The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yeah cos it's got to be sent off in about a week and a half. Is it worth the extra effort?
Reply 2
Ooo, can anybody enlighten me? I'd like a shot!
Reply 3
UnfinishedSympathy
Ooo, can anybody enlighten me? I'd like a shot!

I think this competition is for AS students only.
Hey - Im planning on doing the oxford one as it has a later entry date and an open essay question, but thought about the vellacott one. im planning on entering if i find the time between revision etc which i suppose should be my priority!! Im not sure what ill do it on yet, something cold war/civil rights maybe. Completely irrelvant to my as topics, but still quite interesting. What have people chosen for the Vellacottt prize?
Reply 5
I was thinking of doing the question about "regimes change so things can stay the same" or something like that. I prefer vague questions so I can just get on and find my own things to write about.

What is the Oxford one like? I have tried looking on the interweb for info on it but can't find any??
Reply 6
Whats the prize anyway?
The Oxford one is called the Julia Wood prize..through St hugh's college. the winner gets a cash prize and then has their article published in History Today (or another similar magazine), and has a closing date of june 16th (i think!). I think you can find info through the college website, or if you google it im pretty sure it will come up.
confuddled101
The Oxford one is called the Julia Wood prize..through St hugh's college. the winner gets a cash prize and then has their article published in History Today (or another similar magazine), and has a closing date of june 16th (i think!). I think you can find info through the college website, or if you google it im pretty sure it will come up.

Have you sent your Vellacott entry yet?
TakeshiFan
Anyone else doing this, and if so what question?

Even though the deadline's flown past I just thought I'd comment since I've only just seen this thread. I did the 5th question on historical treatment of music:

'‘The thoughts which are expressed to me by music that I love are not too indefinite to be put into words, but on the contrary, too definite.’ (Felix Mendelssohn) Is this an insurmountable obstacle to historical treatment of music?'

But it was a fairly last minute enter and as such I don't expect to get anywhere with it, but at the same time I figured I'd nevertheless enjoy trying to answer the question.

Has anyone else entered?
does anyone know a website where we can get more information on the prize?
The prize? If I recall correctly it was £500 for the person who wins, £250 for second place, and commendations etc for the essays they felt were of a high standard I think. Basically a little something goes out to everybody who didn't send in a pile of poo?

Obviously though, we're all doing it for the intrinsic value and the stimulation that feeds our intrigue.
Has anyone entered the oxford one/is planning on it?
Reply 13
I entered the Vellacott one, I did "Was there a decline of magic in early modern Europe?"

It was hard and took about 2 days of research and work but I hope it turned out ok. Well done to whoever else entered, we'll just have to wait for the results now.

Incidentally does anyone know when we'll hear of the results?

Latest

Trending

Trending