The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Robbie242
Only thing I don't understand now is how 3x-2nx=-11x why is it -11 I thought -6 would be a part of it.

No, -6 is where you got the 2 and -3 and the end of both factors.

See:

(x2)(2x2+nx+3)(x-2)(2x^2 + nx + 3)

=x(2x2+nx+3)2(2x2+nx+3)= x(2x^2 + nx + 3)-2(2x^2 + nx + 3)

=2x3+nx2+3x4x22nx6= 2x^3 + nx^2 + 3x - 4x^2 - 2nx -6

=2x3+nx24x2+3x2nx6= 2x^3 + nx^2 - 4x^2 + 3x - 2nx -6

=2x3+(n4)x2+(32n)x6= 2x^3 + (n - 4)x^2 + (3 - 2n)x -6

Referring to your original equation:

2x3+3x211x62x3+(n4)x2+(32n)x62x^3+3x^2-11x-6 \equiv 2x^3 + (n - 4)x^2 + (3 - 2n)x -6

So you could either use n-4=3 or 3-2n=-11
Original post by justinawe
No, -6 is where you got the 2 and -3 and the end of both factors.

See:

(x2)(2x2+nx+3)(x-2)(2x^2 + nx + 3)

=x(2x2+nx+3)2(2x2+nx+3)= x(2x^2 + nx + 3)-2(2x^2 + nx + 3)

=2x3+nx2+3x4x22nx6= 2x^3 + nx^2 + 3x - 4x^2 - 2nx -6

=2x3+nx24x2+3x2nx6= 2x^3 + nx^2 - 4x^2 + 3x - 2nx -6

=2x3+(n4)x2+(32n)x6= 2x^3 + (n - 4)x^2 + (3 - 2n)x -6

Referring to your original equation:

2x3+3x211x62x3+(n4)x2+(32n)x62x^3+3x^2-11x-6 \equiv 2x^3 + (n - 4)x^2 + (3 - 2n)x -6

So you could either use n-4=3 or 3-2n=-11
Oh so I can choose them in the equation say for this equation x^3-3x^2+3x-1 for my nx factor I can choose 3x= x-nx is that true for most questions in c2?
Oh so I can choose them in the equation say for this equation x^3-3x^2+3x-1 for my nx factor I can choose 3x= x-nx is that true for most questions in c2?

Yes, that'll work for factorising any cubic equation.
Yes, that'll work for factorising any cubic equation.
Getting extremely frustrated with this equation x3x23x+3=0x^3-x^2-3x+3=0 so far I found out that the coefficients add up to make 0 so (x1)(x-1) is a factor then I have(x1)(x2+nx3) (x-1)(x^2+nx-3) the problem is my equation

x(x2+nx3)1(x2+nx3)x(x^2+nx-3) -1(x^2+nx-3)

so 3x1nx=3x-3x-1nx=-3x but the x's cancel out help!
Getting extremely frustrated with this equation x3x23x+3=0x^3-x^2-3x+3=0 so far I found out that the coefficients add up to make 0 so (x1)(x-1) is a factor then I have(x1)(x2+nx3) (x-1)(x^2+nx-3) the problem is my equation

x(x2+nx3)1(x2+nx3)x(x^2+nx-3) -1(x^2+nx-3)

so 3x1nx=3x-3x-1nx=-3x but the x's cancel out help!

Divide both sides by x

-3-1n=-3

Alternatively, you could just cancel out the -3x on both sides of the equation, and divide the x from -1nx into the zero on the RHS.
Divide both sides by x

-3-1n=-3

Alternatively, you could just cancel out the -3x on both sides of the equation, and divide the x from -1nx into the zero on the RHS.
Solved it on another forum ages ago, I got to that stage and realized it is just 0 thanks anyway :smile:
Solved it on another forum ages ago, I got to that stage and realized it is just 0 thanks anyway :smile:

No problem, and sorry for the late reply :tongue:
No problem, and sorry for the late reply :tongue:
np's!
Reply 9508
Original post by CA$H KRAZE
yeah short sentences

I would say that they make the story more compelling and evokes tension since the sentences are short and the reader would read the sentences quicker to show the suddenness of what it going on in the story
Original post by Blueray2
lol i swear u used to have it, like rock and rose. something :tongue:

I did. I deleted it after a complete stranger verbally abused me over something, and I was so upset at the time, I deleted without thinking.

Thinking about setting up a new one though. Might do it now actually.
Reply 9510
Did my first chemistry past paper tonight and got 74% - not too bad to say we haven't finished learning everything yet. :')
Original post by Deziah
Did my first chemistry past paper tonight and got 74% - not too bad to say we haven't finished learning everything yet. :')

a B. Not too shabby on your first attempt. Congrats, I think I'll do that next week for every subject :eek: let's hope I'm revising efficiently
Reply 9512
Original post by mynameisntbobk
a B. Not too shabby on your first attempt. Congrats, I think I'll do that next week for every subject :eek: let's hope I'm revising efficiently

My first ever A-level past paper. :eek:
How are you revising for each subject? :')
Original post by Deziah
My first ever A-level past paper. :eek:
How are you revising for each subject? :')

Psychology, I'm just going over notes, going over textbook, proper understanding everything before I move on, ask people to ask me questions.

The rest I've started typing up notes so I can read it, as it'll be way more neat. Also hope to include photos and images
Reply 9514
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Psychology, I'm just going over notes, going over textbook, proper understanding everything before I move on, ask people to ask me questions.

The rest I've started typing up notes so I can read it, as it'll be way more neat. Also hope to include photos and images

I'm doing something similar for biology and chemistry. I'm writing up all my notes in different words and going through the specification. But I'm handwriting everything and my French teacher keeps giving me loads of work so it's going to take ages. I can't believe it's already time to start revising. :eek:
Original post by Deziah
I'm doing something similar for biology and chemistry. I'm writing up all my notes in different words and going through the specification. But I'm handwriting everything and my French teacher keeps giving me loads of work so it's going to take ages. I can't believe it's already time to start revising. :eek:

Ah right, yeah, I think its good to re write it to make sure its actively processed and rehearsed. Although, handwriting, you must have some neat writing.

Well, with French, I think its good to get those extra work, so there's extra teacher support, if you get me. They can tell you where you're going wrong, not that you are
Hey everyone, this is a question for everyone who does AQA Physics A.

What textbook do you use, and what is the best textbook to use in your opinion? Of course the CGP book is only a revision guide, but the examples in it are too simple (the mechanics questions aren't exam standard). The AQA endorsed book by Nelson Thornes covers everything but a few things have really annoyed me and kept me behind so far until I got learned it in M1 maths. The mechanics section is written stupidly, putting a prerequisite in learning their page on Trig. at the back of the book. Then the "worked example" is done fully algebraically and they don't actually answer any question in the "example".

Well then I have now understood the topics and can do the summary questions. But there are no answers for the exam style questions! If I use all of the online papers from the internet to weed out relevant questions now I'll have nothing to test myself with come exam time.
I'm not complaining just wondering if anyone does know of a better textbook. I wouldn't mind carrying on this way, but just in case there was a reasonably better resource I'd rather find out now than later.
Original post by PureMathsigma
Hey everyone, this is a question for everyone who does AQA Physics A.

What textbook do you use, and what is the best textbook to use in your opinion? Of course the CGP book is only a revision guide, but the examples in it are too simple (the mechanics questions aren't exam standard). The AQA endorsed book by Nelson Thornes covers everything but a few things have really annoyed me and kept me behind so far until I got learned it in M1 maths. The mechanics section is written stupidly, putting a prerequisite in learning their page on Trig. at the back of the book. Then the "worked example" is done fully algebraically and they don't actually answer any question in the "example".

Well then I have now understood the topics and can do the summary questions. But there are no answers for the exam style questions! If I use all of the online papers from the internet to weed out relevant questions now I'll have nothing to test myself with come exam time.
I'm not complaining just wondering if anyone does know of a better textbook. I wouldn't mind carrying on this way, but just in case there was a reasonably better resource I'd rather find out now than later.

Hi! I also do AQA Physics A, and while I can't help you by offering another textbook (I personally haven't found any problems with it, but we've barely covered half the unit :mad:) I do have the answers to the Exam-style questions, if you'd like them? I'm not entirely sure how to get them to you though :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Had to contend with a firework maniac at 3am, he finally stopped though heres hoping he doesn't do it on a sunday night.
Original post by ethery
Hi! I also do AQA Physics A, and while I can't help you by offering another textbook (I personally haven't found any problems with it, but we've barely covered half the unit :mad:) I do have the answers to the Exam-style questions, if you'd like them? I'm not entirely sure how to get them to you though :tongue:

YES! I'll private message you telling you how you can send them to me, just reply here first and tell me in what format you have the answers Like PDF or are they written or just plain text?.. in any case this would make that book a lot better.

And don't worry, I haven't done anywhere near half the unit either. But for example look on pages 94 and 95, they are pathetic. And the summary questions are really easy but still Worked Example 1 is supposed to be an example of a question, but it just states a situation then randomly resolves forces and gives no numerical value to anything at all.

Latest