The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Washington DC is a wonderful city. It's very diverse, has many people from just about everywhere. It's small enough to be manageable- metro area is about 4 million- but big enough to have almost anything you need in the way of culture, architecture, nearby nature, night life, etc. It's a very pretty city too, quite lush and green, with flowers and flowering trees everywhere, particularly now. I love DC.
~the_one~
It also means that a large percent of the population, have a poor quality of life, cities arent the same when you go on holiday to them, and have to go to school/work/live in them.

A large proportion in London have poor quality of life too...i don't personally see how this 'diversity', ie having a council estate with feral, violent youth, druggies and the like at the end of the road whenever you're in a moderately prosperous area, which is basically how London seems to be, is a good thing:confused: I'd rather all the good stuff was lumped together en masse, as it seems to be in Paris
"feral, violent youth" like it, nice turn of phrase.
naivesincerity
A large proportion in London have poor quality of life too...i don't personally see how this 'diversity', ie having a council estate with feral, violent youth, druggies and the like at the end of the road whenever you're in a moderately prosperous area, which is basically how London seems to be, is a good thing:confused: I'd rather all the good stuff was lumped together en masse, as it seems to be in Paris

Yeah, we should really make all the poor people in London move away from the rich people and put them in ghettos. It's not fair that the rich have to see council estates blighting their skyline.
Reply 64
I've lived in London all my life and I absolutely love it :biggrin: Its got everything I could possibly want - and more. I will admit that a lot of us do believe that London is the centre of the whole world (even I do sometimes:redface: ).

I would say some of the problems are:
-Rude boi's and chavs aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. These idiots really peeve me off - especially when they're sitting at the back of the buses and pumping they're bloody music...........we don't need to hear. Also how they seem to think that they're the only one's to walk the streets and expect you to move out of their way in their holy presence.

- Rush Hour Traffic. During the rush hour and weekends you won't be able to get from one side of Oxford Street to the other in under 30-40 mins - it worse when the buses are packed - especially on those bendy buses which take up the space of god knows how many 'normal' buses. The tube isn't any better - normally it's quite reliable but the delays can really mess you around.

- Tourists. Some walk so bloody slow in the streets. Sometimes you just feel like shoving a rocket up their backsides :cool: :cool:

Hmmmmmmmm that rant certainly did me good :biggrin:
yelwalkietalkie
Yeah, we should really make all the poor people in London move away from the rich people and put them in ghettos. It's not fair that the rich have to see council estates blighting their skyline.

Good idea:biggrin: Seriously though, don't see why people are too PC about that..
once you start having to go past nice pikey youth who throw stuff at you and intimidate women, knock people off their bikes etc, which was what my sis' friends had to contend with in Islington, then will they be championing 'diversity'?
naivesincerity
Good idea:biggrin: Seriously though, don't see why people are too PC about that..
once you start having to go past nice pikey youth who throw stuff at you and intimidate women, knock people off their bikes etc, which was what my sis' friends had to contend with in Islington, then will they be championing 'diversity'?

Err, very few poor people are like that.
London? you have to be joking.. My favourites are Dubai and Florida. They're much better than London
yelwalkietalkie
Err, very few poor people are like that.

Well not given what I've heard. I'd imagine a lot of people, and I'm not talking about decent, moderately poor people, but people on the worst sink estates, are like that, especially the young ones
um, dubai is tiny in comparison to London... and Florida's a state
Reply 70
brooklyn123
London? you have to be joking.. My favourites are Dubai and Florida. They're much better than London

Dubai is a beautiful city
I don't like London Much
Reply 72
London is a really great city. My other favourites are Rome, Venice, and New York. For some reason, I felt safer in London and other places in Europe than I do in places in the States like New York.
sunny316
Dubai is a beautiful city

it's architecturally pretty, doesn't make a city though!
naivesincerity
Well not given what I've heard. I'd imagine a lot of people, and I'm not talking about decent, moderately poor people, but people on the worst sink estates, are like that, especially the young ones

So you've based your entire opinion based on a bit of hearsay? I live in a deprived area and 90% of the people I know (whatever their background) are respectful, 'normal' citizens making the most of their lives. Most of the rest of the people I know who are lazy and disrespectful happen to be from comfortable backgrounds - probably because they don't know how good they've got it. Obviously I don't think all rich people are lazy and disrespectful, nor that all poor people have wonderful characters. Meeting people from other backgrounds - whether financial, racial, sexual orientation, whatever - can only be a good thing as it (and this may sound cliche, but it is true) gives us different perspectives on the world.

Anyway, assuming your conclusion that "financially poor = a poor character", is it right that these people should be excluded from the rest of society even more so than they are already? A social problem doesn't go away if you just displace it.
Reply 75
I hate London. It smells of pollution, there are tonnes of pigeons, people are rude and even if they're not they can't speak english, you get burgled all the time unless you have a dog and the asylum seekers just keep coming and coming. I am escaping as soon as I can.
Reply 76
not
um, dubai is tiny in comparison to London... and Florida's a state

Its a large city... Beats London anytime.
sunny316
Its a large city... Beats London anytime.

Yep been there, hot weather, beautiful, very friendly, Hardly no crime, 50,000 hotels and much more.
yelwalkietalkie
So you've based your entire opinion based on a bit of hearsay? I live in a deprived area and 90% of the people I know (whatever their background) are respectful, 'normal' citizens making the most of their lives. Most of the rest of the people I know who are lazy and disrespectful happen to be from comfortable backgrounds - probably because they don't know how good they've got it. Obviously I don't think all rich people are lazy and disrespectful, nor that all poor people have wonderful characters. Meeting people from other backgrounds - whether financial, racial, sexual orientation, whatever - can only be a good thing as it (and this may sound cliche, but it is true) gives us different perspectives on the world.

Anyway, assuming your conclusion that "financially poor = a poor character", is it right that these people should be excluded from the rest of society even more so than they are already? A social problem doesn't go away if you just displace it.

Listen , I'm not by any means saying 'financially poor = a poor character' for the majority, but there are some sink areas whih get the worst people in a concentrated area, people who're a menace, even if they are a minority. I doubt you'd find kids knockin women off their bikes when they live in a posh suburb of Oxford or Cambridge
Reply 79
naivesincerity
Listen , I'm not by any means saying 'financially poor = a poor character' for the majority, but there are some sink areas whih get the worst people in a concentrated area, people who're a menace, even if they are a minority. I doubt you'd find kids knockin women off their bikes when they live in a posh suburb of Oxford or Cambridge

Um I think you get kids like that wherever you go. The kids in the oxford type countryside areas often are more so because they haven't got anything better to do to amuse themselves i.e the things city kids have.

Latest

Trending

Trending