The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kiss
So? That guy wasn't much older than her - does simply being young make you automatically more susceptible to life's unfortunes? No. They were unfortunate but there is a huge difference in that she was stupid, he wasn't and was simply living his life until he killed himself. She made an attention whore out of herself in order to make people care about her and when that failed she decided to kill herself. Out of the two, which one do you think shows more resilence and dexeterity in their lives? I know the obvious answer for me.

If you are new to the internet then you'll be unaware of the 'rules' which apply online eg. Anonymous and the chans. Anonymous - because none of us are as cruel as all of us. Simply put, anonymity gives people the ability to voice their real views without fear of oppression. But half these people aren't anonymous online. If you've seen the facebook Sick Jokes page etc. then you'll see hundreds of people making jokes, liking things, commenting etc. because they know that in that context it's okay to make a sick joke hence the page name - if you and your hurt feelings brigade don't like it then don't join the page: unlike it, block it, ignore it. It's not doing you any harm, unless you can't stand knowing that someone else disagrees with you out there in the world.

'Somebody's feelings aren't free' - that is incredibly hypocritical. You wanted her to feel safe to express her sorrows when she was alive but you don't want people to express their opinions of annoyance when she kills herself? Make your mind up. You can't deter what types of free speech exist as it doesn't become free speech anymore, it just becomes limited.

And you, with all your efforts to call me and others pathetic or sad for thinking she was stupid for what she did, you are the one who is really pathetic if you want to limit the speech of those you dislike. The Nazis did it, the Soviets did it, now you're trying to do it. But beyond the locus of free speech is opinion. You don't just want free speech eradicated for dissenters, you want people to change their views on how they perceived Amanda Todd. That is going into deeply unethical territory, the door of which starts at free speech.

So you can either accept people will disagree with you and learn to live with it, even though many people already support Amanda Todd and her family's grief, or you can continue to try to force people to be silent about what they really think of what she did. The choice is yours, though I find it humouress that you'd no doubt not offer choice to others if this was the other way around.

You clearly don't have any understanding of what depression is. It's a mental disorder .... It seems like she had severe depression. If someone has a mental disorder, then they can't clearly think for themselves.

I completely agree with you that it all started due to her actions. But, who are you do make judgements about someone. Do you even know here, because the way you speak about her, is like you lived down her road (which I doubt).

Don't judge someone, until you know the full facts; not just look at it in a narrow minded way.
Original post by Kiss
The point is that someone like him, any ordinary undocumented case, goes unoticed, but when the media finds a sweet little white girl has died they make a frenzy. This is just an example, and I'd like to see your evidence on the guy being alive. And even if he did kill himself it doesn't eradicate the principle of what I stated above.

Does that make it right to say '**** that bitch, she was stupid, there are loads of others killing themselves?'

The right thing to say is 'RIP to her and all, but there are also lots of others killing themselves'. The people saying she is stupid, is a hoe, a slut, just another ****ing white girl and all that are just being disrespectful.

Also don't start a jigsaw puzzle until you have all the pieces.
Reply 22
Original post by jblackmoustache
There is no evidence to your argument. Simples.

She was suffering from mental health problems and also her experiences as a child proves she is not stupid. Put a baby in a chicken coop and he will act like a chicken.

Great response to what I put - just furthers what I was saying :wink:

Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Is that story about that guy real? I've seen him in another meme-like picture before in someone's sig with a joke about being a forum moderator...

I don't know for sure but as I said to Johnharris19944 it's the principality of the matter. By the time I've finished typing this there will probably have been about 7 people who've killed themselves, possibly in Western countries. But I highly doubt they'll receive the same stir crazy hype Amanda Todd's death got. And that isn't being insensitive, that's just a fact. The reason why people like myself are annoyed at her death is because of how hyped up it's been in the media compared with when others have died.
Original post by Kiss
Great response to what I put - just furthers what I was saying :wink:

LOL. No. You are totally ignoring the upbringing of this girl in your argument. You didn't know the girl, or the family.

How do you know how Amanda Todds life was? You don't get the full picture of someone from the internet. That's like me calling Mariah Carey a bitch simply from what I hear in the papers.

Get the full picture before you come to a conclusion, or you make yourself sound stupid. Your argument doesn't hold any weight at all. WHATSOEVER.

Ok people can make jokes and voice things as OPINION, but to try and sell it to people as fact like you are? Please. You don't have any scientific facts, you don't know her, you have no experience in working with young people (as far as I know)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
are you guys in tears over this girl?
Reply 25
You are totally ignoring the upbringing of this girl in your argument. You didn't know the girl, or the family.

Of course I didn't, which enables me to be as uncaring as I like. And even if I did know her it doesn't guarentee I'd like her or care for her, so you are actually being the ignorant one here.

Get the full picture before you come to a conclusion, or you make yourself sound stupid.

Ask yourself this: did you know Amanda Todd? You've spent ages trying to tell everyone to not judge someone they've never met and feel sorry for her but have you ever stopped to ask yourself that?

Original post by Hello:D
You clearly don't have any understanding of what depression is. It's a mental disorder .... It seems like she had severe depression. If someone has a mental disorder, then they can't clearly think for themselves.

You're on a student forum - please don't embarress yourself by telling me and other random students they don't know what depression is.

I completely agree with you that it all started due to her actions. But, who are you do make judgements about someone. Do you even know here, because the way you speak about her, is like you lived down her road (which I doubt).

Of course I can't know everything about her, hence why I don't feel as much sympathy for her. That was one of my main points.

Don't judge someone, until you know the full facts; not just look at it in a narrow minded way.

That goes for you as well.

Does that make it right to say '**** that bitch, she was stupid, there are loads of others killing themselves?'

The right thing to say is 'RIP to her and all, but there are also lots of others killing themselves'. The people saying she is stupid, is a hoe, a slut, just another ****ing white girl and all that are just being disrespectful.

Also don't start a jigsaw puzzle until you have all the pieces.

Wow. Thank you. You have solved the morality dilemmas of thousands upon thousands of years by telling not only me but the mass of others what is 'The right thing to say'. I think we can all learn from you jblackmoustache and I think this means the end to all the philosophical and relgious debates we have ever had! :smile:
Original post by Kiss

You're on a student forum - please don't embarress yourself by telling me and other random students they don't know what depression is.

Then stop acting like you don't know?

This isn't 4Chan. You have to back up your arguments.
Original post by Kiss
So what are you going to do? Make it illegal to access the internet for anyone who is vulerable until a certain age? Monitor the internet to catch insensistive people or people who voice disenting opinions? Ban the internet all together?

You can't simply force someone to care for someone they've never met and you can't expect people to not voice their views on one of the last places they can freely do so, although even that is becoming endangered. And so what if people thought she deserved to die - they shouldn't HAVE to think she didn't deserve to, they shouldn't HAVE to all agree with you.

Its a news story, anyone is entitled to their beliefs. This isn't anything like a KKK rally because it's not discriminating against a single race of people for a born quality they can't control, they're mocking her because of how stupid she was.

I think this image sums up why, for one reason, many people aren't that sympathetic to her:

I don't think that is a valid reason to be less sympathetic for her and frankly if someone uses that reason to justify being less sympathetic for her then that makes them a bit of a dick. We'd be better off giving everyone the same amount of attention but sadly with the internet and internet memes and your token brigade of internet warriors that isn't going to happen.
Original post by Kiss
The point is that someone like him, any ordinary undocumented case, goes unoticed, but when the media finds a sweet little white girl has died they make a frenzy. This is just an example, and I'd like to see your evidence on the guy being alive. And even if he did kill himself it doesn't eradicate the principle of what I stated above.

That picture is fake lol, dude's just been used as a internet meme for ugliness/social awkwardness for a decade. http://www.nordin.se/ - There's that dude's website.

The girl got bullied in her old school, she moved schools to stop it all. Guess what dude pops up again and spreads the video and the cycle repeats the guy made her life miserable. She became popular because the Canadian authorities hadn't dealt with this sort of thing very often and social sites like twitter,youtube and tumblr spread the new and such and then it became big.

How many people do you know that have killed themselves because some stalkerish person followed your life around to bring up your past. If you can find a few instances which should be easy because this sort of stuff happens all the time then fine.

Whats irking me is morons saying fine the slut deserved it shes a hoe and crap like that. She made a mistake she tried to correct that and leave it in the past but someone couldn't let it go and tried to bring it all up again.
I'm just bloody sick of going onto youtube and seeing all these channels putting up that Amanda Todd video, like it makes them so caring and deep. Bull****, they're just doing it so that they're not the odd one out
Many of you are arguing that because of all the news footage people wouldn't be as sympathetic, but the main way people have found out about this is by the internet warriors and meme uploaders. Through all the memes you all are making things worse. You are making people more sympathetic to her because people are disgusted by the behavior of people online.

I myself wouldn't have found out about this story if the internet warriors and other douchebags.

Why don't they make a page dedicated to others who have committed suicide instead if they feel that others are being ignored? Why not take action?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Kiss

Of course I can't know everything about her, hence why I don't feel as much sympathy for her. That was one of my main points.

That goes for you as well.

You spelt 'embarrass' wrong :rolleyes: Oh I do love the irony in this.

Other students .... actually, I was referring to you only. You clearly don't what depression is, or you wouldn't be making such comments, based on ignorance.

Quote me when you do enough research on the topic, and I'll happily continue with this discussion :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Kiss
So what are you going to do? Make it illegal to access the internet for anyone who is vulerable until a certain age? Monitor the internet to catch insensistive people or people who voice disenting opinions? Ban the internet all together?

You can't simply force someone to care for someone they've never met and you can't expect people to not voice their views on one of the last places they can freely do so, although even that is becoming endangered. And so what if people thought she deserved to die - they shouldn't HAVE to think she didn't deserve to, they shouldn't HAVE to all agree with you.

Its a news story, anyone is entitled to their beliefs. This isn't anything like a KKK rally because it's not discriminating against a single race of people for a born quality they can't control, they're mocking her because of how stupid she was.

I think this image sums up why, for one reason, many people aren't that sympathetic to her:

context please.

not exactly sure what she commited suicide over, but apparently the real story goes like this:

- she flashed to some 30 year old who she was into a relationship with through the web cam
- said 30 year old screenshotted it and used it to blackmail her to show some more stuff for him
- she refuses, and the guy spreads the pic around

although I think it is true she did hook up with the 30 year old who already had a gf, not sure whether she knew though :dontknow:
Lol, the merry band of ****ing idiots are out in force itt. If you truly don't give a **** about this news story like you suggest, where does an internet meme come in to your enlightened apathy? What sense does it make to support an insensitive and completely ignorant cyber-movement of pricks on the basis that you don't care? I thought it was disgusting when I read it, is that cause I'm a slave to the media or cause hearing about a young girl gradually driven to suicide by the unrelenting harassment of dickheads, misogynists and narcissists rubs me the wrong way?

The apparent line of argument here goes
-Many people commit suicide due to bullying
-Many of these suicides are unreported (interesting assumption)
-Therefore when one suicide gets media attention it's only fair and legitimate to make vitriolic and insulting comments about a situation you don't understand to showcase deep indifference

Excellent work, you insufferable ****ing dunces
I think it's publicised so much so that other people don't fall into the trap of letting personal photos get in the wrong hands, they know that it's in their control to stop themselves doing it. This is, of course, one of the extreme results, but that's why it's gained attention I guess. It basically left her with nowhere to escape.

Not sure how I feel about the whole Amanda Todd thing. But no one should be bullied, especially not to that extent. For me it doesn't make it any sadder if it's a girl or a boy, a child of 12 or a person of 40 who feels like that so I don't really understand the bitterness towards her as she is still a victim of some horrendous bullying and stalking, but there we go.

Having seen some of the posts, I also realise I haven't seen a lot of the actual press/reactions really so maybe that's another factor as to why it annoys me far less. No one should be pushed to the brink where they kill themselves though.
(edited 11 years ago)
QFA

I'm with you. I cannot believe the reaction amongst the people on facebook never mind on this website which is supposed to be for people with some form of education. As wrong as it is I'm not too surprised at facebook computer warrior idiots who have lived a sheltered life, but the response on here has shocked me.

The vast majority of people don't know the heart breaking, devastating sting someone who has lost someone close has to live with everyday. It's debilitating. What's worse is that this girl didn't die accidentally, she honestly believed it was better to die than to live through her bullying. How anybody here can just bleat "herp derp free speech derp" like some 15 year old pop politician with their pseudo liberal agenda is just baffling. I'm all for people being able to make jokes, after all humour is a fantastic coping strategy. But this outright "I don't care" "she deserved it" for a girl who made one mistake makes me lose faith in humanity.
Reply 36
Gtfo moralfag
Reply 37
People who are amused by her demise must have twisted ideals.

You don't judge a 14 year old's actions based on what an adult would do.
Original post by Tabzqt
Gtfo moralfag

Ooooo look at me i act hard over the internet i have no feelings and feeling emotion is for fags right. Shut up you sad person.
Reply 39
Original post by JCC-MGS
Lol, the merry band of ****ing idiots are out in force itt. If you truly don't give a **** about this news story like you suggest, where does an internet meme come in to your enlightened apathy? What sense does it make to support an insensitive and completely ignorant cyber-movement of pricks on the basis that you don't care? I thought it was disgusting when I read it, is that cause I'm a slave to the media or cause hearing about a young girl gradually driven to suicide by the unrelenting harassment of dickheads, misogynists and narcissists rubs me the wrong way?

The apparent line of argument here goes
-Many people commit suicide due to bullying
-Many of these suicides are unreported (interesting assumption)
-Therefore when one suicide gets media attention it's only fair and legitimate to make vitriolic and insulting comments about a situation you don't understand to showcase deep indifference

Excellent work, you insufferable ****ing dunces

calm down seriously

Latest

Trending

Trending