The Student Room Group

Goldsmith University or Institute of Education?

I have been offered to study BA (hons) Education, Society & Culture degree at Goldsmith University and a BEd education top-up degree at the Institute of Education.

Which one do you think is the better option and why?
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
What did you choose in the end and do you think you make the right choice?

I have an offer from Goldsmiths and an interview coming up for Institute of Education so would be interested to know!

Hope all has gone well as no-one was able to offer any advice!
Reply 3
Omg, I am in the same situation. I can't decide between BA Education at IOE or Education, Culture & Society at Goldsmiths.

IOE has a better rep, but is a lot more expensive to go to and doesn't appear to have that community feel. Whereas Goldsmiths is much more cheaper and seems to have that community feel to it.

Where should I go?! I can't decide. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply 4
Original post by natcat123
What did you choose in the end and do you think you make the right choice?

I have an offer from Goldsmiths and an interview coming up for Institute of Education so would be interested to know!

Hope all has gone well as no-one was able to offer any advice!

Which have you chosen?
Reply 5
Original post by 08hasraf
Which have you chosen?

Not the original poster, but for my pgce I went for IoE. Reputation trumps it for me. Though I think for your undergraduate the experience may be more important, IoE looks like a place for serious business and you may not make as many lifelong friends when most students are doing 1 year masters or full time teacher training.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by adam_don
Not the original poster, but for my pgce I went for IoE. Reputation trumps it for me. Though I think for your undergraduate the experience may be more important, IoE looks like a place for serious business and you may not make as many lifelong friends when most students are doing 1 year masters or full time teacher training.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply!

That is pretty much what I was thinking. I applied for Education Studies rather than a PGCE, now I'm not not sure what level I want to teach at. Is there anyway I can get onto a secondary PGCE without having a degree in a subject or is that essential?
Reply 7
Thank you for your reply!

That is pretty much what I was thinking. I applied for Education Studies rather than a PGCE, now I'm not not sure what level I want to teach at. Is there anyway I can get onto a secondary PGCE without having a degree in a subject or is that essential?

I'm in primary so i may not be the best of help, but from what i know having friends gone through:

some subjects are easy to get on without experience, English being the first one that comes to mind. I'd also guess RE and sports science, but don't quote me on that.

If you don't have a relevant degree you have to demonstrate your competency in some other way. A science subject can be justified if your course was scientific (a friend of mine is doing secondary physics but did geology at his undergrad and masters).
Further experience can help, you may be able to justify ICT if your career was computer based.

What are you interested in and what have you done that may be relevant to it?
Reply 8
Original post by adam_don
I'm in primary so i may not be the best of help, but from what i know having friends gone through:

some subjects are easy to get on without experience, English being the first one that comes to mind. I'd also guess RE and sports science, but don't quote me on that.

If you don't have a relevant degree you have to demonstrate your competency in some other way. A science subject can be justified if your course was scientific (a friend of mine is doing secondary physics but did geology at his undergrad and masters).
Further experience can help, you may be able to justify ICT if your career was computer based.

What are you interested in and what have you done that may be relevant to it?

Thank you for your response!

I was actually thinking about RE, any idea how I would be able to do this?
Reply 9
Thank you for your response!

I was actually thinking about RE, any idea how I would be able to do this?

Best to talk to someone that has taken the route to be honest, but I'll try :

1. Decide between university centered (pgce ) or school based (itt). Pgce looks better on the cv but itt can be cheaper and easier to get into.

2. Find a uni who offers the course you want. Not all pgce s can be found in all universities.

3. Develop a good reason, you can't just like the idea of teaching because you have a lot of competition. Also avoid cliché answers like teaching is rewarding.

4. Get work experience and something to show your competency in the subject (can't help here sorry)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest