The Student Room Group

Are these a good combo of A Levels?

Hi everyone, I'm a little unsure about these options, could any shed some light on their opinion of them and whether I could handle them? I'm a mid to high A grade student to low to mid A* student (hard to discern as of yet :P)

They are: Maths, Physics, English and History

P.S. does anyone know some good textbooks for them?

Thanks in advance.
What field would you like to go in when you are older? Your subject combo seems good as maths and physics together speaks for themselves. Do you want to down the science route or...?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App.
Reply 2
They seem like a really strong combo as you have each of the core subjects plus history which is highly regarded. For things like revision the revision guides recommended by the exam boards are your best bet as they are guranteed to contain everything you need for the exams, for text books for wider reading etc you probably won't know until you start the course to be honest. Being a high grade A student then you will have no problem studying those subjects as long as you put the time into each of them and revise everything you won't have any problems.
Yes; they're very strong traditional subjects and keep your options wide open. I did similar A-levels (Chemistry instead of Physics, English Lit instead of Lang) and I changed my mind so much as to what I wanted to do at university, but that combo allowed me to change my mind (I ended up choosing Law).

Although, if you know for certain what you want to do at university/post A-levels, then check if you need any specific subjects that you are missing. Also, do not take any if you know you are not interested in them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
What field would you like to go in when you are older? Your subject combo seems good as maths and physics together speaks for themselves. Do you want to down the science route or...?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App.

I think I want to do Engineering/CompSci or something a bit more wordy if you get me, English is a passion of mine..
You mentioned the recommendation of textbooks?

I taught myself maths and I CANNOT STRONGLY ENOUGH RECOMMEND these textbooks, they have no waffle and loads of good practice questions!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Mathematics-C1-David-Rayner/dp/1902214455/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344163980&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Mathematics-C3-David-Rayner/dp/1902214463/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

I used MyMaths for S1 and M1 but be warned that for all of the above you must check that it completely fits your specification. The MyMaths for S1 didn't teach me standard deviation how my board wanted it. For C4 there were a couple of things that the book didn't have (but this was just for MEI) and there is no proof for C1.

I think the MEI books are shocking. I had one for M1 and I used about three times... It's too hard, and the explanations are too long winded and obtuse in my opinion.
CGP and Letts tend to be good
You have a good mix there- it leaves open most degree courses.

Although English lit is so much more fun than English language :P
someones already recommended good books for maths

I highly recommend these collins study guides to aid your revision for physics

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Support-Materials-AQA-Electricity/dp/0007343833/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344177092&sr=1-9

Quick Reply

Latest