The Student Room Group

is it okay to miss lectures due to freshers flu

the workload is immense (law) it’s week five and i feel awful about skipping lectures so early instead of pushing through, but people tell me to just take a day or two off.

i’ve been ill for two weeks now and have a cough with a horrible migraine and a bit of a sore throat and just want to sleep all the time, do i just force myself to attend my seminars (which aren’t recorded)?
Original post by Anonymous
the workload is immense (law) it’s week five and i feel awful about skipping lectures so early instead of pushing through, but people tell me to just take a day or two off.

i’ve been ill for two weeks now and have a cough with a horrible migraine and a bit of a sore throat and just want to sleep all the time, do i just force myself to attend my seminars (which aren’t recorded)?

If you don’t rest your body will take longer to recover so you’ll struggle more. If there are non recorded sessions I would try to go to them. If you have recorded sessions no need to go live. If you don’t want to get massively behind you can do them in bed. Make sure you are looking after yourself by eating, sleeping and taking painkillers. Orange juice and lucosade is always good when ill
Going to lectures while you are sick isn't really going to be productive for you as you won't be able to fully engage with the material, and moreover you may well pass it on to other people!

If it's been going on for 2 weeks without clearing up you might want to see your GP too.

Hey there!

Genuinely put your health first. I had freshers flu during my first few weeks and physically could not get out of bed. I also didn't want to pass it to anyone else so I skipped my lectures for the week, purely because all my lectures were at the start of the week and my seminars were at the end so I could read the lecture slides from home and then ask questions in the seminar. I seem to remember my lectures feeling more empty on the third week after I got better and I think that was due to other people having freshers flu. As long as you catch up on the lecture slides and let your lecturer know that you're not going to be there, I think they'd rather you not come in and spread it to everyone.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi There,

Taking care of your health is very important, from my experience, going to lectures/seminars when you're sick is counter productive and often makes it harder for you to recover properly. If you can, take a day or two off and let yourself recover and prioritise your health, and you can always catch up on reading from home on your laptop/textbooks. Also, you can always ask your friends to give you a summary of the seminars if you can't go, and you can catch up that way.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope this helps. :smile:

-Ghala
(Official DU Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending