The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Gnostic
Durham - Warwick is way overhyped.

i disagree! if you want to talk about overhype, lets talk about durham
Gnostic
Warwick is a 1960s poly, and it's not even in Warwick.

Durham is beautiful, a mini wannabe-Oxbridge.

wannable oxbridge says it all...usually the 'if you can't beat them, join them' motto works, but not in the case of universities. I agree durham is a good university but better than warwick? I'd say durham was more overhyped.
Reply 22
Mysticmin
I'd say durham was more overhyped.

TOTALLY!!!
Reply 23
Gnostic
Pick Durham - Warwick is way overhyped. The fact that the bitch bigncee says "warwick" proves it.

lol.
Reply 24
Gnostic
Pick Durham - Warwick is way overhyped. The fact that the bitch bigncee says "warwick" proves it.

If you want to go on gossipy prestige - then pik Durham. If you actually want to go on teaching ability and research - then pick Warwick.

If you want ridiculous building-related prestige, then pick Durham.
Reply 25
Bigcnee
If you want to go on gossipy prestige - then pik Durham. If you actually want to go on teaching ability and research - then pick Warwick.

If you want ridiculous building-related prestige, then pick Durham.

well said
Reply 26
hehe.. if i didn't recall wrongly, you are the RGS girl, right?
hmm.. I always thought you sounded like you have already made up your decision long ago about going to Durham...

Once you have decided on something, just follow you heart, don't let people swayed you....

Anyway, Durham is good =)
Reply 27
Warwick because there are fewer snobs :redface:
They're both great universities, whatever anyone on this board says. There's really little to separate them in terms of academic success, and certainly nothing in the eyes of employers (especially in the law, a profession which relies so much upon reputation).

Seriously, don't make the mistake of going to either of these because someone says it's "better". By this stage, you really have to make your own mind up based on the place and if you'll love it.
Reply 29
Which is more well-known amongst Singaporean law firms?

Certainly, big British law firms hire from both Warwick and Durham, so you have no worries there.

You said Durham might suit someone like you who’s not so much of a party girl… id question that assumption. I mean, there are lots of people into partying at both Durham and Warwick. You should’ve picked LSE if you wanted more anti-social people :wink:
Reply 30
lyd
Which is more well-known amongst Singaporean law firms?

Certainly, big British law firms hire from both Warwick and Durham, so you have no worries there.

You said Durham might suit someone like you who’s not so much of a party girl… id question that assumption. I mean, there are lots of people into partying at both Durham and Warwick. You should’ve picked LSE if you wanted more anti-social people :wink:

Both are not really as well known as say, KCL? If I really must pick one.. i would say Warwick is slightly.. (just marginal) well-known than Durham
Reply 31
lyd
You should’ve picked LSE if you wanted more anti-social people :wink:

do you speak from experience? i mean are you in lse and are people anti-social or do you just know ppl who went there and told you this? either way, being in london, surely one doesn't need to depend on their uni for a social life...?
lilsunflower
I have finally decided to make their final choice to read Law. Aaak! I'll probably choose by the end of this weekend :smile:. It's really worrying.

Just before I get cold feet again... IF you were me, would you choose to read law at Warwick or Durham?

I think you want to go to Durham. Seriously, they're both academically great, and a future employer is going to recognise that, and not think "oh, obviously (university x) didn't let her in". All the top universities are pretty equal to be honest, so don't let a couple of places on a league table convince you to go somewhere you wont be happy (because they probably only got a higher place because they had cheap accomodation or something - the guardian's value added score).

Best o' luck with your decision. Follow your heart! I sent my reply off last week and it was scary to do but everything is so much calmer now that I have!

Emma
xxx
Gnostic
Warwick is a 1960s poly, and it's not even in Warwick.

Durham is beautiful, a mini wannabe-Oxbridge.

I've heard a lot about Durham being an aleternative to Oxbridge, not that that really matters. However, it does show how high up it is in the prestige scale. it's a really respected uni, but so is warwick. the top unis have little difference between them and when u get to this stage i think you should just go on personal choice and preference. look at the websites, talk to alumni, look at job prospectives, accommodation, living costs, nightlife, rankings, teaching and research ratings and all that. Make an informed decision... but i guess at the end of the day if ur hearts still with durham, then u shud go with ur gut instinct and go there!!! good luck, let us know how it goes!!

Latest

Trending

Trending