The Student Room Group

deprived areas get lower offers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think some unis do and some dont. My mate wants to do medicine and he looked up St.Georges and they got this criteria which you need to meet so you fall in the deprived category. If you are, then they will make a lower offer than others.
Original post by Forum User
You're confusing two issues. Of course it is easy to much better than the average at a bad school. In fact it is easier to do it at a bad school than at a good school. But that does not imply that you aren't held back by the bad school. I only managed 2 A* grades at GCSE, but that was 100% of the A* grades in my academic year at my drab northern comprehensive school. I got 100% A*-C, when the school average was around 30%.

But even so it's fairly obvious that at a better school I would have done better and thus was 'held back'. If you don't think that's obvious then what do you think makes one school better than another if not the impact it has on student's final grades?

You can't be sure that you weren't held back by your school either. I have no idea what grades you got but how do you know that if you went to a better school you would not now have better grades, and instead of studying at BPP you would now be studying at, say, Oxford?

If you look at data I'm sure you will find that many less comprehensive school pupils achieve Oxford/Cambridge quality grades, say 5+ A*s than do those at private schools. One of the two major factors by far in that statistic will be the quality of teaching at the state school. The state school students having lower innate ability is at most a very minor factor (if it's even true at all). Therefore it is absolutely guaranteed that if, say, Oxford adopts a fixed standard of only admitting students with 5 A*s, they will exclude some state school students whose natural ability for the subject is better than those of some private school students who they admit.

I don't think you're seeing my point.
Reply 22
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
I didn't say 'no impact'.
I'm merely saying it isn't an excuse.
If the school isn't that good, you just work harder. It didn't do me any harm.

Work harder? How? When the school doesn't have the resources for you to educate yourself?

My high school was severely deprived, so much so now that its closed down. In my experience because I was predicted higher than average grades for that school so long as I was on track to get a C the teachers focused almost entirely on those who were borderline D/C. In many cases I was left to work out of a textbook while the teacher taught the less able students.

Another example. I managed to get into a decent college. My predicted grades were D/C for all my subjects, at AS I got ABCC, and at A2 I got ACC.

So for you to say that it has nothing to do with the school that you attend is ridiculous.
A patently unfair system.

As unfair as having a society where certain individuals are born into incredibly fortunate and favourable circumstances, amirite?

I have friends from very deprived areas in cities like Liverpool that I'm certain are far more intelligent (and better people) than your average private schooled straight into Oxbridge type.

I'm all for some degree of preferential treatment on their behalf if it means them eventually ending up in important and influential positions in the future over someone that just happened to have the right parents.
I don't think you're seeing my point.

I'm sure you're not seeing mine. Answer this honestly - why are you studying at BPP and not Oxford? Are you sure that BPP represents either the absolute limits of your natural ability, or the university that you would have picked if you had an open choice from any university in the country? If not, is it not possible that you would have done *even better* at a better school? I think if you say, no, I couldn't have done any better no matter what school I went to, I self-taught and there was nothing anyone could do to get me better grades than what I did, you are in a massive minority and probably being dishonest with yourself.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JA1994
Work harder? How? When the school doesn't have the resources for you to educate yourself?

My high school was severely deprived, so much so now that its closed down. In my experience because I was predicted higher than average grades for that school so long as I was on track to get a C the teachers focused almost entirely on those who were borderline D/C. In many cases I was left to work out of a textbook while the teacher taught the less able students.

Another example. I managed to get into a decent college. My predicted grades were D/C for all my subjects, at AS I got ABCC, and at A2 I got ACC.

So for you to say that it has nothing to do with the school that you attend is ridiculous.

Again, I don't know where you think I said this. I didn't.

I merely said it is no excuse.
I'm sure you're not seeing mine.

You seem to be making a point that is distinct from mine.

I'm not very much bothered by people being 'held back' - I'm merely saying they need to meet the requirements of the course they apply for.

If you apply for an AAA course, you need to get AAA - regardless of if you'd get A*A*A*A*A*A* if you were given all the resources in the world.
Original post by concubine
As unfair as having a society where certain individuals are born into incredibly fortunate and favourable circumstances, amirite?

I have friends from very deprived areas in cities like Liverpool that I'm certain are far more intelligent (and better people) than your average private schooled straight into Oxbridge type.

I'm all for some degree of preferential treatment on their behalf if it means them eventually ending up in important and influential positions in the future over someone that just happened to have the right parents.

Oh, bore off. People are different, okay? Inequality in a free society is inevitable and is not at all a bad thing.
You seem to be making a point that is distinct from mine.

I'm not very much bothered by people being 'held back' - I'm merely saying they need to meet the requirements of the course they apply for.

If you apply for an AAA course, you need to get AAA - regardless of if you'd get A*A*A*A*A*A* if you were given all the resources in the world.

No, I see your point, but I don't see the 'point of your point' - why do you think your last paragraph represents the best way of running university admissions? Why would it not be better to take account of subjective factors like the quality of school attended?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Again, I don't know where you think I said this. I didn't.

I merely said it is no excuse.

Like I said, when the school doesn't have the resources for you to work harder how is it possible?
No, I see your point, but I don't see the 'point of your point' - why do you think your last paragraph represents the best way of running university admissions? Why would it not be better to take account of subjective factors like the quality of school attended?

Well, I think we will just have to agree to disagree.
Oh, bore off. People are different, okay? Inequality in a free society is inevitable and is not at all a bad thing.

Well, if inequality is so acceptable surely it's kewl that these people are getting spesh treatment.

DWI brah.
Original post by JA1994
Like I said, when the school doesn't have the resources for you to work harder how is it possible?

What the kind of resources do you need to be provided?

Say you're studying English Literature. What resources would you need to be provided that you couldn't find on the internet or in a public library?
Original post by concubine

Ran out
but +1!
I didn't say 'no impact'.
I'm merely saying it isn't an excuse.
If the school isn't that good, you just work harder. It didn't do me any harm.

People still need guidence and resources. Just working harder isn't going to solve everything.

I think it is an excuse.
Reply 35
What the kind of resources do you need to be provided?

Say you're studying English Literature. What resources would you need to be provided that you couldn't find on the internet or in a public library?

Throughout a lot of my time in high school I didn't have the internet at home.

May I add that my mum couldn't drive at this point either, so getting to a library would have been difficult.

You need to take the time to understand people's circumstances before you make stupid and meaningles claims like 'working harder' can make you achieve better grades, and that the quality of schools you attend do not play a part in the grades you achieve.
(edited 11 years ago)

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

But in practice the vast majority of university admissions departments seem to agree with my view and disagree with yours, so that is at least prima facie evidence that your somewhat bald assertion that admission requirements 'should' be fixed is incorrect, in relation to university entry.

On the other hand, your view is backed up by, for example, the A-level grade requirements at large law firms (as I'm sure you are aware). Many of those firms have auto-filters at AAB and in that case it makes zero difference how awful your school was, because it's simply an automated 'pass/fail' test with no human input. However I suspect that this is simply a time-saving device because those firms get so many applicants, rather than a reflection of their view that only students with AAB can make great solicitors.

what's fair about life anyway......so long as you're good enough to get into uni, what does it matter if others get offered a slightly lower requirement.....unis are only going to accept people who they think will do well anyway. i think it's more about balancing the cards and allowing people more of an opportunity....
Reply 38

I agree. If someone want to do well they will take the relevant steps to achieve it.

You're going to make a rubbish lawyer. Piss poor debating in this thread to be honest..

You are at a massive dissadvantage going to a run down state school, and it's laughable you don't see it as an excuse. Ofcourse it is.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending