The Student Room Group

Intercalation in London

Hi,
I'm about to go into my third year of medicine at Birmingham uni, and have been thinking about applying to do an external intercalation in London (my home town) next year. Right now I'm leaning towards Neuroscience, and looking at Imperial, St Barts, and Kings.
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about the lifestyle of doing an intercalated year at any of these places? Also is it very competitive to apply and what should I be doing this year to make my application better?
(I have passed my first two years and have around 70% average)

I would really appreciate any advice because it's feeling a bit daunting at the moment!
Thanks!
I'm looking to intercalate at Imperial, hopefully. There's a big information booklet that outlines the steps you need to take for external intercalation. It lists the application process, a summary of all the degrees and how many people apply/were accepted (which roughly tells you how competitive it is).

In 2011/2012, 6 people applied for the Neuroscience course and 1 was accepted. They had between 2 - 3 spaces available.

I've not read it in a while but from what I can remember they take into account all the years you've done not including the year that you apply in. So for me wanting to intercalate after my second year they would only take into account my first year results, which sucks for me because I got very low results for first year but hopefully they take into account other things than just exam results.

I'm afraid I can't help you with lifestyle and such.
Reply 2
Original post by T.M.E
Hi,
I'm about to go into my third year of medicine at Birmingham uni, and have been thinking about applying to do an external intercalation in London (my home town) next year. Right now I'm leaning towards Neuroscience, and looking at Imperial, St Barts, and Kings.
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about the lifestyle of doing an intercalated year at any of these places? Also is it very competitive to apply and what should I be doing this year to make my application better?

I would really appreciate any advice because it's feeling a bit daunting at the moment!
Thanks!

I'm going down to King's to intercalate this year. Considered Imperial too but their application process was so much longer (and you had to write a personal statement so I thought allow that). KCL do ask for your ranking in your year though, and because they give priority for their iBSc courses to their own students, externals will be given the remaining places based on their rankings. I didn't think it was that competitive this year though, because about 15 people from my year applied and we all got places.
Reply 3
Hey I'm a 4th/ 5th year birmingham medic who is intercalating at King's this Sept.

I'm not sure about the lifestyle aspect but after speaking to a lot of bham medics about it, they have said good and bad things about it but I've not met many who have regret it. The application process for each is different:

-Barts: short essay + CV + paper application form + interview
-Imperial: long essay + online application form
-King's: application form + essay depending on your iBsc

I think that king's and bham have some unspoken bond as everyone but 1 person who has applied for king's has gotten in. Imperial is extremely hard it seems as my flatmate was the only external student to get into the immunology program there and 6 external people applied for it. Bart's wasn't too bad, it says you need to not have resits but I had resits in 1st year and they made me an offer.

With your grades, it sounds like you have a very high chance of getting into the king's and barts atleast. You can always apply to bham as a back up as I know a few people who applied to london and bham as well.

Hope this helps.
Original post by T.M.E
Hi,

Thanks!

I went to Barts last year as an external intercalated student, but also applied to Imperial and Kings. It was probably the best year of uni I've had so far. There's tons of opportunity to get involved in medical school life regardless of what you study (I was in the school of engineering, so about as far removed from the medical school as possible). Kings really want your ranking within your year, and I suspect a good personal statement at Imperial and Barts can overcome any worries about academic performance.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I went to Barts last year as an external intercalated student, but also applied to Imperial and Kings. It was probably the best year of uni I've had so far. There's tons of opportunity to get involved in medical school life regardless of what you study (I was in the school of engineering, so about as far removed from the medical school as possible). Kings really want your ranking within your year, and I suspect a good personal statement at Imperial and Barts can overcome any worries about academic performance.

Original post by -steph-
Hey I'm a 4th/ 5th year birmingham medic who is intercalating at King's this Sept.

I'm not sure about the lifestyle aspect but after speaking to a lot of bham medics about it, they have said good and bad things about it but I've not met many who have regret it. The application process for each is different:

-Barts: short essay + CV + paper application form + interview
-Imperial: long essay + online application form
-King's: application form + essay depending on your iBsc

I think that king's and bham have some unspoken bond as everyone but 1 person who has applied for king's has gotten in. Imperial is extremely hard it seems as my flatmate was the only external student to get into the immunology program there and 6 external people applied for it. Bart's wasn't too bad, it says you need to not have resits but I had resits in 1st year and they made me an offer.

With your grades, it sounds like you have a very high chance of getting into the king's and barts atleast. You can always apply to bham as a back up as I know a few people who applied to london and bham as well.

Hope this helps.

Original post by Isometrix
I'm going down to King's to intercalate this year. Considered Imperial too but their application process was so much longer (and you had to write a personal statement so I thought allow that). KCL do ask for your ranking in your year though, and because they give priority for their iBSc courses to their own students, externals will be given the remaining places based on their rankings. I didn't think it was that competitive this year though, because about 15 people from my year applied and we all got places.

Original post by spacepirate-James
I'm looking to intercalate at Imperial, hopefully. There's a big information booklet that outlines the steps you need to take for external intercalation. It lists the application process, a summary of all the degrees and how many people apply/were accepted (which roughly tells you how competitive it is).

In 2011/2012, 6 people applied for the Neuroscience course and 1 was accepted. They had between 2 - 3 spaces available.

I've not read it in a while but from what I can remember they take into account all the years you've done not including the year that you apply in. So for me wanting to intercalate after my second year they would only take into account my first year results, which sucks for me because I got very low results for first year but hopefully they take into account other things than just exam results.

I'm afraid I can't help you with lifestyle and such.

Hey guys,

I was just wondering which degrees did you intercalate in?

I am very interested in intercalating in health care management at Imp or King's. I initially did find medical ethics and law and endocrinology interesting too. My biggest worry is the work load and intensity of the course and I was wondering if there is somewhere I can read more into the content of these courses . My worry is because I have not studied any sort of economics, I will struggle with healthcare management and want to be fully sure its for me prior to applying. Is there any advice you could give?

Thanks in advance
Original post by derma2019
Hey guys,

I am very interested in intercalating in health care management at Imp or King's. I initially did find medical ethics and law and endocrinology interesting too. My biggest worry is the work load and intensity of the course and I was wondering if there is somewhere I can read more into the content of these courses . My worry is because I have not studied any sort of economics, I will struggle with healthcare management and want to be fully sure its for me prior to applying. Is there any advice you could give?

Thanks in advance

If it's an intercalating course and therefore designed for medical students I doubt they will expect anyone to know any economics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As above - at Imperial at least, the course assumed no prior knowledge
Original post by HotCoco.
If it's an intercalating course and therefore designed for medical students I doubt they will expect anyone to know any economics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Original post by Blatant Troll
As above - at Imperial at least, the course assumed no prior knowledge

thank you :h:
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance

I know somebody who intercalated in the management BSc at KCL from B'ham. It is set up by the same person who set up the first one at Imperial and will be in its third year running when you apply. My friend seemed to really enjoy the BSc at KCL and really got stuck into the course. Apparently the speakers and opportunities it presents are really good as well it being incredibly eye-opening and practical (to complement lots of theory). Just be aware one of the major downsides of doing that particular BSc at KCL is that a group of you (up to 5 sometimes) write the dissertation - all of 4/5 of you submit the same piece of work so it's up to everybody to pitch in appropriately. It's partially luck of the draw who you end up with. This ended up being a massive bugbear towards submission time and depending on how fussy you are about having things done 'your way', I can see it as being very frustrating. Though overall my mate got a first so it can't have been too bad!
Original post by purplefrog
I know somebody who intercalated in the management BSc at KCL from B'ham. It is set up by the same person who set up the first one at Imperial and will be in its third year running when you apply. My friend seemed to really enjoy the BSc at KCL and really got stuck into the course. Apparently the speakers and opportunities it presents are really good as well it being incredibly eye-opening and practical (to complement lots of theory). Just be aware one of the major downsides of doing that particular BSc at KCL is that a group of you (up to 5 sometimes) write the - all of 4/5 of you submit the same piece of work so it's up to everybody to pitch in appropriately. It's partially luck of the draw who you end up with. This ended up being a massive bugbear towards submission time and depending on how fussy you are about having things done 'your way', I can see it as being very frustrating. Though overall my mate got a first so it can't have been too bad!

Thanks a bunch! :smile: any idea if it is the same at Imp with this shared dissertation?
Thanks a bunch! :smile: any idea if it is the same at Imp with this shared dissertation?

Sadly no idea. Find out if any of the unis do an IBSc fayre where you can visit and speak to staff and students on each of the courses. If not, maybe drop the course lead or administrator an email with questions?

It's the same. I didn't know about the link with Imperial, but certainly all of the above is an excellent and equally valid summary for the Imperial course as well. Most of the coursework is also shared. If you don't like group work, then that particular BSc is definitely not for you...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Blatant Troll
It's the same. I didn't know about the link with Imperial, but certainly all of the above is an excellent and equally valid summary for the Imperial course as well. Most of the coursework is also shared. If you don't like group work, then that particular BSc is definitely not for you...

Thanks again! I don't mind shared work, but I am very focused and willing to work to do well, so would hope that my peers aren't just aiming for the minimum. :smile:
bit late to this.. who's intercalating in London starting September??
I'll be at KCL doing Oral + Craniofacial Biology, all the way down to LDN from Glasgow!
Hi mate, I am!
I am intercalating in Endocrinology and from Keele Medical School.
Hello,

Is there anybody here intercalating this year? I will be applying to kings, imperial and barts for intercalation, I have an 80% percent average for my exams, however, there is one glitch I am worried about. In my first year, I had to do an assignment resit as I did not meet the threshold by 2 marks, so my transcript states 'Fail' for this section, even though I passed this in the resit. Do you think I will be considered inspite of this or will I be heavily disadvantaged? Please can somebody help!!!!
Reply 17
Please start a new thread with this question - this thread is old.

Also, this is not an appropriate use of the anonymous function in the medicine forum.

Latest

Trending

Trending