The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

blissy
At New Hall we have offerholders next week. Do other colleges do it as well? Is anyone hosting/coming up?

what's offerholders? sounds exciting
Reply 2
UndiscoverdSelf
what's offerholders? sounds exciting

Oh yes, neglected to explain what it was! If you have an offer from our college you can come up at the end of Lent term for 2 days (one night) and stay with someone who is doing yout subject in the year above. They have formal hall and a nice evening and the next day have lectures, meet supervisors and DOS. I basically look after mine and show her a good time :smile:. I think our college does it because pool people are particularly nervous/undecided about coming or not.

P.s. It's all freeee and I get a free formal hall, breakfast and lunch. This is partly my motivation.
Reply 3
blissy
Oh yes, neglected to explain what it was! If you have an offer from our college you can come up at the end of Lent term for 2 days (one night) and stay with someone who is doing yout subject in the year above. They have formal hall and a nice evening and the next day have lectures, meet supervisors and DOS. I basically look after mine and show her a good time :smile:. I think our college does it because pool people are particularly nervous/undecided about coming or not.

P.s. It's all freeee and I get a free formal hall, breakfast and lunch. This is partly my motivation.

What? I don't think Newnham do that!! I may have chosen the wrong college after all...
Reply 4
I don't know if Clare are doing it, but we had a few kids around for the shadowing scheme a couple of weekends ago.
Reply 5
I got an offer from Caius and they haven't told me anything about something like this...so i'm assuming they're not doing it. It would be nice to come and see more of the college though.

G
Reply 6
yeh i'd love to go to that at newnham spesh as i was made an offer from the pool :frown:
Reply 7
Yea, lame colleges like that have to do something to at least get some people going there...
Reply 8
Yannis
Yea, lame colleges like that have to do something to at least get some people going there...

You'll have to do better than that, kid :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Yannis

I think it's a good idea.

And how arrogant are you to put your offer in your signature?
Reply 10
Helenia

He probably thought this thread was a place where he could "show-off" about his offer. He needed to get an ego boost somehow .
Reply 11
blissy how smart do you need to be for formal hall? coz i got sent a letter but it didn't say anything bout formal hall/dress code. thanks.
Reply 12
RachW
blissy how smart do you need to be for formal hall? coz i got sent a letter but it didn't say anything bout formal hall/dress code. thanks.

New Hall is reeeeeally laid back - I've even seen people in jeans (grads, mind you and we did moan that they weren't smart enough!). Nice top and trousers/skirt is fine. Noone really wears dresses unless it's superhall or a special formal hall (christmas, halloween etc)
Reply 13
blissy
He probably thought this thread was a place where he could "show-off" about his offer. He needed to get an ego boost somehow .

Blah, well considering that a lot of us are already here, and there are even more holding offers, it ain't that special!
Reply 14
Helenia
Blah, well considering that a lot of us are already here, and there are even more holding offers, it ain't that special!

damn straight!
Reply 15
Helenia

Lol, guess he decided he doesn't want to be seen as arrogant (though he sounds like it to me) because he's taken it out of his signature!
Reply 16
Tek
He does, however, have a point. New Hall has to encourage its offer holders to accept their offer by reassuring them of life at New Hall. Other more prestigious colleges obviously don't have this problem.

Maybe he does. But one person's idea of ugliness maybe another person's idea of beauty.
Reply 17
Veedy
Maybe he does. But one person's idea of ugliness maybe another person's idea of beauty.

The fact that New Hall has to do it at all is perhaps indicative of the fact that not many people find it attractive at all.
Reply 18
Helenia
I don't know if Clare are doing it, but we had a few kids around for the shadowing scheme a couple of weekends ago.

Pretty sure we don't do this, but I think we should. Really would be fun.

People should stop being so harsh on New Hall, if you're here you're here after all. I seem to recall Tek wanting to go to Peterhouse, so you're hardly in a position to talk anyhow. :rolleyes:

Alaric.
Reply 19
Tek
Peterhouse is one of the best colleges for history though.

Plus New Hall has the least number of applicants...ohh wonder why...ah yes, cause no-one wants to go there! Hence they pick people out of the pool, but people still don't want to go there, so they have to do this scheme to encourage people to take up their offers!

What an amazing circle that is.

Just out of curiosity Tek, why do you want to go to Peterhouse?

Plus, I happen to know some pretty damn clever people at New Hall including my girlfriend.

Latest

Trending

Trending