The Student Room Group

For required readings for UNI modules, are you always expected to make notes?

I took notes almost weekly so far but as the weeks pass by, the readings have increased and I feel like I simply can't take notes on all of them...is it okay if I just skip over some notetaking and just read?
Original post by Nice_100
I took notes almost weekly so far but as the weeks pass by, the readings have increased and I feel like I simply can't take notes on all of them...is it okay if I just skip over some notetaking and just read?

Whatever works for you, but note that if it's required, then it's expected knowledge come exam time. Ask a 2nd or 3rd year how much that matters on your course.

Hi @Nice_100,

Obviously you can't write extensive notes on everything so my tip would be try and summarise the main points from the reading e.g. for some of mine it could be what was the research they conducted and what was the result from this, any limitations. Other times it could be really important definitions or concepts. So these things would be important.

I think you just need to as you read figure out is that something you want to discuss in class or would it be beneficial for an assignment or is it a key definition or concept. Sometimes my lecturers will say what the discussion point of the reading is which can mean you can figure out the key points of the reading. To then be able to discuss in the next lecture.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

Hey there @Nice_100 !

My biggest regret from first year was not doing the required readings. They give them to you to make it easier when it comes to referencing for your assignments. I just didn't pay any attention to them and it made the essay process run a lot less smooth. So whilst you may not have to do all of them, choose the ones that will prove most relevant to your essay question and spend more time on that. I don't necessarily take notes on the whole thing, I skip to paragraphs that refer to my essay question or read the abstract to see if that piece of work has in it what I need.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hey there!

While taking notes can be essential, it's important to find a balance that works for you. It's okay to prioritize your time and focus on understanding the readings rather than taking notes on every single one. Remember, the goal is to grasp the key concepts and ideas from the readings.

Here are a few tips that might help you manage your workload more effectively:

- Skim through the readings before diving in. This will give you an overview and help you identify the most important sections.
- Focus on the main points and key arguments. Highlight or underline key sentences or paragraphs that stand out to you.
- Take notes selectively. Instead of trying to capture every detail, jot down the main ideas, supporting evidence, and any questions or reflections you have.

Remember, everyone has their own study methods that work best for them. Don't be too hard on yourself if you can't take notes on every single reading. What matters most is that you're engaging with the material and finding ways to comprehend and retain the information.

Wishing you all the best in your studies!

Take care,

Ilya:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending