The Student Room Group

How is Crooks developed and presented in of Mice and Men?

Hi can you please help me in my essay because i want to get a good grade so i do my english literature exam.

Thanks
Reply 1
:confused:please i need replies
Reply 2
Hi ive just finished my GCSEs and i am starting my a levels and i loved of mice and me, this is what i can remember so it wont be great. Crooks is one of the outcasts with Candy, Curlys wife and Lennie due to his status. However the fact that he is aware of his rights and gives himself power by asserting his rights (evident in the chapter when lennie goes into Crooks' room and Crooks starts scaring Lennie saying that George wont come back - this shows how little his power is but how effective it can be .The books in his room symbolise him knowing his rights and also Crooks' dream of one day being treated equally to everone else) shows he is actually more developed as a character then all of the other outcast characters even though he is of the lowest status. Also Crooks is portrayed by Steinbeck as a lonely character who just wants someone to talk to - when Lennie comes into his room and he says something along the lines of 'i can just talk at you and you havent got a clue what im talking about'
Hope this helps:biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by 15ISRA
Hi ive just finished my GCSEs and i am starting my a levels and i loved of mice and me, this is what i can remember so it wont be great. Crooks is one of the outcasts with Candy, Curlys wife and Lennie due to his status. However the fact that he is aware of his rights and gives himself power by asserting his rights (evident in the chapter when lennie goes into Crooks' room and Crooks starts scaring Lennie saying that George wont come back - this shows how little his power is but how effective it can be .The books in his room symbolise him knowing his rights and also Crooks' dream of one day being treated equally to everone else) shows he is actually more developed as a character then all of the other outcast characters even though he is of the lowest status. Also Crooks is portrayed by Steinbeck as a lonely character who just wants someone to talk to - when Lennie comes into his room and he says something along the lines of 'i can just talk at you and you havent got a clue what im talking about'
Hope this helps:biggrin:

Thanks alot im waiting for more replies
Reply 4
People where is the replies
Reply 5
People I need help please!!:confused:
Reply 6
Original post by omarzizo
People I need help please!!:confused:

Crooks is symbolic of a lot - he is lonely. He has no one for him.

He is segregated against.

He has only a few possessions, each of which means the world to him.

He is one of the only educated ones on the farm, and yet this means nothing.

He is always weary of the future.

Crooks to represent racism and symbolize the marginalization of the black community occurring at the time in which the novel is set.

Crooks’ is significant as he provides an insight into the reality of the American Dream and the feelings of all the ranchers: their loneliness and need for company and human interaction.

Crooks got his name from his "crooked back," this suggests he represents something different and he is not your average ranch hand. The reader has to decide whether Crooks deserves sympathy, or if he is just a bitter, cruel and gruff stable-buck.

We first hear of Crooks when Candy calls him a "******," this is meant as a white insult, in our time this would be seen as racism and unacceptable. This implies that the term "******" is acceptable and the time period is in the 1930's during the Depression era. The term "******" was used casually among the ranch hands and shows black people were seen as not worthy and lesser humans.

John Steinbeck describes Crooks' room in depths, "little room," and "battered magazines and a few dirty books." Steinbeck does this because Crooks represents something different like Lennie and Curly's wife.

Crooks is ostracised by the whites at the ranch and he resents this as he says “If I say something, why it's just a ****** sayin' it" and this shows his anger at being pushed to the side. Being oppressed has made him seem cruel and gruff, but also has turned him to self-pity and the notion that he is a lesser human. He says to Lennie "You got no right to come in my room.....You go on get outa my room. I ain't wanted in the bunkhouse and you ain't wanted in my room." He continues by saying that the whites believe he stinks and one can interpret this as a way of saying that the whites would find it a disgrace that a ****** should breathe the same

Crooks’ owns tattered books. Since they are tattered, it can be inferred that Crooks enjoys reading these books. Reading is a very solitary form of entertainment. It can be inferred that he is very informed about his rights as a working class, African American man

Lennie begins telling Crooks about George and his dreams of getting a place. Crooks, having been on the ranch for quite a while, has witnessed a lot of people with the same dream, stating "Nobody ever gets to heaven, and nobody never gets no land"(74). This in a sense, foreshadows that Lennie and George dream will be never be attained.

P.S This is all my information from the internet but if you put it in your own words, you might just get somewhere. Sorry this is all I can get since its been a while sinnce I did my GCSE's.. anyway good luck:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending