The Student Room Group

BBC Sports Persaonality of the Year...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
If Murray wins the US open, then I anticipate the three top being Wiggins=Mo, Murray. I think I slightly anticipate Wiggins to beat Mo, but wouldn't be surprised to see either top it. If Murray doesn't win the US, third becomes much harder. Probably Ennis, but might back Hoy.

Lifetime achievement, I'd back Hoy or Ainslie I think.
Reply 41
Original post by BolloTheGorilla
So many deserving candidates for this years award but Wiggo surely has to just pip the others. The first ever British rider to win the Tour de France and then go onto win Olympic gold in the time trial only a week later, and not only winning but easily smashing the time of other competitors. He is a real character too and will continue to be a great ambassador for the sport for decades to come.

My punt at the top three:
1. Bradley Wiggins
2. Mo Farah
3. Jessica Ennis

This, 100%.
'sgotta be Farah!
Reply 43
Chris hoy, Katherine Jenkins , Victoria Pendleton

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 44
Wiggins is definitely it for me! First Brit to win TdF, done it with a day ride left, helped Cav to final stage win, raced his legs out to help Cav again a week later, and 4 days later wins Olympic Gold!! Gotta be Wiggo. Followed by Ennis and Ainslie.

Reply 45
Original post by Slumpy
If Murray wins the US open, then I anticipate the three top being Wiggins=Mo, Murray. I think I slightly anticipate Wiggins to beat Mo, but wouldn't be surprised to see either top it. If Murray doesn't win the US, third becomes much harder. Probably Ennis, but might back Hoy.

Lifetime achievement, I'd back Hoy or Ainslie I think.

If Murray wins the US Open, I think he would win outright, we haven't won a singles grand slam since Sue Barker, and Murray will have to go through djok/fed/nadal . Its not going to happen, but if it does, Murray will be the King.
Reply 46
Bookies odds are here: http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/awards/sports-personality-of-the-year/sports-personality-of-the-year/winner

IMO Wiggins should get it based on achievements but bear in mind Mark Cavendish won it last year - will the judges think cycling is being over-represented?

Mo should be second but if Andy Murray wins the US open then this will throw the contest wide open.
Reply 47
https://www.facebook.com/TeamGbForSportsPersonality2012?ref=hl Guys, what about the whole team- voting Team GB for the Sports Personality Of The Year 2012. This is a unique year- and the whole Olympic team have performed with such a great degree of success that I think, for this year only- the whole team should be nominated. What do you think?
Reply 48
Original post by anon1212
If Murray wins the US Open, I think he would win outright, we haven't won a singles grand slam since Sue Barker, and Murray will have to go through djok/fed/nadal . Its not going to happen, but if it does, Murray will be the King.

But we've never had a TdF winner, and no 10k winner in like, 100 years I think it was. And Wiggins was briefly our most decorated olympian too. Though I suspect tennis is more in the public consciousness, and perhaps with the timing, if he won, he'd be a strong contender.
I could see him winning the US though tbh, given how much better he's tended to do there than wimbledon, his olympics/first half of the wimbledon final performances, and Nadal (and to an extent, Djok)'s slump. Although Del Potro is also an outside bet there, and I think it'd be easier to gauge after Cincy.
Reply 49
It is really hard to choose who to win BBCSP but I think it will end up being Wiggo just simply because he won the TDF and got gold in the time trial at the olympics. There are so many candidates though; Mo, Pendelton, Hoy, Murray (maybe) and more
Reply 50
Wiggins probably. Certainly can't see any none Olympians being nominated.
Reply 51
Original post by Shouter
https://www.facebook.com/TeamGbForSportsPersonality2012?ref=hl Guys, what about the whole team- voting Team GB for the Sports Personality Of The Year 2012. This is a unique year- and the whole Olympic team have performed with such a great degree of success that I think, for this year only- the whole team should be nominated. What do you think?

I would imagine they would get team of the year but even then I would say they might be two big a team to win it. More likley to be the Team GB cycling team or somethhing similar.
If its Murray I'll scream! Personality wise, he's not the most likeable!

Definitely agree that "Team GB" should win the team award as who else can you give it to?!

My vote would be for Wiggo I think. A much as I love Jess, there is time for her to do greater things. But the Tour de France and an Olympic gold within weeks of each other is just in incredible. Any other year and Mo would have done enough, but with so many contenders someone has to come second by a whisker and I think it may be him.

Quick Reply

Latest