The Student Room Group

[EDEXCEL] Do you get full marks for the correct answer?

In Edexcel maths exams, do you get full marks for the correct answer even if you don't show any working out?

Scroll to see replies

No, you only get full marks by showing all your working and then getting the correct answer.
Reply 2
No, I think you can only 1 mark if you get it correct. Most of the marks are given based on your method - if you do show it throughout the paper with the correct answer you can get 100%.
Reply 3
This:
Original post by rainbow.panda
No, you only get full marks by showing all your working and then getting the correct answer.

Definitely not. I can tell you this from learning it the hard way. :emo:
Reply 4
Okay..It's just that i got a couple of specimen papers from edexcel and it says in the mark schemes under notes on marking principals

3. No working
If no working is shown then correct answers normally score full marks.
If no working is shown then incorrect (even though nearly correct) answers score no marks.
It really doesn't work that way. In my recent S1 exam, I practically got at least 3 questions wrong (one was worth 17 marks) and still got an A because the majority of marks are from working out and not the final answer.
At GCSE if you get the right answer you get full marks. Unless it explicitly says, showing all of your workings :smile:

At A Level:
Need to show some and most workings...
In some cases even just the right answer will score 0 marks... Don't ask me where but in one of the WJEC mark schemes...

My Username is really Poisson Distribution :mmm:
Reply 7
So whats the correct answer :confused:
The correct answer is that the right solution presented with no working will gain full credit in certain circumstances. If the question is a show or prove question then clearly you will get zero marks for just writing down the answer.

Good examination technique will lead you to present as much working as possible whatever the situation. Do not look for shortcuts or you are likely to fail to achieve your potential.
Reply 9
Original post by Mr M
The correct answer is that the right solution presented with no working will gain full credit in certain circumstances. If the question is a show or prove question then clearly you will get zero marks for just writing down the answer.

Good examination technique will lead you to present as much working as possible whatever the situation. Do not look for shortcuts or you are likely to fail to achieve your potential.

Cool. Thanks for your response.
I normally do show all my working, its just sometimes i miss some steps when i'm writing the method down. I was wondering if i'd lose out on that.

Thanks again for all your responses :smile:
Reply 10
you do get full marks if you have the correct answer with no working at GCSE
ive done edexcel unit1&2 so far..
:wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 11
oh and obviously if its those QWC questions, then yeah you have to show working out

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 12
if you just write down the answers for gcse edexcel linear june 2013 higher calculator paper would you still get full marks for only the answers out of 100?
Reply 13
No. Leaving aside the near impossibility of doing some of the later questions without writing down any working, 13 marks were in QWC (*) questions, trial and improvement or proof questions when you had to show clear working and give reasons for answers.
Will you still get full mark if you write a right answer and process, but you also write one more answer which is wrong?
For question 10b, I put down c = 5/2 or c= -3 since I thought there was 2 possible solutions, will I get a mark for that or lose a mark? (5/2 being the only correct answer)
I heard that there is an official rule for this - examiner will only consider the right answer if there is any working?? Is it right?
Reply 17
Original post by Lya Peng
Will you still get full mark if you write a right answer and process, but you also write one more answer which is wrong?

Normally yes, assuming both answers/methods are clear and the marker marks correctly.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'd like to please, having an inaccurate answer with nearly correct working/method or use of rule gains credit?
If the question is Algebra and you have a correct answer which you then turn into an incorrect answer, you will lose the accuracy mark. E.g. If answer is 2x+6 and then you say = 2(x+4) you would lose final mark.

Quick Reply

Latest