The Student Room Group

How often do you skip your lectures?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I pay £6.50 per lecture.

But I do get loads of contact time. So pretty good value for money.
I feel really bad admitting this, but I barely attend lectures at all. I think I attended a few the first week of term in first-year, and then straight in the first week of second term in first-year. Someone actually asked me if I was in the right course! I tried to do better in 2nd year, but I ended up going from bad to worse and attended about 12-14 lectures across all my modules in the entire year.

Don't get me wrong, I do get good grades, and I always attended my classes/seminars (well, frequently enough anyway). I prefer my classes because the debate and socratic style of discussions really helps me internalise the content and get something out of the experience. Whereas sitting in a lecture hall with 50+ students for 2 hours while hearing someone rattle on and on, just bores me to tears and I get nothing out of it.

It's a matter of preference really. There's nothing wrong with preferring one method over the other.
Reply 22
Original post by arrowhead
I feel really bad admitting this, but I barely attend lectures at all. I think I attended a few the first week of term in first-year, and then straight in the first week of second term in first-year. Someone actually asked me if I was in the right course! I tried to do better in 2nd year, but I ended up going from bad to worse and attended about 12-14 lectures across all my modules in the entire year.

Don't get me wrong, I do get good grades, and I always attended my classes/seminars (well, frequently enough anyway). I prefer my classes because the debate and socratic style of discussions really helps me internalise the content and get something out of the experience. Whereas sitting in a lecture hall with 50+ students for 2 hours while hearing someone rattle on and on, just bores me to tears and I get nothing out of it.

It's a matter of preference really. There's nothing wrong with preferring one method over the other.

YAY! :smile:
I thought I was the only noob doing it.
Original post by Dukeofwembley
lol i love my course, cant believe its a degree and ill get paid greatly for it(electrical engineering)
im studying btec national diploma in engineering and im just wondering how hard is the course?
Reply 24
I haven't skipped any so far, but I only have one a week :tongue: I tend to be in uni (working in the studios) most days, so seeing as I'm already there... I'd quite like to skip seminars, because they're painful! But they've been useful for other stuff.

Paying £9k/year means I want as much contact time as possible too :colone:
I worked out I'm paying about £62.50 for each lecture... No way am I going to skip a single one.
I don't understand people that don't go to lectures on a regular basis.
Reply 26
A fair bit in year 1.
Almost all of year 2.
3rd year I skipped most of the first week and half of the second week but intending (as it's 3rd year) to ensure that I manage to go to them all..

I live 40 mins away from uni and my lectures generally are pretty poor, but the lecture notes are very good. I do spend a fair bit of time working to be fair and effectively teach myself... On a 2.1
Original post by dj1015
I pay £6.50 per lecture.

But I do get loads of contact time. So pretty good value for money.

what?! you pay just over a tenth of what I pay for each lecture!
:angry:
Reply 28
I skipped one-the guilt! oh my days

I`m such a nerd...
I haven't been to a lecture since January

In first year I found the lectures to be useless as all the material was either on Blackboard or covered through revision/extra reading. Only reason i didn't get a 1st was by flunking an optional module, so my decision wasn't a bad one. Apparently this doesn't change much in second year, so i doubt my attendance will get any better. My seminar attendance, however, is almost perfect. Because those matter a hell of a lot more.
Reply 30
In first year I skipped a lot went on holiday missed 4 weeks of term, only came in the last weeks after my return, second year same thing , final year missed about 4 lectures, I fixed up :smile:. Ended up with a 2:1, everything was on the blackboard online though
Haven't 'skipped' any yet, although i'm in 1st year and started properly 2 weeks ago! Although I did miss my lectures/seminars on the Thursday and Friday which have just been, with a good excuse though, crashed my car on Thursday on the way to Uni! :/
Reply 32
First Year I skipped around 5 or more lectures. For one particular module i didn't go for 2 months.
Second Year 0. :smile: and hope to continue this way
I've learnt my lesson
Two of my friends forgot to go to their very first lecture...
Reply 34
My mate didn't attend Any of his 9 am lectures on a Friday in third year, so he never actually saw the lecturer lol
Reply 35
I very rarely miss a lecture because I 'cba'... If I feel unwell I never force myself to go into uni 'cos I know I'll just feel awful and spend the whole time looking at the clock waiting to go home.
Reply 36
None so far, but intend to skip one next week, just because I know I won't learn a single new thing in it. That's the rubbish about being a foreign student at one of the traditional Scottish universities, in first year they teach you stuff which is unchallenging to an extent that you want to bang your head against a wall ... :mad:
Reply 37
I've skipped a few. One unintentionally, and one I skip each week because I don't learn anything from it (programming).
Reply 38
Original post by XxelliexX
what?! you pay just over a tenth of what I pay for each lecture!
:angry:

Old fees and doing an engineering degree. So I just get lots of contact time.
Original post by dj1015
Old fees and doing an engineering degree. So I just get lots of contact time.

Eurgh... I wish I was born a year earlier...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending