The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadab786ahmed
Aaah, we do it all one one night! We even have the:
Best asylum seeker award... That's just so bad!!!! :eek: and best work experience placement :redface: and then academic excellence etc.. :tongue: all one a long night!
I love it though :biggrin: then all the year elevens (so me next year) get certificates and cheers for your grades!! :woo: kinda sly though... If you're not popular you don't get cheers... Thank god I've made an eclectic range of friends :tongue:

I haven't been to a prizegiving in 3 years :emo: I used to always get awards in english though :yep:
Original post by MangoFreak
My school had this great thing each full term in which your house points were collected and placed into a box, and drawn out at random, in a raffle. If your name was called you got a prize :awesome: I won something every single term :biggrin: It wasn't difficult really :ahee:

Only my Primary school had houses, I was House Captain of St Georges! (Gryffindor) but now my secondary school has colleges, we don't even get points damn
Aaah, we do it all one one night! We even have the:
Best asylum seeker award... That's just so bad!!!! :eek: and best work experience placement :redface: and then academic excellence etc.. :tongue: all one a long night!
I love it though :biggrin: then all the year elevens (so me next year) get certificates and cheers for your grades!! :woo: kinda sly though... If you're not popular you don't get cheers... Thank god I've made an eclectic range of friends :tongue:

Hahaha Best Asylum Seeker, that's just too much. My school's subject specific awards was invite-only and done with the school sponsors, those who haven't won an award haven't even heard of it's existence haha. I don't know why my school does it like that though.
Original post by Kittaaaaay
I haven't been to a prizegiving in 3 years :emo: I used to always get awards in english though :yep:

So awesome! That'll be something to look forward to in September :biggrin:

Original post by dinrah04
Hahaha Best Asylum Seeker, that's just too much. My school's subject specific awards was invite-only and done with the school sponsors, those who haven't won an award haven't even heard of it's existence haha. I don't know why my school does it like that though.

We invite the winners and then they can bring people to celebrate :smile: and it is... It's so awkward... :frown:
We get sponsors and they presented the awards :biggrin:

My current school does it like this too, but they invite all the nominees. And guess what? You have to freaking pay to attend your own damn prizegiving! It was like £20 to attend and you weren't even guaranteed an award.

My current school does it like this too, but they invite all the nominees. And guess what? You have to freaking pay to attend your own damn prizegiving! It was like £20 to attend and you weren't even guaranteed an award.

Damn that just sucks, I'd rather not go and just get it given to me the next day:/ My school didn't even have nominees we got a little booklet with the people who were getting the awards, and the list of times everyone would go up. One kid kept going up for just about every single award, those £50s were really adding up.

Nice. I can tell your school is exemplary :rofl:
Damn that just sucks, I'd rather not go and just get it given to me the next day:/ My school didn't even have nominees we got a little booklet with the people who were getting the awards, and the list of times everyone would go up. One kid kept going up for just about every single award, those £50s were really adding up.

We had a rehersal for our awards ceremonies at the end of the year :awesome: The whole year would come down to the hall during lessons and be told not to be asshats in front of parents and governors, then sent away, before we were sat at the front, in order of our awards, and practised the acceptance with a deputy head (the governor would do it on the day). When we had multiple awards it got confusing though :tongue: We were expected to be waiting at the edge of the stage by the time we were called :h: So once we had our first award, we would sit at the back of the group and wait for the spot in which we needed to be next to open up :biggrin:
Nice. I can tell your school is exemplary :rofl:

Haha, can't do much about it to be honest, all schools in this damn country are like that - money making corporations.
Haha, can't do much about it to be honest, all schools in this damn country are like that - money making corporations.

All the schools to which I've been haven't been like that at all :dontknow: I'm fairly certain it's illegal for state schools to make profit; only take money for costs.

Nevermind forgot you were in Thailand :tongue:
:woo: we dont have rehearsals... We have a list of awards and winners... And go up when we hear our names! :tongue:
All the schools to which I've been haven't been like that at all :dontknow: I'm fairly certain it's illegal for state schools to make profit; only take money for costs.

Nevermind forgot you were in Thailand :tongue:

Yesss, ahaha. MASSIVE change from going to a grammar school that I never ever had to pay for to this overpriced private school that barely offers anything. :erm:
I wonder if there is a grammar school in Cardiff.. Hmmm...
I wonder if there is a grammar school in Cardiff.. Hmmm...

surely there has to be one,in such a huge city:confused:
Original post by Dalek1099

Grammar schools aren't commonplace anymore. There are only like 100 left in the country.
Original post by Dalek1099

I don't think there is... And it's not that big :wink:
Yesss, ahaha. MASSIVE change from going to a grammar school that I never ever had to pay for to this overpriced private school that barely offers anything. :erm:

I take it you don't go here:

(I know it's in Singapore, but still :ahee:)
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Yo. Long time no see! Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do :tongue:

But why the **** am I in the Spanish section of the box? I don't even take Spanish! :lol:

What exams did you take,this June?I haven't seen you for ages-I think I may have the best results yet this August,I'm hoping for A*s all around but I would be so disappointed if my A* in English Language got moderated down and I haven't spent enough time on this new thread yet,I'm way down the posting leaderboard.I'm also extremely nervous to find out whether I have aced Science or failed again.To add to this,does anyone know any pure maths jobs? because I'm struggling to work out what job I want but I know I want a pure maths job,after graduating with a maths degree.
(edited 11 years ago)
Grammar schools aren't commonplace anymore. There are only like 100 left in the country.

Isn't a grammar school the same as a private school though or are they completely different school types?-please explain the difference,if they are indeed different because I always thought they were synonyms of each other.
I take it you don't go here:

(I know it's in Singapore, but still :ahee:)

Nah, the buildings here look heaps cooler ;D
We don't have a pool though, we use the one at the golf course that we're in haha.

Oh god, one thing I hate about here though, there are so many lizards and snakes! I swear like the first week I started here I saw a snake .. And then we had a fire drill in term two and when I was lining up one of the teachers nudged me and pointed out the snake slithering up the tree next to me. I almost freaking died. Doesn't help that whenever a science teacher finds a snake they put it in a tank at the entrance of the science block for a week so students can study it .. I always have to shut my eyes and hope I don't bang into anything haha.

Latest