I understand that some students taking the course aren't scientifically inclined, so the only way you could get around it is to have basic GCSE knowledge at least.

They understand that people come from a lot of different backgrounds. There are some courses that are linked to the HSPS tripos if you don't want to do natural science papers. Social anthropology, biological anthropology, or archaeology are three very popular papers that people take and as far as I know, you don't need any prior experience with these subjects as they start totally from scratch.

For most colleges, you'll have to send in an essay. But because you don't do psychology, it would be best to apply to a college that requires interview only, like I did.

Computer science is an optional paper and I was the one unfortunate to choose it. Don't take it. Just don't. It's the hardest paper one has to do in this course and it all fell apart pretty quickly. :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nickyr212
Hi there! I'm a PBS student that has been through the first year in Cambridge. :smile: It would be beneficial if you take A level statistics because most of the statistics we learn is a revision of that, with only a little bit of new material. However because the maths portion of the second PBS paper is not so much, you can get away with not having learnt that stuff before. However the pace of the lectures can be quite fast if you're not mathematically inclined, so it would be best to have done some maths before.

Chemistry and physics are definitely not needed. Biology though is very beneficial (again it has to do with the second PBS paper). It would help you immensely if you had biology, especially since you mention that you haven't taken psychology as an A level (I hadn't either!). But I understand that some students taking the course aren't scientifically inclined, so the only way you could get around it is to have basic GCSE knowledge at least.

They understand that people come from a lot of different backgrounds. There are some courses that are linked to the HSPS tripos if you don't want to do natural science papers. Social anthropology, biological anthropology, or archaeology are three very popular papers that people take and as far as I know, you don't need any prior experience with these subjects as they start totally from scratch.

For most colleges, you'll have to send in an essay. But because you don't do psychology, it would be best to apply to a college that requires interview only, like I did.

Computer science is an optional paper and I was the one unfortunate to choose it. Don't take it. Just don't. It's the hardest paper one has to do in this course and it all fell apart pretty quickly. :P

I wish i did the computer science paper (from PPS rather than PBS). I know i would have got a third in it, but in the end it woudn't really matter, learning programming is very useful for psychology. Did you learn anything from it in the end (even if it was hard)?
Original post by iammichealjackson
I wish i did the computer science paper (from PPS rather than PBS). I know i would have got a third in it, but in the end it woudn't really matter, learning programming is very useful for psychology. Did you learn anything from it in the end (even if it was hard)?

I certainly learned a lot of stuff, it was awesome to gain programming skills (even if I'm still bad at it) and know the idea behind several algorithms, but I don't necessarily think that it would be useful for psychology specifically, at least with the stuff we learned in the first year. It's still a very risky paper to take, people can't predict whether they will pass the paper. You can very easily just read the textbooks that they recommend without having to take the paper and you'll learn the information at your own pace. The lectures don't make sense and the books will explain all their points much easier and more thoroughly. :smile:
I certainly learned a lot of stuff, it was awesome to gain programming skills (even if I'm still bad at it) and know the idea behind several algorithms, but I don't necessarily think that it would be useful for psychology specifically, at least with the stuff we learned in the first year. It's still a very risky paper to take, people can't predict whether they will pass the paper. You can very easily just read the textbooks that they recommend without having to take the paper and you'll learn the information at your own pace. The lectures don't make sense and the books will explain all their points much easier and more thoroughly. :smile:

Ah okay. I used some programming for my third year dissertation and it was really useful, and its a useful skill to learn for the future, although for psychology MATLAB i think is the one to learn...

Compsci is quite harshly marked anyway, about a third of compscs people get 2.2s thirds anyway, let alone PBS people who take the course! I think a third in compsci is better than a first in the education paper anyways- i don't know if they still offer it to PBS people but that was an ACTUAL waste of time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iammichealjackson
Ah okay. I used some programming for my third year dissertation and it was really useful, and its a useful skill to learn for the future, although for psychology MATLAB i think is the one to learn...

Compsci is quite harshly marked anyway, about a third of compscs people get 2.2s thirds anyway, let alone PBS people who take the course! I think a third in compsci is better than a first in the education paper anyways- i don't know if they still offer it to PBS people but that was an ACTUAL waste of time.

What was your dissertation about? :smile: I didn't get to learn MATLAB, I'm really gutted. The NatScis tell me that it's absolutely horrible but I've always been curious to try it!

Haha yup, they still have the education paper, and my friend who took it told me exactly the same thing. She said it was absolutely ridiculous, so I see your point. :P I don't think they're getting rid of the paper any time soon - there are people who still want to take it.
What was your dissertation about? :smile: I didn't get to learn MATLAB, I'm really gutted. The NatScis tell me that it's absolutely horrible but I've always been curious to try it!

Haha yup, they still have the education paper, and my friend who took it told me exactly the same thing. She said it was absolutely ridiculous, so I see your point. :P I don't think they're getting rid of the paper any time soon - there are people who still want to take it.

Well, they should get rid of the education module, as its just a waste of everyone's time. I would have been more annoyed if the other modules weren't really good!

Yeh, well ive applied for two masters, and just looking at the syllabuses one needs MATLAB for analysis of neuroimaging data, the other for making models of evolutionary pressures, so it seems quite widely used! I only used visual basic for applications for managing/analysing data on loads of excel files quickly, nothing particularly fancy! It was on parenting.
(edited 9 years ago)

Can I just ask in what way the Education paper is ridiculous? The content or teaching or something else?
Original post by Bright_blonde
Can I just ask in what way the Education paper is ridiculous? The content or teaching or something else?

You should ask iammichaeljackson about it, since I haven't taken the paper, but I heard it's the content - mainly that they don't teach anything useful or interesting.
Hey there! I'm an IB student looking to apply to the 2015 PBS course, but I don't have Biology or Maths as higher levels :frown: I know they don't specify any essential subjects but they seem to be pretty important, so am I at quite a disadvantage?
For PBS do they look at your 3 best or 3 most relevant subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you need to have formal work experience to study PBS? (I know this has possibly been answered somewhere but I'm asking specifically for this uni :smile: ) Where I live it's pretty hard to get that kind of relevant work experience, would other students with such experience be favoured?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending