The Student Room Group

education systems

Poll

which education system is best

Finland Pre-University
UK and US when it comes to university only
Can't comment on Singapore.
I think the United Kingdom is the best because it is welcoming to international students, the schools teach useful concepts, and the term dates have a good schedule.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Reply 3

Before we answer that question, what does "superior" mean? What are the outcomes of a superior system?
- That students are able to perform well in an internationally recognised test?
- That all students within the the same education system get the same opportunities to learn and progress?
- That students are encouraged or not, to think and problem solve for themselves?
- That students are encouraged or not, to ask questions and be curious?
- That success in standard exams is everything (or not)?
- That school is a vessel for creating economic units to power the economy or alternatively instils a curiosity for learning in general?

East Asia is very much focused on economic units that don't think or learn for themselves but get very high results in standard tests because they train for those tests. They also don't allow all to succeed. By contrast, Western education systems encourage creativity of thinking and curiosity in a system which is about learning for learning's sake.

How do you say which is superior? I know which I prefer but it all depends on your frame of reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending