The Student Room Group

US student coming to UK to study abroad

should I come to the UK to study abroad? I don't know if it's worth it, and if I'm going to be like, excluded at school, and I don't know if people would talk to me. I just need advice on what city to stay in or request, and what not to say to people over there, because according to my knowledge, the culture between the UK and US is different. Anyways, thanksss :smile:
You’ll be absolutely fine! Of course, nobody can answer whether you should or should not go to the UK to study abroad except for yourself, however, I would say that it’s a very friendly country and the cultural differences may not be as shocking as you expect. There will be many people in the same position as you, and especially in the larger cities like London and Manchester there are lots of other students from overseas including other Americans. London is a very diverse city with a great deal to do, and naturally is the obvious choice people go for with studying abroad in the UK. However, what are you looking for in a host city? I would say that smaller cities such as Bath and Edinburgh should not be completely overlooked, especially if you want a more ‘cultural experience’.
Original post by Anonymous #1
should I come to the UK to study abroad? I don't know if it's worth it, and if I'm going to be like, excluded at school, and I don't know if people would talk to me. I just need advice on what city to stay in or request, and what not to say to people over there, because according to my knowledge, the culture between the UK and US is different. Anyways, thanksss :smile:
Hi there,

It's great to hear that you are considering coming to the UK to study abroad! I am currently a UK student studying in the US, and it has been a wonderful experience so far!

As it has been said, it is ultimately up to you. You don't have to go anywhere that you don't like or feel isn't for you. However, I think the UK is a great location to study abroad. Generally, people are quite welcoming to international students. As long as you show enthusiasm and interest with people, they will often show it back. Get involved, be active within your community, and make the most of your time there.

If I was studying abroad in the UK, I would try to find a place with good transport links, such as London, Manchester, Liverpool - or any bigger city. Chester is also great for this. It is so easy to travel around the UK, and it would be a great thing to do while you're there. It also depends on what kind of university you are looking for. Which would be better for your major? Are you interested in a big city or small campus university?

Having experienced both, I'd say there are some small differences between UK and US culture. You might find that in the UK, they'd say things to you that you might find slightly rude or offensive - but it is often not meant that way! They can also be more reserved and less outspoken about politics, religion, and their beliefs which I have found to be a major difference.

Overall, I'd say that it would be really beneficial to do as much research as you can. Look into as many things as you can think of, e.g., culture, humor, food, weather, dress - and consider whether it would be right for you. It could also be a good idea to get a map up and see where you'd like to visit! There are some exceptional places outside of the major cities, so do consider those as well.

I hope this helps,

Isabella 🙂
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending