The Student Room Group

A level Biology

Hi all, I have recently gone back to my old school's 6th form and am doing a completely different exam board for biology i went from AQA to Edexcel A. Anyone taking Edexcel A has any advice? Is it super hard? How do I make sure I get an A in AS btw I have full support from my school they're helping me in every way possible. Thank you
Original post by CJ9
Hi all, I have recently gone back to my old school's 6th form and am doing a completely different exam board for biology i went from AQA to Edexcel A. Anyone taking Edexcel A has any advice? Is it super hard? How do I make sure I get an A in AS btw I have full support from my school they're helping me in every way possible. Thank you

Hi! I’m in year 13 and studying biology Edexcel A !
Compared to other exam boards Edexcel is known to be harsher with marking as you must know the biology mark scheme is a nightmare and the Edexcel mark scheme is super SPECIFIC and will make you scream and cry for the little marks that you missed out due to their wording. However the pros of Edexcel is their grade boundaries and they are known for being more lenient (lower grade boundaries) than other boards.

In terms of the actual content Edexcel A focuses on ecology so the environment plants etc and the first year ( year 12) focuses on basics that you need to know that build you for the harder but super interesting topics in year 13 such as forensics science and an overlap with psychology and how the brain works!

Biology is hard hard work but is super interesting! Physics and math tutor is ur best friend and the textbooks should be with you at all times and the flashcards are great for recall. Learn your definitions and create study groups! Break down the question and read carefully ! Good luck !
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by rrstar
Hi! I’m in year 13 and studying biology Edexcel A !
Compared to other exam boards Edexcel is known to be harsher with marking as you must know the biology mark scheme is a nightmare and the Edexcel mark scheme is super SPECIFIC and will make you scream and cry for the little marks that you missed out due to their wording. However the pros of Edexcel is their grade boundaries and they are known for being more lenient (lower grade boundaries) than other boards.

In terms of the actual content Edexcel A focuses on ecology so the environment plants etc and the first year ( year 12) focuses on basics that you need to know that build you for the harder but super interesting topics in year 13 such as forensics science and an overlap with psychology and how the brain works!

Biology is hard hard work but is super interesting! Physics and math tutor is ur best friend and the textbooks should be with you at all times and the flashcards are great for recall. Learn your definitions and create study groups! Break down the question and read carefully ! Good luck !

Thank you so much literally transferred with less than 3 months to AS I'm glad because I have friends in year 13 at my school to help me out and the fact that there's a lot of overlap with AQA 🙂 . would you recommend doing lots of past papers to get used to the specific mark scheme as you also recommended flashcards ? Have you also tried mind maps before? Thank you again have a good day
Original post by CJ9
Thank you so much literally transferred with less than 3 months to AS I'm glad because I have friends in year 13 at my school to help me out and the fact that there's a lot of overlap with AQA 🙂 . would you recommend doing lots of past papers to get used to the specific mark scheme as you also recommended flashcards ? Have you also tried mind maps before? Thank you again have a good day

Everyone learns differently. In year 12 I was getting a Us and managed to turn that around in one month to a B.

I strongly recommend past paper questions / topic questions because it will familiarise yourself with the mark scheme and when they are looking for and it gets repetitive to the point you will memorise what they ask asking for.

Biology has a LOT of content so flashcards are really important to help you o jog your memory on topics. I’m almost finishing year 13 so I’m doing the brain and stuff rn which is topic 8 the last one and I’ve nearly forgotten topic 1 from year 12 so using flashcards reminds me and then I can use past topic questions nd stuff.

My friends uses mind maps and it works for her. It doesn’t work for me. So if you mind maps works for you then you should use mind maps

Quick Reply

Latest