The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

is Northumbria classed as a "top university"

I am interested in applying there next year! I just wanted to know the reputation it has! also is it a poly?
I mean in regards to other russell group uni's? would you class Northumbria as a good one?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Simple answer: No

but as long as you like it there, you should apply.
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
No.
Reply 3
This doesn't seem like a serious question.
No.
I've thought about it again and the answer is still no.
Reply 7
so why do people in my area act like it is? lol *confused face*
Reply 8
Original post by Maxiinee
I am interested in applying there next year! I just wanted to know the reputation it has! also is it a poly?
I mean in regards to other russell group uni's? would you class Northumbria as a good one?

Northumbria University is generally ranked 50th to 60th in the UK.
Reply 9
so why do people in my area act like it is? lol *confused face*

what is the area? if it is something like sports science than northumbria may well be a top uni. if it is history or english, less so.

it is not a poly (they haven't existed for years) but it used to be.
Reply 10
For certain subjects it is up there. Im doing building surveying, which isn't offered by many non ex polys, so for me it's a very good university to be at for this subject.

For something like maths or english i wouldn't say its anywhere near top.
It probably depends on the faculty, as some departments may be better or worse (in terms of ranking) than others.

But overall, no. :redface:

But (again :tongue:) if they offer a course you really want to do, go for it :yy:
Reply 12
no
Actually Unis in the region of 40 to 60s can enter the top 30 by catering to the ranking tables such as improving student satisfaction e.g Anglia Ruskin was at one point 34th

Newcastle University is the Russel Group university in Newcsatle.
Reply 15
I think people in my area think its a good uni because its in newcastle
Why does everyone focus on rank of unis? If you like it then go for it, i went to look around exeter and birmingham which are russel groups and i didnt like the feel or makeup of the course. you should focus on personal preference.
Reply 17

What do you mean, "other Russell Group unis"? Northumbria isn't in the Russell Group (the University of Newcastle is, however).

It is a former polytechnic. It isn't still a polytechnic as the polytechnics gained university status (degree awarding powers) in 1992 so they don't exist anymore as polytechnics.

It is not a "top university" in terms of league table rankings, often ranking in the middle of tables, below Russell and 1994 Group universities but it is one of the stronger former polytechnics. As with any multi-faculty university it does have its strengths, however, and is quite strong in areas like law and fashion. It was the first (and still might be the only) university to offer an LPC/BVC Legal Practice Course for those training to be solicitors, bar vocational course for those training to be barristers) exempting law degree, for example, and its law school is the only one in the region to offer either the LPC or BVC.
Reply 18
I think people in my area think its a good uni because its in newcastle

It is a good uni, it's just not a top uni. If you mean they mistake it for Newcastle University then yes they are thinking of the wrong uni, if you mean you live near Newcastle then you may be hearing it's good because it's one of the stronger ex-poly unis and is being recommended as a good local uni.
hey for ranking i think it might not the very top one but in my heart it is always no.1 choice!
I have studied here for 2 years and graduated last month going to start my postgrad next month. overall experience in northumbria is GRADE A. unlike the other similar ranking universities northumbria provides quality teaching, very helpful lecturers, facilities in campus are good.
and Newcastle is so fun you would never want to leave!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending