The Student Room Group

More Edexcel Hell with January As results

After the initial elation of discovering that Edexcel were releasing As grades a week early via an internet site my day has now turned into dispair as it seems that (once again) there has been a cock up.

In order to obtain the grades each college is given a login name and password by Edexcel and then can access grades awarded to all students that sat the January exams through a website.

It seems that there is some problem with the login issued to my college that has lead to us not being able to access the results section of the website.

We have contacted Edexcel who have said that "they will help us within three working days" however this is little consolation when 30 people were promised results today.

Is anyone else experiencing these problems or is my college in a one-off situation?

By the time Edexcel fix this the "hard copies" will have arrived for the official results day next Thursday.

Scroll to see replies

Mark_KK
After the initial elation of discovering that Edexcel were releasing As grades a week early via an internet site my day has now turned into dispair as it seems that (once again) there has been a cock up.

In order to obtain the grades each college is given a login name and password by Edexcel and then can access grades awarded to all students that sat the January exams through a website.

It seems that there is some problem with the login issued to my college that has lead to us not being able to access the results section of the website.

We have contacted Edexcel who have said that "they will help us within three working days" however this is little consolation when 30 people were promised results today.

Is anyone else experiencing these problems or is my college in a one-off situation?

By the time Edexcel fix this the "hard copies" will have arrived for the official results day next Thursday.

That is very unfair. :frown:
Does it really matter?
I mean, is it really important that you get it now, rather than a few days?
Reply 3
Iluvatar
Does it really matter?
I mean, is it really important that you get it now, rather than a few days?

Yes it does, the reason being that we were promised the results at 2pm this afternoon. People have been on edge all morning and personally I have found it difficult to concentrate on anything but.

There will be no immediate implications of not getting the results today however as everyone knows there are certain psycological and mental aspects of results day that we have all lived through for no good reason.

All morning has been a mix of excitement, anticipation, worry and nervousness all for nothing. There have also been other aspects.

For example many of us telephoned friends and loved ones to tell them we were getting our results early and now we are left with the embarrasing situation of having to ring them again to tell them about the cock up. Either that or people will think that we have done so badly that we are too scared to reveal our grades.

I would have no problem with this whole thing except the fact that Edexcel made a big thing about releasing them today and how they were pioneering a new system etc etc...

BTW the other exam boards have distanced themselves from it saying that they would release grades at the normal times.
Reply 4
think about all the people that are not getting their results till next week.
Reply 5
bono
That is very unfair. :frown:

Is it unfair because we (Edexcel students) are getting our results earlier then everyone else or because it was cruel to promise us something that we are now not getting?
elpaw

:frown: (me)
Reply 7
elpaw

Thats not really my point, what I am saying is that I was quite prepared to wait until next week until Edexcel issued a statement saying that we would get them today.

My whole day (and 30 other students + more at other centres???) has now been a rollercoaster ride of emotion and anticipation and it was all for nothing.
Mark_KK
Is it unfair because we (Edexcel students) are getting our results earlier then everyone else or because it was cruel to promise us something that we are now not getting?

It is unfair that you were promised your results early although they have not met their promise.

However, on the other hand, if they did keep to their promise then I suppose this would be a tad bit unfair on those who use AQA/OCR, although Edexcel screwed up therefore this isn't the case.
elpaw

It didn't go to two rows elpaw :frown:
Reply 10
Mark_KK
Thats not really my point, what I am saying is that I was quite prepared to wait until next week until Edexcel issued a statement saying that we would get them today.

My whole day (and 30 other students + more at other centres???) has now been a rollercoaster ride of emotion and anticipation and it was all for nothing.

they didn't issue a statement promising that you would get your results, they issued a statement saying it was possible to view your results today. it certainly wasn't a promise. they probably had a disclaimer somewhere saying that software problems could happen..... you shouldn`t rely on computers to give you your results
Reply 11
Don't build your hopes up in future then. Lesson learnt I hope.
Reply 12
bono
It didn't go to two rows elpaw :frown:

at least your signature does...... :wink:
Reply 13
elpaw
they didn't issue a statement promising that you would get your results, they issued a statement saying it was possible to view your results today. it certainly wasn't a promise. they probably had a disclaimer somewhere saying that software problems could happen..... you shouldn`t rely on computers to give you your results

04/03/04 Onscreen marking: students get results one week earlier

Edexcel will this week release GCE A and AS results for the January 2004 modules a week earlier than the traditional date, following a successful pilot scheme employing onscreen marking.

In total, 2,788 centres will be able to access students' results from 8am Thursday 4th March 2004 through the secure website, Edexcel Online. The traditional paper versions will be released on the published date of 11th March.

Edexcel's computer based marking programme and new technology initiative have changed the way candidates' results are processed and mean that the board can release the data to schools early.

Jerry Jarvis, Edexcel's Director of General Qualifications, said: "Our primary aim is to benefit teachers as it allows an extra week for centres to analyse results and decide whether to enter for resits or make enquiries about results immediately on-line, or to enter students for the summer examinations.

"We will look at the results and reaction to this pilot very carefully and work closely with QCA before deciding how to take this modernisation forward."

Edexcel Online is a secure web facility providing a range of online information and support to centres. Launched during early 2003, the web facility has proved popular with exams officers, enabling centres to gain direct access to student data via a simple web browser, and to make enquiries about results. Future developments for summer 2004 include eligibility checks by teachers and will allow them to enter and amendstudent entries themselves. Over 3,349 centres are registered Edexcel Online users.

Schools and colleges will receive the winter module results a week later in the usual way, with the board sending an EDI (electronic data interchange) file at 00:01 hours on Wednesday 10th March 2004, and printed Individual Results Notices (IRNs) and summary forms on Thursday 11th March 2004, in line with published schedules and with the other awarding bodies.

Edexcel will have support teams available to help schools and colleges use the online results and centres are being advised that they can print and distribute the information to their students.

------------------------------------

If the above combined with contacting my college with a user log in and password isnt a promsie that we could access the results to day then what is?

To all extensive purposes, unless we are going to start arguing the technicality of the language used we were told that we were going to get them today.
Reply 14
James_W
Don't build your hopes up in future then. Lesson learnt I hope.

It seems people are missing the point, if Edexcel decided to not publish the a-level results on the correct day in the summer is it still ok to tell people that they should not build up their hopes?

Was it not just a couple of years back that hundreds of students missed out on univerisity places because Edexcel could not confirm their grades on results day?
Reply 15
My sixth form had received the username and password and had already printed out the results by this morning!
Reply 16
Dammit, its probably just my college then :frown:
Reply 17
So has anyone got results then??
elpaw
at least your signature does...... :wink:

:biggrin:
yeah, i got mine this morning for eng lang and geog was delighted as had been so worried about them.

Latest

Trending

Trending