The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deziah
Everyone got what they need for college/sixth form? :-)

Just got back from stationary shopping, a long grueling, drawn out process where I drag my mum through every aisle of staples, paperchase, WHsmith, Rymans and wilkos in search of the best deals, thickest paper, perfect pens and generally the most beautiful stationary. I love it, spent £30 on stationary stuffs, I really love the Oxford campus notebook/project book range! The paper is so thick and perfect AND it's £5 everywhere except staples (£3= Bargain!) I got two project books that each have four sections- perfect fit for my four subjects! And their campus A4 notebook- fantastic steal at £2!!!! In a glossy red, blue and pink. MMMmm the paper is so niice. I got a couple of simple staples pads of paper for only 50 pence! *gasps* Sorry to go on, but staples has some fab deals!
Although I love thee paperchase, thoust shalt suck my purse dry :frown: I only bought a couple of novely items (pig shaped sharpener, smelly pencil) and a gorgeous Journal. I'm such a stationary whore that I even got my school bag from Paperchase :biggrin:
Rymans had a buy 1 get 1 free offer on their pilot erasable pens! AND I got these awesome element rubbers (not fire, water, earth- Helium, oxygen ect..) it has the atomic number, symbol and so on written on them! I got 5 at 40p each!
Internet cookie to whomever can tell me the names
-Ag
-C
-He
-O
-As
You guys SHOULD know them :smile:
Wilkos is also da bomb for the purchase of cheap and plentiful folders.
I got my clothes sorted, mostly consisting of t-shirts with punny puns on them or references to stupid stuff (Bazinga! TBBT is NOT stupid, keep calm and don't blink) 'cos I'm a total dork and didn't get a pauls boutique bag, a new blackberry and creepers like all my friends, which I suppose I'll regret...
Man, I can talk (type) a lot, sorry to bombard you with words like this...but you did ask :smile:
I don't have my educational books as of yet because I want to get the teacher recommended ones, but I'm pretty much sorted! Even got some vanilla perfume and some perfume that smells like a new book for all those book worms out there. And new glasses (they're red, very cheerful, makes me smile, completely necessary) aaaaand, I'm still talking, I should really sto-
Original post by justanotherindigo
:biggrin:

Same! I'm writing a list of books that I need to buy/ ringbinders with dividers like you showed me :smile: plus new stationary! But one textbook costs 30 pounds! :eek: but the rest are at a reasonable price so I'm not too worried!
I know..it's so annoying! Everything these days is just so tiny and way too expensive :frown: How were your results? :wink: I'm positive that you've done really well! and ohh..on the topic...I'm not doing both chemistry and maths for a-level anymore so I swapped it for History :wink:
:eek: Does your college not provide you with textbooks? It's a bit harsh, I hope it's not like that where I'm going! At least the rest are well priced. :yep:

The expense is really ridiculous, I'm not paying £40 for a bag. :colonhash:

I'm really happy with my results thanks, 7A*s and 4.5As. How did you do? :smile:

(I'll edit the OP for you now, which subject aren't you doing?)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by iwishtheskywaspink

-Ag
-C
-He
-O
-As

-Ag - Silver
-C - Carbon
-He - Helium
-O - Oxygen
-As - Arsenic
Original post by Pandora.
:eek: Does your college not provide you with textbooks? It's a bit harsh, I hope it's not like that where I'm going! At least the rest are well priced. :yep:

The expense is really ridiculous, I'm not paying £40 for a bag. :colonhash:

I'm really happy with my results thanks, 7A*s and 4.5As. How did you do? :smile:

(I'll edit the OP for you now, which subject aren't you doing?)

Nope..we need to get it all ourselves!
It really is..I don't know why though...it's really annoying!

Well done! I got 100% A*-B grades so I'm really pleased too with 100% in English Literature :dance: I couldn't believe it..but at least you did amazing in maths! I got a B in maths but I'm still really happy about it! :wink:
I'm not doing chemistry and maths..I'm doing history :smile:
Original post by justanotherindigo
Nope..we need to get it all ourselves!
It really is..I don't know why though...it's really annoying!

Well done! I got 100% A*-B grades so I'm really pleased too with 100% in English Literature :dance: I couldn't believe it..but at least you did amazing in maths! I got a B in maths but I'm still really happy about it! :wink:
I'm not doing chemistry and maths..I'm doing history :smile:
:eek: That's weird! Well at least you won't have to worry about them getting one copy short and you having to go without :biggrin:

Brilliant stuff, well done! :biggrin: I'm glad you're happy! :awesome:

Ah right, edited. :smile:
Reply 1625
Original post by iwishtheskywaspink
Just got back from stationary shopping, a long grueling, drawn out process where I drag my mum through every aisle of staples, paperchase, WHsmith, Rymans and wilkos in search of the best deals, thickest paper, perfect pens and generally the most beautiful stationary. I love it, spent £30 on stationary stuffs, I really love the Oxford campus notebook/project book range! The paper is so thick and perfect AND it's £5 everywhere except staples (£3= Bargain!) I got two project books that each have four sections- perfect fit for my four subjects! And their campus A4 notebook- fantastic steal at £2!!!! In a glossy red, blue and pink. MMMmm the paper is so niice. I got a couple of simple staples pads of paper for only 50 pence! *gasps* Sorry to go on, but staples has some fab deals!
Although I love thee paperchase, thoust shalt suck my purse dry :frown: I only bought a couple of novely items (pig shaped sharpener, smelly pencil) and a gorgeous Journal. I'm such a stationary whore that I even got my school bag from Paperchase :biggrin:
Rymans had a buy 1 get 1 free offer on their pilot erasable pens! AND I got these awesome element rubbers (not fire, water, earth- Helium, oxygen ect..) it has the atomic number, symbol and so on written on them! I got 5 at 40p each!
-Ag
-C
-He
-O
-As
Wilkos is also da bomb for the purchase of cheap and plentiful folders.
I got my clothes sorted, mostly consisting of t-shirts with punny puns on them or references to stupid stuff (Bazinga! TBBT is NOT stupid, keep calm and don't blink) 'cos I'm a total dork and didn't get a pauls boutique bag, a new blackberry and creepers like all my friends, which I suppose I'll regret...
Man, I can talk (type) a lot, sorry to bombard you with words like this...but you did ask :smile:
I don't have my educational books as of yet because I want to get the teacher recommended ones, but I'm pretty much sorted! Even got some vanilla perfume and some perfume that smells like a new book for all those book worms out there. And new glasses (they're red, very cheerful, makes me smile, completely necessary) aaaaand, I'm still talking, I should really sto-

I got the majority of mine from Staples, such a bargain right? :wink:
The Oxford stationery range is great and I have a bit of OCD when it comes to the thickness of paper, so I'm glad I got some books from there. Oh, I got some of their Staples' own brand notepads as well - £1 each and they look so fashionable haha. :-)

What's your bag like? I'm still to get mine. I've got about ten bags I could use, but reckon I'll get another. I don't know how much I'll have to fit in my bag, at the end of the year eleven I was basically carrying a bag around with my makeup bag, a bottle of water, two pens and whatever books I needed but this year it's folders and stuff, haha.

I bought an AS-level biology book so I could go through a unit or two before starting college, but I'm gonna wait to see what the teachers recommend for the others. :-)
Summer Kind of sucked for me, so I can’t wait to start 6th form!:biggrin:
Who’s with me?
I’m definitely content saying GOODBYE to all the immature bitches people in our school and those not-so-great teachers
But I guess I’m gonna miss how laid back everything was, I guess the thing I'll miss the most is all the friends I made. I don’t know anyone in My 6th form :sad:
Reply 1627
Original post by ElMoro
It was mad! I don't know if you've been East London Mosque but they opened their new extension and it was still fully packed! :biggrin: :biggrin: That's soo cool! Lucky guy! :jive:

Well done! :biggrin: :woo: :biggrin:

I got 6 A*s, 4 As but I got a C in one of my english lang units so hopefully the remark will bump my overall grad eup to an A*. I'm pleased :smile:

That's cool. Eid was ok for me :biggrin: :biggrin:

What are you taking at A-level again? :h:

I swear I replied to this post of yours earlier but I can't seem to find that post... :holmes:

Anyway, I've heard of how big the mosque is (never been there, though :ninja:) so I can't imagine how crowded it must have been. :eek:

Great, well done! :woo: I'll keep my fingers crossed for your English remark :crossedf:

That's good! :biggrin:

I'm taking triple science and double maths :biggrin: I don't know if I want to do medicine or something in maths later on... I would ask the same thing to you but it seems like an inappropriate question to ask you. :tongue: Are you applying to uni this year then? :smile:

Original post by Blueray2
Please rate some other members before rating this member again

So would have +1 reped you :biggrin:

Don't worry about it :h: It's the thought that counts :yep:
This'll sound silly but... At GCSE it obviously doesn't matter what UMS you got if.you have the grade right? Unlike a level... Asking because I scraped module grades... (in my defence I taught myself)
Original post by shadab786ahmed
This'll sound silly but... At GCSE it obviously doesn't matter what UMS you got if.you have the grade right? Unlike a level... Asking because I scraped module grades... (in my defence I taught myself)

I dont think Unis get to see your GCSE UMS. Also, the only University which asks for your A-level UMS is Cambridge.
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
I dont think Unis get to see your GCSE UMS. Also, the only University which asks for your A-level UMS is Cambridge.

I know just trying to make some conversation :tongue: hi :wink: I see.you like history, I love it too! :biggrin:

No, universities don't see your GCSE UMS. Cambridge is the only university that ask for it (although other universities will request it for specific courses) but it is important not to have a laid back attitude and to strive for each and every UMS available.

At my college if you achieve over 90% UMS in a module then you'll have that module highlighted in your reference. This obviously looks good, and it does help to justify any A* predictions.

If someone achieves an A overall and did so by scraping an A in each module, and a teacher predicts them an A* because they say need A*AA to meet the minimum requirements for a particular course, then they can't use module scores to justify the prediction and so it doesn't carry as much weight.
People asking if I am looking forward to college - YES! It's going to be so cool, because:
- Fun subjects, and therefore rewarding revision.
- Better teachers, the incompetent and unskilled teachers in some of my subjects in High school was appaling. I had to teach my self a lot of subjects.
- The work ethic, but of a strange one but I look forward to working extremely hard and beating everyone.
- Rewarding, the fact that with my satisfactory GCSEs for top unis, I could pottentially go to any university (probably not for the most competive courses) aslong as I work extremely hard at A-level.
- Equal oppurtunity - At my high school I was discriminated as less intelligent compared to the other students. Targetted D's and C's (I showed them! With my average grade of an A) and told "A-levels might not be the best route" for me was discouraging. Furthermore being put in low sets hindered what the teacher would teach me, therefore having to learn it all at home. At college everyone is taught the same material.
- Freedom - Not so much at my sixth form but still, more than at high school.
- Like minded people - People will want to learn and have a similar work ethic as myself, at my old school it was more about "drinking" and "smoking"
- University - With such an aspiration on the horizon it will be a strong work motivator
- Uniform - We get to wear suits :biggrin:
People asking if I am looking forward to college - YES! It's going to be so cool, because:
- Fun subjects, and therefore rewarding revision.
- Better teachers, the incompetent and unskilled teachers in some of my subjects in High school was appaling. I had to teach my self a lot of subjects.
- The work ethic, but of a strange one but I look forward to working extremely hard and beating everyone.
- Rewarding, the fact that with my satisfactory GCSEs for top unis, I could pottentially go to any university (probably not for the most competive courses) aslong as I work extremely hard at A-level.
- Equal oppurtunity - At my high school I was discriminated as less intelligent compared to the other students. Targetted D's and C's (I showed them! With my average grade of an A) and told "A-levels might not be the best route" for me was discouraging. Furthermore being put in low sets hindered what the teacher would teach me, therefore having to learn it all at home. At college everyone is taught the same material.
- Freedom - Not so much at my sixth form but still, more than at high school.
- Like minded people - People will want to learn and have a similar work ethic as myself, at my old school it was more about "drinking" and "smoking"
- University - With such an aspiration on the horizon it will be a strong work motivator
- Uniform - We get to wear suits :biggrin:
Brilliantly put, I hope sixth form/college lives up to all of our expectations. :biggrin:
College is a lot, lot, lot more fun :smile: Only studying subjects you like makes such a huge difference.

From experience though, it's a bit of a sink vs float test. Some people do really well and some people do really badly. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground.
Original post by A Light Lilt
College is a lot, lot, lot more fun :smile: Only studying subjects you like makes such a huge difference.

From experience though, it's a bit of a sink vs float test. Some people do really well and some people do really badly. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

This sjould make a big difference because studying for Maths is fun.I'm in Year 10/11,at the moment and have covered C1 and I see that this thread is struggling to move along,where thrashing you Year 12s,have a taste of your own medicine:biggrin:
Original post by g.k.galloway
-Ag - Silver
-C - Carbon
-He - Helium
-O - Oxygen
-As - Arsenic

*hands over cookie*
I'm so excited to start sixth form! Although, looks like I'll die, since I've chosen to take five!
Wow, might be a bit late, but I'm glad all the GCSE results day furore is over; been so anxious over the past week. Peace of mind at last. Officially feel like a Year 12 now. Can't wait for the new school year!!

I might be the only one here doing the International Baccaluareate instead of A Levels :biggrin: I'm putting myself through pain, but let's see if it's worth it lol

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DrumChops
Wow, might be a bit late, but I'm glad all the GCSE results day furore is over; been so anxious over the past week. Peace of mind at last. Officially feel like a Year 12 now. Can't wait for the new school year!!

I'm glad too! After all the news stories about the English GCSE results, I'm so happy I got what I needed to get in! I can relax now, and look forwards to starting sixth form!

Latest