The Student Room Group

Offers - question for year 13s

Hi
I’m year 12 but hearing about lots of students predicted A/A* and getting one or no offers when historically I think a student like that might have expected 4 or 5.
Medicine apart, ( that’s always been hard) what course have you applied for and how many offers have you got?
Suspect it’s about unis being made to over- enrol in covid so now very risk averse, just need to get an idea how bad it is before I make my final UCAS decisions
Is the issue worse in private schools?
Really grateful for any feedback!
Reply 1
Original post by Jgb253
Hi
I’m year 12 but hearing about lots of students predicted A/A* and getting one or no offers

This can often happen when applicants don't make sensible UCAS choices - and in particular when then apply to Oxford/Cambridge and make all of their 4 other choices are very high grade / high competition Unis. This almost guarantees you will get no offers.

The competition for Unis like UCL, KCL, LSE etc is insane - not because they are 'better' but just because of the supposed glamour of living in London, and therefore they get 1000s of applications and just having A*s is not enough to get you an offer.

Spread your choices - some outside London, and some with lower grade requirements - Manchester, Glasgow, Bristol, Durham, Bath, Southampton, Liverpool, St Andrews, Lancaster, York etc - and you are far more likely to get some offers and to have a sensible lower grade offer to make your Insurance choice.

How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending