The Student Room Group

Help me, please.

Hello all,

I've come here hoping that someone can spare the time to give me some much needed advice, as I am so lost in my life at the moment and I aren't sure of much as of late.

First thing is first. In order for you to help me I'll give you some basic information about me (to avoid delay and confusion).

- 20 years old
- Full UK citizen
- Do not drive

Right, here goes nothing...

For the past ten years or so I have been amazed by computing in general and I've always regretted not doing something with the knowledge I have about them.

I was recently made redundant from a training provider who taught a range of apprenticeships across North Yorkshire and the Humber. My role there was specifically an Assessor, teaching people level two and three apprenticeships in IT. It was relatively easy for me as I have the knowledge that was required and I am great with people. (I hope that doesn't make me sound too egotistical.)

Currently I am making ends meat as a full time labourer for a guy I know who has very kindly employed me until the end of this November.

Enough rambling.

I have always regretted not going to study at a university because I want to better myself and have a degree behind me. The main thing that has always stopped me is the fact that I never tried during my GCSE's. I had the potential but I was young, dumb, and stupid. I didn't particularly care about life at that point. Now I wake up every morning and regret it all. Having said that though, as I was with a training provider I have managed to gain a bucket load of level two and level three vocational qualifications, as well as a level three apprenticeship. On top of this I have also managed to obtain level two certificates in Mathematics and in English as well, which equate to a C grade in GCSE. This still worries me though as universities may look down upon me. (Just to note, I never went to college either.)

I'm not sure who is aware of the QCF framework. Basically all qualifications are based on a credit value. By adding these up, depending on the level and quantity of qualifications a person does, they get a combined score which enables people to attempt university and what not. I have a fairly high amount for this. There is still the problem that people may look down upon it as it isn't an A level, per se.

So, if I attended a university then I would have to do some form of computer science or computer engineering course. The problem is, I aren't sure which one is for me. I want to have my own computer repair business eventually which probably indicates that I should study computer engineering. Maybe?
Someone please help here?

Also, I am tremendously afraid of the financial aspect of university as I would have to get a student loan and a part time job. I have accumalated a next to nothing £900, as I am God damn awful at saving money.

All of the university process scares me to death, but by not applying it's kind of tearing me up inside, if that makes sense to anybody at all.

Could someone please, and I seriously mean please give me some much needed advice.

If you need any more information then just ask and I'll give all I can.

Many thanks,
Reece

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending