The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

yonanz
hey melson..i noticed in some past post when you mentioned you had aab. let me give a clear picture of law entry requirement for uk unis from an international student perspective

abit of a background about myself.i took a levels in 2006, applied to uk uni in 2007 for deferred entry in 2009, serve finish in ns dec 2008, suppose to enter uni this year but decide to take a gap year [this makes me out of school for a continuous 3 year period. gasp imba!] for personal reasons.ese

during the time when i applied, these are the requirements for the various schools

warwick-AAB
bristol -AAA-AAB
durham-AAA
leeds-BBB
leicester-BBB
qmul -aab
soton -abb-aab

and for the london unis i.e kcl lse and ucl
all require AAA for international students

so im sorry but even if a sterling lnat and a ps/rec doesnt help. your AAB will severely restrict if not completely obliterate your chance of entering into any of these unis as mentioned. why am i so sure? because all my friend and myself who applied with less than AAA were rejected. many of us seeked an official clarification from kcl and ucl and their stand was that the standard offer was AAA and it is highly unlikely they will lower it. it appears also that during that year when i applied in 2007, kcl has just official upped their entry requirement to aaa. so tough luck for all those who almost hit the 3As, including yours truly. i have female juniors who applied in 2008 and recieved conditional offers of AAA for KCL and UCL. UCL is quite strict and even with AAA one isnt guaranteed entry. for kcl as far as i know as long as you are an international with AAA and get decent marks for lnat you will be offered a place.

the importance of ps and recommendation isnt that big as many of you have imagined. the good thing is that for unis outside of london you have a high chance of admissions with AAB .bristol and warwick are pretty good unis which you have applied to...and you stand a v good chane for both. just note that the location of teh school matters as much as the reputation itself. you are going to study in that place for 3 years.. decide wat kind of enivronment you want to live in, as warwick and bristol are v different indeed. warwick is located in coventry, which is quite isolated and a bubble in itself, thought newcastle is just 45 mins train ride awawy. bristol is quite a lively city with good nightlife and entertainment. for me i think most sgreans are really city people and i would recommend bristol..but the choice can be personal and its upto u.

i hate to dampen ur hopes, just trying 2 give u a clear perspective. every sgreans who wants to read law in the UK will definitely apply to london unis, as will hongkies and malaysians, thus the stiff competition.that said, if u still think u stand a chance, by all means, apply to kcl and ucl. im just sharing my epxerience as a kcl and ucl reject with same grades as you, and having seeked an official clarification from kcl and having seen many of my friends and juniors with similar rejections.

i wish u all the best. if any ques feel freeto ask

ps: btw, you do not need to mug for the lnat. its really general paperish, it test more on your general knowledge and do not require any mugging for specific content.

Thanks for your very comprehensive reply. As for the standard offer, I do realise, from the correspondence with the tutors, that AAA is a almost-must-have for all applicant. Despite KCL telling me that people with AAB are very unlikely offered entry, I do know of someone who got into KCL with AAB this year after having been predicted at AAA, and yes, the person is from Singapore.

Just something, can I have a look at your PS? You may PM me. I just want to have a feel of the PS that SGs produce.
Reply 1581
yonanz
btw, you do not need to mug for the lnat. its really general paperish, it test more on your general knowledge and do not require any mugging for specific content.

that is very true.

and on a side note, which uni are you heading to then for 2010?
Reply 1582
melsonchun
Thanks for your very comprehensive reply. As for the standard offer, I do realise, from the correspondence with the tutors, that AAA is a almost-must-have for all applicant. Despite KCL telling me that people with AAB are very unlikely offered entry, I do know of someone who got into KCL with AAB this year after having been predicted at AAA, and yes, the person is from Singapore.

Just something, can I have a look at your PS? You may PM me. I just want to have a feel of the PS that SGs produce.

while what yonanz said must be pretty factual, but since you can apply this cycle and the next for your 2011 entry (if you can be bothered with a second app that is), i think its harmless to aim high for this round and just try out your luck, since you got a second round of apps you can fall back on in sept 2010.

well unless you are quite keen on that november-ord-but-use-leave-to-matriculate-in-sept plan
melsonchun

I'm actually a near-miss but was predicted AAA. Though I haven't seen anyone (who posted their profile, that is) with less than an AAA get into my university, they reviewed my case and decided to offer me a place so i'm pretty stoked!
Reply 1584
wforwudon
I'm actually a near-miss but was predicted AAA. Though I haven't seen anyone (who posted their profile, that is) with less than an AAA get into my university, they reviewed my case and decided to offer me a place so i'm pretty stoked!

congratulations. as i have mentioned, AAA isnt exhaustive and there are indeed cases when people are predicted AAA, given conditional offers, and when their A level results miss the condition, they are still allowed to retain their offer. but these cases are few and far between.

on a side note, its also a bad thing for people like me who already got the results. dang!
Reply 1585
gi.
while what yonanz said must be pretty factual, but since you can apply this cycle and the next for your 2011 entry (if you can be bothered with a second app that is), i think its harmless to aim high for this round and just try out your luck, since you got a second round of apps you can fall back on in sept 2010.

well unless you are quite keen on that november-ord-but-use-leave-to-matriculate-in-sept plan

as per what i have mentioned, dont let what i have said put u off from applying to UCL, kcl or any other powerhouses if u want to. sometimes if you never try, you never know.
Reply 1586
gi.
that is very true.

and on a side note, which uni are you heading to then for 2010?

my situation is unique. as to why is it so, i might disclose a little more later when i feel like it. lets just say this gap year was not really intended [who the hell will want one when one has already rotted in army for 2 years]

im probably looking at unis like warwick,bristol, durham and perhaps 1-2 insurance choice like leeds or leicester [the confirm can get in one]. unlike many of u guys, i will NOT have any more further tries while u can reapply again if u are still in army. so its impt for me to have some insurance as i cannt afford any more gaps years :s-smilie:

anyway, a word of encouragement here. what u guys must bear in mind is that if u want to practice back in singapore, a good honours degree is the most important. outside of oxbridge, it really doesnt matter much which uni you come from, as long as it is within the unis approved by the board of legal education sg. after my ns i have interned in law firms and spoke to employers and partners and this is the general view. degree allows u to be admitted to the sg Bar, results determine whether u get the interview, and interview determines if u get the job. after that its all about ur competency and abilities. no one is going to say..discriminate you just because u got a 2nd upper from a sch supposedly lower down the ranking list. legal practice is in actual fact quite different from the study of law itself, and when it comes to practice many of the things have to be relearnt again. a degree is just stepping stone, so dont be overly frustrated if ur 1st choice unis reject u.
Reply 1587
melsonchun

ur welcome. since u have potentially 2 more cycles to go, i suggest for you to be bolder in your choices. as i have said dont let what i have said discourage u from applying. u ain't there until ur there, get what i mean? just try, no harm at all.

im srry though i am not quite comfortable with sharing my PS with a stranger. that said, honestly speaking, PS isnt that important as many people make it out to be for international students.
yonanz
as per what i have mentioned, dont let what i have said put u off from applying to UCL, kcl or any other powerhouses if u want to. sometimes if you never try, you never know.

Haha, he's already secured a place to read law in KCL next year.
yonanz
ur welcome. since u have potentially 2 more cycles to go, i suggest for you to be bolder in your choices. as i have said dont let what i have said discourage u from applying. u ain't there until ur there, get what i mean? just try, no harm at all.

im srry though i am not quite comfortable with sharing my PS with a stranger. that said, honestly speaking, PS isnt that important as many people make it out to be for international students.

That would perfectly fine.. No problem!:smile:

On another note, I doubt I'll be applying the next cycle should I not get the colleges I desire this cycle. It will definitely put me through another unbearable round of stress and anxiety again. Life's gotta mova on!!!!!
Reply 1590
melsonchun
That would perfectly fine.. No problem!:smile:

On another note, I doubt I'll be applying the next cycle should I not get the colleges I desire this cycle. It will definitely put me through another unbearable round of stress and anxiety again. Life's gotta mova on!!!!!

i would say that if the london unis indeed reject u, the rest of the unis are perfectly fine as well. so if u indeed get either of the two, there is really no compelling need to reapply unless you have strong personal reasons. of course, all the better if u get the london ones. all the best
Reply 1591
melsonchun
Haha, he's already secured a place to read law in KCL next year.

i know. clarification..my "u" is a ubiquituous one referring to everyone here who does not have a place yet and is in the midst of applying.
yonanz
i would say that if the london unis indeed reject u, the rest of the unis are perfectly fine as well. so if u indeed get either of the two, there is really no compelling need to reapply unless you have strong personal reasons. of course, all the better if u get the london ones. all the best

Thankfully, the apps to the UK is not as complicated and holistic as apps to the US. Grades, PS and ref are usually all they require. For the US, the laundry-list of achievements on top on of your mind-blowing predicted grades, top-notch essays and glowing recommendations are not even a shoo-in for top schools, eg. HYPSM +2, because you're competing among the international pool of applicants, which makes it doubly hard.

Do you frequent CC? Just seen your user there too
Reply 1593
melsonchun
Thankfully, the apps to the UK is not as complicated and holistic as apps to the US. Grades, PS and ref are usually all they require. For the US, the laundry-list of achievements on top on of your mind-blowing predicted grades, top-notch essays and glowing recommendations are not even a shoo-in for top schools, eg. HYPSM +2, because you're competing among the international pool of applicants, which makes it doubly hard.

Do you frequent CC? Just seen your user there too

haha US apps. is one big headache. i rather do 5 UCAS apps than 1 US app.

and CC proved to be very very VERY useful for my US apps last year, although you have to scour through a lot of different opinions to find one really reliable piece of info.

so melson, why are you looking through CC? haha interested in US as well?
Hey people.
Anyone knows what is the awarding body for PSLE? Im trying to fill up my UCAS now :smile:
Reply 1595
Crystalline
Hey people.
Anyone knows what is the awarding body for PSLE? Im trying to fill up my UCAS now :smile:

PSLE? hahah, i dont think there is an awarding body for PSLE. cause other countries, have no primary school selection exam en route to secondary school, well at least in countries that i know of.. and you are serious about putting PSLE in? haha, just that, that thought never crossed my mind.
gi.
PSLE? hahah, i dont think there is an awarding body for PSLE. cause other countries, have no primary school selection exam en route to secondary school, well at least in countries that i know of.. and you are serious about putting PSLE in? haha, just that, that thought never crossed my mind.

lol.well,I just thought its better to state all the required qualifications.
Reply 1597
Crystalline

hmm, i see i see. ah well don't beat yourself over the fact that there is no PSLE listed on UCAS. im sure O-levels and A-levels are enough..
Crystalline

Hey,

I'm not sure if you're considering, but I think Edinburgh is pretty good for medicine? or do they have the bio pre-requisite that you currently lack?
gi.
haha US apps. is one big headache. i rather do 5 UCAS apps than 1 US app.

and CC proved to be very very VERY useful for my US apps last year, although you have to scour through a lot of different opinions to find one really reliable piece of info.

so melson, why are you looking through CC? haha interested in US as well?

Haha, I'm just looking through some.. Who knows i might just apply to a couple in a spur of a moment? UC berkeley , CMU, and caltech maybe? Did u get offers from any?

Quick Reply

Latest