The Student Room Group

Do I need to go to a high ranking uni for computer science?

I am applying late due to some personal circumstances, and was wondering if I needed to go to a Russel group university to have better chances of getting a good job later on?
I've heard some people say that it doesn't matter too much for computer science, and that once I get my first job and try looking for better jobs, no one will look at the university, only the experience I got working my first job.

But then I've also heard a lot of people say it's best to look at league rankings and try to get into a high ranking one.

What are your guy's opinions? So far, I'm thinking of QMUL, City, Westminster, University of Arts, and Goldsmiths. I would put King's there, but they have no space and I am checking UCAS everday in case a spot has opened up.
I really don't think it does matter, as long as you like the modules on offer and you get opportunities to develop your CV with work experience
Hello Laloos,

It's great to see that you're thinking about your future career prospects before making a decision on which institution best suits you.

While a university's ranking can give you some insight into the quality of the programme and the extent to which a particular institution is valued and recognised in the job market, it is not the only factor to consider. Other factors such as student experience, course layout and student support are certainly worth your time and consideration. Ultimately, you should aim for a study environment that maximises your chances of academic success, and this cannot be determined by university rankings alone.

If your primary focus is on your career, you might want to consider the level of flexibility offered by the respective programme and institution. Some institutions offer distance learning programmes that allow students to easily combine their studies with part-time work or internships. This can help you build up a portfolio of work experience before graduation.
Our online BSc and MSc courses, for example, offer a great deal of flexibility, so they can provide structure when you need it whilst fitting in around your lifestyle. If this sounds interesting to you, you can read more about them here - https://bit.ly/47WCGZR

We hope this information was helpful and wish you all the very best with your decision making!

Best,

Sam
Reply 3
Original post by Laloos
I am applying late due to some personal circumstances, and was wondering if I needed to go to a Russel group university to have better chances of getting a good job later on?
I've heard some people say that it doesn't matter too much for computer science, and that once I get my first job and try looking for better jobs, no one will look at the university, only the experience I got working my first job.
But then I've also heard a lot of people say it's best to look at league rankings and try to get into a high ranking one.
What are your guy's opinions? So far, I'm thinking of QMUL, City, Westminster, University of Arts, and Goldsmiths. I would put King's there, but they have no space and I am checking UCAS everday in case a spot has opened up.
Ngl, the only people that really care about league tables are insecure y13 students lol. university rankings matter to an extent in the sense that to get the most out of uni you want to go somewhere with good teaching quality and facilities (remember that as Russell Group status is based on research quality, it is NOT necessarily a marker of good teaching)

Employers are interested in what your actual skills are and what you can bring to their company, not just where you did your degree, so once you're at uni make sure to do internships and projects that show you have the skills/knowledge that companies are looking for. the people i know that did internships/placements during their compsci degrees and have software portfolios were able to basically walk into high paying jobs after they finished (having gotten offers during final year from the companies they interned with).

This last bit is conjecture on my part - but I believe that the type of person that makes sure to build extensive employment-relevant skills and experience is also the type of person who is likely to get into a top uni and get high grades, leading to a false perception that the uni/degree classification is more important than it really is for future success
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Pedr0
Ngl, the only people that really care about league tables are insecure y13 students lol. university rankings matter to an extent in the sense that to get the most out of uni you want to go somewhere with good teaching quality and facilities (remember that as Russell Group status is based on research quality, it is NOT necessarily a marker of good teaching)
Employers are interested in what your actual skills are and what you can bring to their company, not just where you did your degree, so once you're at uni make sure to do internships and projects that show you have the skills/knowledge that companies are looking for. the people i know that did internships/placements during their compsci degrees and have software portfolios were able to basically walk into high paying jobs after they finished (having gotten offers during final year from the companies they interned with).
This last bit is conjecture on my part - but I believe that the type of person that makes sure to build extensive employment-relevant skills and experience is also the type of person who is likely to get into a top uni and get high grades, leading to a false perception that the uni/degree classification is more important than it really is for future success
thank you for the reply!
your response is exactly what my tutor said, but scrolling through some threads on here and reddit made me worried that i’m screwing myself over if i pick a non-high ranking uni. i was debating on whether to wait a whole year for the UCAS applications to open again and apply for a ‘good’ uni (will definitely not be doing that now).

i’m (hopefully) planning on doing summer internships
every year, and a placement year too.

btw, i agree with you on that last part.
Reply 5
There is also clearing as well once you have your grades. Last year there were spaces at Loughborough Leicester, Surrey, Reading, Swansea and others
Original post by Laloos
thank you for the reply!
your response is exactly what my tutor said, but scrolling through some threads on here and reddit made me worried that i’m screwing myself over if i pick a non-high ranking uni. i was debating on whether to wait a whole year for the UCAS applications to open again and apply for a ‘good’ uni (will definitely not be doing that now).
i’m (hopefully) planning on doing summer internships
every year, and a placement year too.
btw, i agree with you on that last part.
I think that the type of student who posts on The Student Room is not representive of students generally so it can present a scewed reality. For some people, prestigue matters but that doesn't mean that it should be for everyone. So as long as you are secure in your reasons for picking a course, then you will be fine.
Reply 7
Original post by Laloos

Go for the best university you realistically can go for and I say one option give it a long shot. Apply for a bunch. However, in the UK I don't believe if you go to a regular uni you would be in a bad spot. I know lots of people personally at the University of Plymouth working in tech companies. That being said I hear internationally people particually in China do care about prestige so in that regard yes it matters. Definetely, nowhere near as much issue as it is made out to be especially in the UK and even more so in the USA. Remember clearing exists.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending